NHL 2008-09 Season

CANOE -- SLAM! Sports - Hockey NHL - Toronto - Leafs open for business

Defenceman Wade Redden has not even played his first full season as a Ranger and already he has been made a target by the unforgiving Madison Square Garden throng.
Redden was jeered almost every time he touched the puck last night, a humiliating turn of events when you consider he was playing in front of the home fans. In the first year of a five-year deal that will pay him about $6.5 million US per season, Redden has just two goals and 14 assists.

You could pay me in ice cream and even I would put up better numbers than Redden!

Pens ship Whitney to Anaheim for winger

For the second time in a little more than three months, Penguins general manager Ray Shero determined the best way to improve his team was by trading a popular defenseman.

On Nov. 16, the guy to go was Darryl Sydor — shipped to Dallas for another defenseman, Philippe Boucher.

Thursday morning, the Penguins dealt defenseman Ryan Whitney, once labeled by Shero as part of the franchise "core," to the Anaheim Ducks for gritty winger Chris Kunitz and prized prospect Eric Tangradi.

A lot of factors played into Shero's willingness to part with Whitney, a skilled offensive defensemen who in July 2007 was the first so-called "core player" he signed to a lengthy extension — six years, $24 million.

The biggest factors, though, were depth at defense in regards to skilled offensive-minded players and a dire need for an improved winger to play on one of the Penguins' two top scoring lines.

"With the emergence of Kris Letang and with (Sergei) Gonchar coming back and with Alex Goligoski and his development this year, it gave us one extra defenseman to try to get a top-six forward like we have with Chris Kunitz," Shero said.

Kunitz, 29, scored 16 goals and recorded 19 assists to go with 55 penalty minutes in 62 games this season with the Ducks. He was part of their 2007 Stanley Cup winning team and this season was their leader with 148 hits.

He is signed through 2011-12 at an annual cap hit of $3,725,000 — just $275,000 less than Whitney.

Kunitz is expected to play tonight at Chicago.

"It kind of came out of the blue, but when I sat down and thought about it, it's a great move for my career," said Kunitz, adding that he looked forward to playing with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

"The Penguins are only a couple of points out, and this is a (five-game) road trip. It's important for me to help us get points right away."

Pens ship Whitney to Anaheim for winger - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

I don't know if this will help.

Anyone see how many posts the Stars hit last night? I'm sure Mason would say that's all they had to shoot at after the opening goal :D

Bruins lose to the Caps in OT today.

Washington now 8 points behind Boston for #1 seed. I REALLY hope the Bruins don't have to play Washington in the playoffs! They're this year's version of the Canadiens (AKA- Bruins Kryptonyte)

I REALLY hope the Bruins don't have to play Washington in the playoffs! They're this year's version of the Canadiens (AKA- Bruins Kryptonyte)

That wouldn't happen until the East Finals or there's an upset.

Right now, I don't think Buffalo could beat Boston at all- no Vanek, and Ryan Miller's hurt.

New Jersey is good, but they are a one-man team (Parise).

Personally, I'd like to see the big boys battle it out in the conference finals- I don't want to see a mediocre team screw it all up.

Well Kunitz got his first goal as a Penguin to help them beat the Blackhawks.
During the strike season a few years back I saw a lot of Kunitz playing here with Cincinnati (now defunct). He was a beast. But I don't like that they traded Whitney for him. My expensive Pen jersey is now obsolete. :(

During the strike season a few years back I saw a lot of Kunitz playing here with Cincinnati (now defunct). He was a beast. But I don't like that they traded Whitney for him. My expensive Pen jersey is now obsolete. :(

I have two Mario jerseys. They will never be obsolete.:D

The thing I loved about older arenas are that they were LOUD like the old Spectrum and the Capital Centre ! Half the time you needed ear plugs.These giant new structures are just not the same.

The thing I loved about older arenas are that they were LOUD like the old Spectrum and the Capital Centre ! Half the time you needed ear plugs.These giant new structures are just not the same.

This is so true.

The same could be said for the old Boston Garden. There was a huge home ice/court advantage at the old barn.....................rats and all!! :eek: :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts