NFL Sunday Ticket Question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cueman98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Cocoa, Florida
Hi all,

2 questions.

1. If I order nfl online, will I get the service on all 3 of my receivers?

2. Do I HAVE to have all 3 receivers connected to a phone line to get ST?

Thanks.

1. Yes

2. DirecTV says "YES" (random "phone home" calls to make sure you don't take you box to another location such as a sports bar or other mass attendance viewing) but I as well as others have boxes not connected, and never have been, that have worked every season, all season long. The actual programming authorization key is obtained through the satellite feed.

I have had it since the very fist season back on the BUD and it is great; although I , like the other, are still a bit upset of the massive price jump and that the HD portion was not spread out over ALL the DirecTV subs as opposed to just us HD users (as funny as that sounds), but it is still the best way to go for NFL IMHO.

nfl ticket question - blackouts

I live in an area where the Buffalo Bills are the local team. If they are blacked out on our local affiliate, will I still be able to pick them up on NFL Sunday Ticket? Thanks

Jackm said:
I live in an area where the Buffalo Bills are the local team. If they are blacked out on our local affiliate, will I still be able to pick them up on NFL Sunday Ticket? Thanks

Blackouts apply no matter what.

There is a way around blackouts. Have a friend that does not live in your area that gets Sunday Ticket to hook up a SlingBox or Snapstream Beyond TV. It broadcasts any video source over the internet. I got mine working pretty well. It is not good enough for 27"+ TV's but works great on a wireless laptop.

There are definately limitations but I am going to take advantage of it big time. My mom has DSL but no cable. So when I visit, I bring the NFL with me.

more info

Once your order with your remote shows up on your bill it will show up on all receivers and yes a phone line is not mandatory for the NFL ticket although if your order doesn't download through the phone line it won't show up on all tv's.

programming authorizations do not come down through the phone line, that is an outbound modem for PPV billing and random "phone home" calls. phone home requests and authorization keys are all sent through the satellite stream signal.

charper1 said:
programming authorizations do not come down through the phone line, that is an outbound modem for PPV billing and random "phone home" calls. phone home requests and authorization keys are all sent through the satellite stream signal.

I think what ed is saying is that if you ordered Sunday ticket with your remote and didn't order online or by calling D* and your phone lines are not installed it would only be active on that one tv since the other receivers would have no idea you ordered it. Thats assuming remote ordering hasnt been turned off, which I think occurs after a month or two of not calling in. If the phone line was connected it would upload that info to D* and the other receivers would be authorized.

Now if you activate online then it instantly auths all the boxes.

Payton Manning must be making a hell of a stipend for that ridiculous commercial! It's either that or he's enjoying his feather underwear. Either way it's pretty "girly" of him! :D

minorthr said:
I think what ed is saying is that if you ordered Sunday ticket with your remote and didn't order online or by calling D* and your phone lines are not installed it would only be active on that one tv since the other receivers would have no idea you ordered it. Thats assuming remote ordering hasnt been turned off, which I think occurs after a month or two of not calling in. If the phone line was connected it would upload that info to D* and the other receivers would be authorized.

Now if you activate online then it instantly auths all the boxes.

Thats my point.

1. DirecTV receivers do 0% programming from a phone line. This is an outbound modem to send up PPV order info if it exists.

2. They only get program authorization via the satellite feed signal.

3. I ordered the NFL and NBA via remote from the den and all four (3 not on any land line) received their "authorization hits" and showed the games just fine. No matter how you order the authorizations all occur the same way.

4. On very RARE (and I really mean RARE) occasions the modem will respond to a "phone home request" to verify that it is indeed "at home" and then if it misses Xamount, they can send a shut-down signal also via the satellite and not the phone line. This is supposed to be there way of fighting commercial theft of sports pack signal. (Pay for home use and then use it at a club or other mass-viewing location)

Since 1996 I have had this happen ONCE (in 1999) on my main receiver because the wife rearranged the furniture and we had no phone jack close. About six months later I got an on-screen message and had to call in and explain, they sent a "re-hit" while I was on the phone and that was the end of that. They will have to come up with an additional (or better) way to fight commercial theft of sports packages because the "land-line" issue is stone age.

charper1 said:
Thats my point.

3. I ordered the NFL and NBA via remote from the den and all four (3 not on any land line) received their "authorization hits" and showed the games just fine. No matter how you order the authorizations all occur the same way.

I'm assuming you ordered on the receiver with the phone line attached. If not them I'm completely dumbfounded as to how that would work.

For example if all your receivers are unplugged and you order Sunday ticket on receiver A. That receiver has absolutely no means to let D* or any of the other receivers in the house know that you ordered it. It doesn't send a signal through the Sat and if the phone line is unplugged it can not send the info to D* so they can auth the rest of the receivers. Receiver A would just be active because when you order with the remote its just authorized immediately and stored on the access card. Then when it makes a call it uploads the info to D* and the rest of the receivers in the house are authorized to watch it.

A quick and easy example of this is if you order PPV with the remote only that receiver shows it. Your access card on that receiver auths the channel and stores the purchase till its call. Now if you order that same PPV online it gets auth on all your receivers via the sat.

I also agree the land line issue is now stone age... I have vonage (And all my D* recievers connect up just fine, including my R10 tivo). I can take my vonage box with me if I want, and plug it in in a hotel room, etc. (which I do if I am traveling for any length of time) So I may be out of the US, but, I'm always calling from the same number.

As a newbie just getting ready to switch to Directv and order NFL Sunday Ticket, I want to make sure I understand what everyone is saying.

1. I can order NFL ticket via online or remote
2. As long as one of my receivers is connected to phone line, then the football games will be mirrored to all 3 receivers. True or False. This is important because my plasma/home theater is nowhere near a phone line, and my wife will divorce me if I tell her we need to spend more money to get my set up working just right.

Thanks for helping me to get this straight. Football season is fast approaching.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)