Nielsen Chart

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
New Nielsen chart is out, but with a change, Live TV via the likes of YTTV, Hulu Live, etc are no longer included in the streaming part, that is only for streaming services like Paramount, Peacock, etc, so that shows more and more people are preferring the on demand type viewing that those provides.

The streaming Live TV services have been moved to the Cable TV (which also includes Cable and Satellite) part of the graph.

IMG_1152.jpeg

from the link-Note: The streaming category does not include “linear streaming” (the aggregation of vMVPD/MVPD apps).

also this-

What is included in “other”?

Within The Gauge, “other” includes all other TV usage that does not fall into the broadcast, cable or streaming categories. This primarily includes all other tuning (unmeasured sources), unmeasured video on demand (VOD), audio streaming, gaming and other device (DVD playback) use.

I assume that Nielsen's "Broadcast" and "Cable" categories refer to the types of linear channels viewed, not the way they are physically transmitted. For instance, whether someone watches their local NBC station either via OTA antenna or through their Comcast Xfinity TV service, that would be categorized under Broadcast, not Cable.

Bruce how does Nielsen get this data now? i know it was set top box at one point and then moved to surveys. have they gotten sophisticated with their data capture capabilities or is it still surveys?

Reactions: Jimbo
Bruce how does Nielsen get this data now? i know it was set top box at one point and then moved to surveys. have they gotten sophisticated with their data capture capabilities or is it still surveys?
It explains at the link, basically a mixture.