NFL 2008-09 Season

With all this talk about Arizona being a supposed lock for a one-and-done, I'm offering a challenge:

If Arizona WINS their playoff game, then I want to see the one thing that many of us have been clamoring to see and is less likely than a Cardinals' appearance in the NFC title game.

Care to guess what that is?

I don't think the argument is so much Arizona being "one and done" as it is they just can't win on the road, especially East of Glendale.

Perhaps the schedule will not be so brutal.

The Lions play the NFC West next year; other than Arizona, that's 3 easy wins!

Are you kidding me? You have not been paying attention to anything I've written this year. I will tell you right now - next season may not, (probably not), be any different. They may win 2-3 games, and only because it will be impossible for a team to go 0-32! I don't see anybody in the West that the Lie-ons can beat. I think the heat in Dubai may have gotten the best of you. Find some AC.:D

Are you kidding me? You have not been paying attention to anything I've written this year. I will tell you right now - next season may not, (probably not), be any different. They may win 2-3 games, and only because it will be impossible for a team to go 0-32! I don't see anybody in the West that the Lie-ons can beat. I think the heat in Dubai may have gotten the best of you. Find some AC.:D

Sabes is clearly hallucinating in the desert. ;)

A month or two ago, I felt that this year's Arizona Cardinals would be this year's equivalent of last year's Browns- great passing attack, good home record.

Yikes. At least Cleveland could run the ball last year and defend their house!

BTW, for everyone crying and moaning about the Pats possibly missing the playoffs with a likely 11-5 record, I am shedding NO TEARS for the Pats.

They blew their chances this year; that 3rd-and-15 against the Jets, all those turnovers against the Steelers, their inability to stop Ronnie Brown and the Wildcat offense in week 3.

Pats dug their own hole, and I think they'll be BURIED!

BTW, for everyone crying and moaning about the Pats possibly missing the playoffs with a likely 11-5 record, I am shedding NO TEARS for the Pats.

They blew their chances this year; that 3rd-and-15 against the Jets, all those turnovers against the Steelers, their inability to stop Ronnie Brown and the Wildcat offense in week 3.

Pats dug their own hole, and I think they'll be BURIED!

i'm not crying either and i agree they got themselves in this position but going 11-5 and missing the playoffs still stinks no matter who you are. i for one don't want the pats nor the jets in the playoffs.

HD, after reading your MMQB,

the only thing that surprised me is that you didn't call me out about the Cards.

Let's face it- I just threw away all the hard-earned respect I got for picking Texas Tech to beat Texas when I said, on this board, that the Cardinals would win in Foxboro and that the Pats were overrated!

Oops.

you got this one pretty much right :): {Dolphins over Chiefs- Miami is driving to make a miraculous turnaround, and K.C. suffered a loss that falls under Bill Simmons' "Dead Man Walking" way of losing- When a team just suffered a loss so catastrophic and so harrowing that there's no possible way they can bounce back.}

i had my doubts

i'm not crying either and i agree they got themselves in this position but going 11-5 and missing the playoffs still stinks no matter who you are. i for one don't want the pats nor the jets in the playoffs.

GOD oh mighty, I cannot believe I am gonna defend the Pats. IF ANYONE would have lost THE BEST PLAYER IN THE NFL, who HAPPENS to play THE most important position on their team....AND end up possibly at 11-5...

...You guys would have acted as if you just won the lottery.

...THEY didn't "get themselves in this position"...as the saying goes, sh*t happens and it happened to THE most important player on the team.

"Daze Of Our Lions" 0-15 edition

The Bad News -

No, it isn't 0-15. This is much worse. No it isn't 0-16, (which in my opinion is a foregone conclusion.) This is much, much worse.

William Clay Ford issued a press release yesterday concerning the future of the Detroit Lie-ons. - "He expects both Tom Lewand (chief operating officer) and Martin Mayhew (GM) to return to the organization next season." He also said that he hasn't made up his mind about coach Marinelli yet.
As for hiring somebody to take total charge Ford said - "Let's see who's available and what experience they have and what see if they fit any of our slots."

OMG! Somebody pull the plug on this guy. There is obviously no sign of brain activity here. Lewand has been here 13 yrs., Mayhew has been here 8 yrs.. You think maybe these guys are part of the problem? You want to go into next season, and the most important draft of my lifetime, with the same leadership that has gotten the team to this level of ineptitude? As for Marinelli - Take the guy out of his misery already!

