NHL Network - Actual Discussion

NHL Network signed their agreement with INtelsat today for uplink capacity. That's probably the last hurdle before it gets widely distributed.

the contract probably happened a month or two ago. When it comes to these type of press releases, the event being press released was usually contracted a month or two ago
and the press release comes out once the uplinked signal has been around a while or when the service goes live, as in this case.

Looking at this thread as a whole, if NHL Network doesn't go in the basic AT100 package and above like NFL Network, we know why the NHL continues to be the "who cares" league or why the NHL is the 10th best sport in the U.S. If the NHL cared to get fans back or make new fans, they'd have it put in DISH's AT100 so it gets the widest possible eyeballs.

and to answer another poster, the NHL probably won't go back to ESPN. By choosing VS., the NHL has chosen money over viewership so the only way ESPN would get the NHL back is if ESPN offers the most money for NHL national rights when the current VS. national rights contract expires.

That article is so typical of the Cable Industry. My son whom just got back from iraq, had TWC installed with HD, three weeks ago. His HD receiver was defective and they told him two weeks to get a new one. Wednesday, Dish is coming to do his install after he uses my club dish card.:)

From what I've heard TWC has received hundreds of emails in WNY asking for NHL Network. Hopefully they'll get it soon.

The only thing they have going for them right now is the exclusive HD broadcast of Sabres home games. And that's what's keeping me a customer of theirs. Once a satellite provider can give me them, I'm done with TWC.

Oh...and as for defective boxes...don't wait for a service call. Just disconnect your box, take it to your closest TW service center, and ask for a new one. They'll give you one right then and there. I've done it before.

Somehow I think there will eventually be an SD feed, considering how little bandwidth it uses I dont understand what the drawback would be.

You could always get an HD receiver. It will downconvert to SD. I'm not sure if this will be part of the HD package or with center ice. This info would be nice.. personally, i'm covered either way.

From what I have been seeing the NHL network is only in HD so I really don't think that E* can give us a SD feed.

I wrote E*'s customer service about the NHL Network and here was there response:

Dear Mr.,
Thank you for your email.
Specific information regarding your request for NHL Network is not currently available. We would like to add that channel, to make viewers like you happy, but we do not know if or when this will happen.
Please stay tuned to the monthly Consumer Charlie Chat (channel 101) and to our website's Press Releases page at (http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=dish&script=400). Unless you have received information from one of these two sources, it cannot be confirmed. Both of these sources will provide the latest programming package additions. These are the same sources our representatives use to update their information.
We thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to DISH Network -- Home or reply to this email.

Sincerely,
May C.
TID:OR-Chrysler
DISH Network eCare

ooh... don't like that, considering my dish install is this AM - what about those published reports monday that it was a done deal??

ooh... don't like that, considering my dish install is this AM - what about those published reports monday that it was a done deal??

Don't worry about that. They tell everybody that regarding new channels so they can get better ratings for the Charlie Chat. This network needs to go to something like the AT100 so they can begin to appeal to a wider range of fans. I'm not sure if it helps the NFL Network as they already have such a large fan base, but I think it would be greatly beneficial to the NHL to be viewed in so many homes.

Don't worry about that. They tell everybody that regarding new channels so they can get better ratings for the Charlie Chat. This network needs to go to something like the AT100 so they can begin to appeal to a wider range of fans. I'm not sure if it helps the NFL Network as they already have such a large fan base, but I think it would be greatly beneficial to the NHL to be viewed in so many homes.

Good point about making the channel available in the AT100 but the other thing a lot of people seem to be forgetting is the fact that it is already at a disadvantage in regards to the number of homes it will be available in simply because it will be broadcast only in HD at the time of launch. (Unless this has changed). I'm in complete agreement that it should be available much like the NFL Network and, at some point, maybe it will be. I know that the NFL Network wasn't immediately available only to AT100 subscribers; Didn't it start in the AT200?

Cade

And what providers are showing the NHL channel right now? Direct? Comcrap? Time Warner? Hmm?????

BHN in Orlando has it only in SD

really silly if dish chooses only to air the hd version

an SD channel takes up what, like next to nothing?

Anyone else not getting the feeds for any of the games tonight? I'm trying to watch the PHX vs. NASH game and i just get the Dish network splash screen...getting this with all other channels as well...is it just me? Thanks.

I have no idea what that was...

Anyways, I was over at the house of my brother and his wife and they don't have NHL Center Ice. However, he "moved" to the Charlotte area (as I did) before the baseball season began so he could see the Orioles, Reds, and Nationals (in addition the Braves). However, something odd happened on the NHL side of things (if it has been covered here before, I'm sorry).

Obviously, he gets the Hurricanes as the local team which is absolutely no problem to him. And, living in North Georgia, the two of us go to about three Hurricanes games a season and have yet to attend a Thrashers game. Anyways, last night while the Hurricanes were playing, we went up the program guide to SportSouth and the Thrashers were blacked out. However, when they showed the replay later that night (and I was still at his house), it was showing the Thrashers. Is the NHL blackout rules different and do they only apply to the games when they are live and not the actual replay?

Cade

I have no idea what that was...

Anyways, I was over at the house of my brother and his wife and they don't have NHL Center Ice. However, he "moved" to the Charlotte area (as I did) before the baseball season began so he could see the Orioles, Reds, and Nationals (in addition the Braves). However, something odd happened on the NHL side of things (if it has been covered here before, I'm sorry).

Obviously, he gets the Hurricanes as the local team which is absolutely no problem to him. And, living in North Georgia, the two of us go to about three Hurricanes games a season and have yet to attend a Thrashers game. Anyways, last night while the Hurricanes were playing, we went up the program guide to SportSouth and the Thrashers were blacked out. However, when they showed the replay later that night (and I was still at his house), it was showing the Thrashers. Is the NHL blackout rules different and do they only apply to the games when they are live and not the actual replay?

On replays,I have the sports package, and it seems to depend on which RSN you are looking at.
MSG seems to replay games without blackout but FSNNY blackouts all repeats. And some gollage football is blacedout on some RSN and not on most others. I does not make any sense.

On replays,I have the sports package, and it seems to depend on which RSN you are looking at.
MSG seems to replay games without blackout but FSNNY blackouts all repeats. And some gollage football is blacedout on some RSN and not on most others. I does not make any sense.
The replays shouldn't be blacked out. If they are its a mistake on either DISH's or the RSN's part. Don't really know what you could do for FSNNY, as you are right, they always black out replays, perhaps a letter to the NHL?

The replays shouldn't be blacked out. If they are its a mistake on either DISH's or the RSN's part. Don't really know what you could do for FSNNY, as you are right, they always black out replays, perhaps a letter to the NHL?

I have the sports pack and have noticed that some of the RSN's do not black out the replays. In baseball ALL the RSNS black out the replays EXCEPT MASN.