NFL Sunday Ticket--MPEG 4??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

harryz417

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
to make a great point....everyone is talking about getting 'free' superfan and discounted sunday ticket rates for renewal, that's great----but didnt we discuss LAST year (and shouldnt it be MORE important) to inquire whether or not ALL GAMES will be in HD MPEG-4?? not that crappy signal we saw, at times, last season,as well as SD on some games considered 'unimportant'...maybe the mods can help us here???

Haven't they been swapping out NFL fans boxes to mpeg 4 for about a year now... or was that just for the MLB ?

I would be very surprised if the ST was not mpeg4 this year.

Jimbo

ok, i never saw that----you think they would stress that as an advertising feature to lure customers? i hope that ALL games are in HD this year----last year was bandwidth issues, so they claimed

They advertise Superfan to get HD. There is no reason to advertise MPEG4 to customers, 99%+ wouldn't understand it.

They've already completed contacting existing subscribers to NFL-ST w/ Superfan that had only mpeg2 HD equipment to arrange a free upgrade.

If a customer didn't respond, they can still enjoy it in SD.

great news, thanks for the input----watching mpeg-4 on YES here in nyc is a big difference compared to other sports channels.....football games should be fantastic if this is the case

ok, i hope that ALL games are in HD this year----last year was bandwidth issues, so they claimed

------------------------
From their e-mail msg to me.........
URGENT! FREE HD UPDATE REQUIRED! Call 1-888-763-7772.
DIRECTV will broadcast nearly every NFL SUNDAY TICKET game this year in high definition with SuperFan. In order to enjoy the games in HD, we'll need to upgrade your current HD equipment. If you haven't already, call 1-888-763-7772 now to receive your free equipment and to schedule your free installation.

They have to hedge their bets in case CBS doesn't come through with all games in HD. Rumor has it CBS has internally pledged to do that but it remains to be seen.

They have to hedge their bets in case CBS doesn't come through with all games in HD. Rumor has it CBS has internally pledged to do that but it remains to be seen.

CBS has been talking about that for like 3 years now.

Heres a vote for a :down for CBS in this situation, all other HD stuff they do looks very good.

Jimbo

i hope that ALL games are in HD this year----last year was bandwidth issues, so they claimed
I don't remember them ever claiming bandwidth issues - if the network has an HD feed, then they provide it in HD. As of last year, the networks still were not broadcasting every game in HD.

They advertise Superfan to get HD. There is no reason to advertise MPEG4 to customers, 99%+ wouldn't understand it.

They've already completed contacting existing subscribers to NFL-ST w/ Superfan that had only mpeg2 HD equipment to arrange a free upgrade.

If a customer didn't respond, they can still enjoy it in SD.

Actually they called me and told me it was free...then said I would have to pay a lease. That's not free. Are they supposed to just offer an even swap? I bought my HR10-250, so I'm not willing to go from free to leased.

I don't remember them ever claiming bandwidth issues - if the network has an HD feed, then they provide it in HD. As of last year, the networks still were not broadcasting every game in HD.

the op might be referring to the fact the last 2 years, directv has shut some channels down (like TNT) to free bandwidth while ST was on. robert mercer, of directv, told us last year that ST would be mpeg4 this season and no channels would be turned off while football was on!

Actually they called me and told me it was free...then said I would have to pay a lease. That's not free. Are they supposed to just offer an even swap? I bought my HR10-250, so I'm not willing to go from free to leased.

It's the same $4.99 a month mirror fee on either owned or leased receivers, if that's what your concerned with.

It's the same $4.99 a month mirror fee on either owned or leased receivers, if that's what your concerned with.

I am as I have two receivers right now. One is owned, one is leased. I pass one $5 fee for the leased one. If I get a second leased one the CSRs have told me I will pay an additional $5 a month. It's not worth $60 a year.

I am as I have two receivers right now. One is owned, one is leased. I pass one $5 fee for the leased one. If I get a second leased one the CSRs have told me I will pay an additional $5 a month. It's not worth $60 a year.

I think you are still confused.

Your first receiver is free, no matter if owned or leased.
Your 2nd receiver is $4.99 a month, no matter if owned or leased.
Your 3rd receiver is $4.99 a month, no matter if owned or leased.
Your 4th receiver is $4.99 a month, no matter if owned or leased.

I think that is about as clear as it can be made. :D

So yes, if you add a 3rd receiver, it will cost you $4.99 a month programming mirror fee. It just so happens that it will be leased. But you'd be charged the very same $4.99 fee for that 3rd receiver if your brother in-law gave you an old owned DirecTivo or you bought one on eBay.

It doesn't matter that it's leased or owned. It's still $4.99 a month. So you're getting worked up over a fee that you'd pay even if you owned the receiver and it's the same fee that has been in place for 14 years. ;)

I think you are still confused.

Your first receiver is free, no matter if owned or leased.
Your 2nd receiver is $4.99 a month, no matter if owned or leased.
Your 3rd receiver is $4.99 a month, no matter if owned or leased.
Your 4th receiver is $4.99 a month, no matter if owned or leased.

I think that is about as clear as it can be made. :D

So yes, if you add a 3rd receiver, it will cost you $4.99 a month programming mirror fee. It just so happens that it will be leased. But you'd be charged the very same $4.99 fee for that 3rd receiver if your brother in-law gave you an old owned DirecTivo or you bought one on eBay.

It doesn't matter that it's leased or owned. It's still $4.99 a month. So you're getting worked up over a fee that you'd pay even if you owned the receiver and it's the same fee that has been in place for 14 years. ;)
Yeah. What a great policy.

Speaking of which, I'm supposed to return two of my unused receivers to D* so I don't have to pay excess lease fees, but they still haven't sent me the boxes to do so. May have to give them a little call..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)