Quotes of the week -

#1 Coach Marinelli - "They've been fighting. They didn't fight today."

I'm surprised they lasted this long, but to quit at home? No pride, no talent, no coaching.

#2 DE Cliff Avril - "It just seemed like nothing was going right for us."

Seemed? It literally went wrong, Cliff.

#3 Rob Parker Detroit News columnist - To coach Marinelli, "On a lighter note, do you wish your daughter had married a better defensive coordinator?"

Rob, funny, but really tacky. Still really funny, though.

#4 "Joey, Joey, Joey" Detroit fans chanting for Joey Harrington, former #3 pick of the Detroit Lions.

TOO FUNNY!

#5 "This is the ultimate right here. It's going to take some men to go into this game. Some guys might fold it up this week and say, 'Hey, you know, I have an injury, my hammy's bothering me or something.' "But you'll see the true NFL players, step up this week and say 'You know what? Let's not do this, Lets not be a part of history. Lets find a way to win this game and find a way to play in a tough environment and step up". - Shaun Cody DT.

Is that all it will take, Shaun? Why didn't just say so in week one? Yeah, we'll see the "true NFL" players step up next week - all two of them. (Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith). You guys will do this. 0-16 is your destiny, like it or not.

Highlights -

#1 We clinched the #1 pick in the 2009 draft!

#2 Kevin Smith 111 yds. rushing on 24 carries.

Play of the game -

First play of the second half from the line of scrimmage. The Lions have to call time out, and still get penalized for having 12 men on the field.

They knew for 2 hours that they would have the ball first in the second half, and this happens? Typical Lions. Football, as only they can deliver.

By the numbers -

0-15 An NFL record.

32 First Downs by the Saints, a club record.

11 of 12 The Saints third down efficiency. It would have been 12 of 12, but the 12th one was the "knee" they took at the end of the game.

0 The number of times NO punted. Way to step up defense!

532 Yards by the Saints, a season high allowed by the Lions.

0 percent chance I give the Lions of winning next week at Lambeau Field.

Have a Merry Christmas my fellow Lie-ons sufferers.

GOD oh mighty, I cannot believe I am gonna defend the Pats. IF ANYONE would have lost THE BEST PLAYER IN THE NFL, who HAPPENS to play THE most important position on their team....AND end up possibly at 11-5...

...You guys would have acted as if you just won the lottery.

...THEY didn't "get themselves in this position"...as the saying goes, sh*t happens and it happened to THE most important player on the team.

well yes that's true. when you consider that they lost their star qb and still have a chance for the playoffs that's pretty impressive. you're right. In other words the pats fans should be grateful to be in their current position I guess. you're right :)
but i still don't want to see them in the playoffs :D

And yet - injuries are part of sports. I remember a team from 1990 that lost its SuperBowl MVP quarterback in week 15, yet his replacement won out the season - including the SuperBowl.

Jeff Hostetler had only started 2 games in almost 5 pro years with the Giants prior to Phil Simms breaking his foot in week 15.

Backups have to step-up - thats the bottom line.

And yet - injuries are part of sports. I remember a team from 1990 that lost its SuperBowl MVP quarterback in week 15, yet his replacement won out the season - including the SuperBowl.

Jeff Hostetler had only started 2 games in almost 5 pro years with the Giants prior to Phil Simms breaking his foot in week 15.

Backups have to step-up - thats the bottom line.

i remember that and it was sweet! jeff later went to the raiders and did a decent job.i'm sure cassell will be somewhere else next season

Yep - I think the JETS need a QB. Don't you?

i do. especially if favre finally retires. they were quick to run chad out of town. what will they do if favre leaves after this season? not that he did a great job this season but i guess his presence in the huddle is important to the jets. the back up qb "i forget his name" isn't anything spectacular either. we'll see.

Last edited:
While you can't take away from what Favre has acomplished over his career (automatic Hall of Fame), for the past 3-4 weeks it has looked like he is one of those guys that stays past his time - he looked awful yesterday for sure.

I can't see the JETS having him back next year.

Greatest Team in Your Lifetime

What we love about sports

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)