NFL 2013 Off-season discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFL 2013 Off-season notes & transactions

Maybe he thinks that if people will pay Tebow for being awful that maybe he can get paid too. If Oakland ran an offense that let him win a game with only 2 completions like Tebow did in Denver then maybe his career would have been longer!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I had to check my calendar in insure that it WASN'T April 1st when I read this article.
NFL draft bust JaMarcus Russell is attempting a comeback
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...l-attempting-nfl-comeback-043914730--nfl.html

The good news is that his weight is down to 308lbs from 320lbs he weighed this past fall. He may have lost his job,but he obviously hasn't gone hungry.

I also should add that I had to make sure that this wasn't being reported by the Onion.

Is the SB going to be on the Roku this year?

I'd like to see the US feed and a foreign feed, like CTV Canada.

to be fair they should grant him this.

You might debate my opinion on Joe Flacco,but Alex Smith is as good as Joe Flacco,before Flacco upped his game this season. Smith can improve a lot of teams at their QB position. Arizona Cardinals,Dallas Cowboys,Jacksonville Jaguars,Kansas City Chiefs,& Cowboys come to mind. He may not get you to the big dance,but he'd be a lot better than the QB's these teams presently have(Tony Romo & Mark Sanchez comes to mind). I also believe that the Pittsburg Steelers should convince him to sign with them if he is released & becomes a free agent. They desperately need a better back-up for Ben Roethlesberger when he goes down to injuries.

I think that how Kaepernick performs in the Super Bowl will be the final determination on what the 49ers do with Smith. If Kaepernick falters(I think Flacco is better than Kaepernick at this stage) & Smith has to come in,& ESPECIALLY if he improves the play of the 49ers when he does,the 49ers will be hard pressed to NOT release Smith.

While in no way am I comparing Alex Smith to Terry Bradshaw,Smith being benched for Kaepernick reminds me of when the Steelers benched Bradshaw as starter for Joe Gilliam. Bradshaw had to replace Gilliam as starter later that season,led the Steelers to their first Super Bowl & win,& the rest is history.

I think Kaepernick is safe no matter what happens in the Super Bowl. He's their QB of the future, the future is now. Only thing that will bring in Smith is injury.

I really don't want a retread QB in KC, I'd rather whiff on a first round pick and pick high again next year, than be condemned to 8-8 seasons and mediocre picks while Andy Reid rebuilds the team.

I think Kaepernick is safe no matter what happens in the Super Bowl. He's their QB of the future, the future is now. Only thing that will bring in Smith is injury.

I really don't want a retread QB in KC, I'd rather whiff on a first round pick and pick high again next year, than be condemned to 8-8 seasons and mediocre picks while Andy Reid rebuilds the team.

I had no idea just how many talented players KC has.6 pro bowlers counting the punter.Besides the QB situation KC can't be far off from contention.

While I agree, it remains to be seen when Charles will run out of gas, and if we can keep other players that helped us be even as 'good' as we were last season like Bowe, who will be a free agent.

Most of the guys who made the pro bowl are good though, hope they're career Chiefs (Johnson, Berry, Hali, Houston, Colquitt, Charles).

Reid is a QB guy and gets a lot out of what appear to be lesser QBs (and then bends other teams over a barrel in trades for them), and builds playoff teams. Just not sure how long it will take for him to get to that point with KC. Hopeful, but tentative in the short term.

It has been 26 years since a QB drafted by the Chiefs won a game (Todd Blackledge, 1987).

I liked Collinsworth's comment during the pro bowl... you have this many all-pros on a team and only win 2 games... that's how a coach and staff get fired.

While I agree, it remains to be seen when Charles will run out of gas, and if we can keep other players that helped us be even as 'good' as we were last season like Bowe, who will be a free agent.

Most of the guys who made the pro bowl are good though, hope they're career Chiefs (Johnson, Berry, Hali, Houston, Colquitt, Charles).

Reid is a QB guy and gets a lot out of what appear to be lesser QBs (and then bends other teams over a barrel in trades for them), and builds playoff teams. Just not sure how long it will take for him to get to that point with KC. Hopeful, but tentative in the short term.

It has been 26 years since a QB drafted by the Chiefs won a game (Todd Blackledge, 1987).

I liked Collinsworth's comment during the pro bowl... you have this many all-pros on a team and only win 2 games... that's how a coach and staff get fired.

Yep I heard that comment.The only question I have about Reid in KC is,his commitment to the running game.KC has a lot of talent on the D,who is the DC?After Jim Johnson died Reid's defenses never did perform as well again.

That was a sweet pick 6 by Johnson.

I agree with your first part ...

The second part, not sure, IF you pick a QB in the draft, 1st round and they whiff in one year, would they have the money to try doing again the next year, most 1st rd QB's are VERY expensive.

Bob Sutton, I'd never heard of him. Reid mentioned wanting to bring in a 3-4 guy because of how much the Chiefs have invested in that type of personnel over the past few years.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/articl...rdinator/9c61cef8-7fcd-4197-a418-06b7c4a9f1f8

Sutton joins the Chiefs after spending the past 13 years with the New York Jets as an assistant coach, the longest tenure for an assistant coach in franchise history.

Most recently, he served the Jets as an assistant head coach/linebackers coach in 2012. From 2009-11 he was the club’s senior defensive assistant/linebackers coach. Sutton was the club’s defensive coordinator from 2006-08 and originally joined the Jets as the linebackers coach (2000-05).

“Bob is a creative coach that is going to give our defense a variety of looks and packages,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said.

“He has a lot of experience and is well respected across the league. Bob has a high football IQ and knows how to get the most out of his players.”

The 2008 season was one of the best for the Jets defense. The team ranked near the top of the NFL in rushing defense (94.9) and yards per rush allowed (3.7), their best statistical showing since 1993. Five defensive touchdowns were a Jets franchise record and Sutton’s squad registered 41 sacks, seventh in NFL and 30 takeaways were tied for fifth in the NFL.

During his time with the Jets, Sutton has helped develop many players, including then-Jets LB Jonathan Vilma, who finished with an NFL-leading 187 tackles, earning his first Pro Bowl spot in 2005. Vilma became only the third Jet in team history to be voted AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year after finishing the 2004 season with 118 tackles, two sacks, three pressures and three INTs.

Sutton’s coaching also proved beneficial in 2001, when the Jets were the only team to place three linebackers in the NFL’s Top 25 in tackles, with all three starters over 100 tackles.

Breaking the 100-tackle mark in a season is what Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson has done the past two years, finishing 2012 with 125 tackles, to lead the team. Johnson, along with fellow Pro Bowlers Tamba Hali, Eric Berry, Justin Houston (alternate) and Brandon Flowers (alternate) and the entire team defense will implement the lessons taught by Sutton, beginning day one.

The former Army coach (1991-99), Sutton began his career in 1972-73 as a graduate assistant at Michigan for Bo Schembechler.

As coach Reid alluded, coach Sutton will develop the best defensive schemes possible that put his players in position to stop the run, defend the pass and attack the quarterback. After all, Sutton has no problem with change, he worked under four different head coaches while with the Jets.

Bob Sutton, I'd never heard of him. Reid mentioned wanting to bring in a 3-4 guy because of how much the Chiefs have invested in that type of personnel over the past few years.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/articl...rdinator/9c61cef8-7fcd-4197-a418-06b7c4a9f1f8

Sure sounds promising.Again if KC can get at least decent play at QB,I honestly believe they will be contenders.If Houston can do it with Matt Schaub,then KC should be able to do it with Cassel or perhaps Matt Flynn,or Alex Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)