Nightmare DTV Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cobraman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone from DTV customer support monitor these forums? Here is a nightmare install story. If you ever have an install scheduled with a company called DirectSat, ask to have it assigned to someone else.

The first tech they sent out said the install would not work because the cable run to the furthest part of the house may be too long and there would be a signal loss. I have Dish now and he told me DTV equipment was inferior and would not work. Also told me after he installed and if it did not work I would be stuck with the install and the commitment. I sent him packing and called DTV.

DTV then sent the company back out. They sent two supervisors out who told me the first tech was full of it and they rescheduled the install for 2 days later. On the morning of the install, I receive a call from the supervisor who was at my house to inform me that someone at the company screwed up my appointment and had reschedule it for 5 days later even though I had been promised by him and had an email from DTV the install was supposed to be done that day.

Another call to DTV and got to a supervisor after being on hold for 30 minutes. The supervisor agreed this was wrong and sent a message to DirectSat telling them to get out here immediately. I also confirmed when I was on the phone that the change I had made after placing my order to have 2 DVR's installed was in the computer which she told me was there.

Tech arrives 2 hours later. Tells me there are not 2 DVR's on the order and gets DTV on the phone. DTV person tells me he is fixing the order but will have to remake the order but since it was a Costco order I would have to call Costco after the install was done to rearrange to get my rebates. OK, no big deal since Costco is easy to deal with. DTV says to give phone back to tech. DTV tells tech order has been cancelled and "I have to restart the entire order" therefore the install appointment is no good and he can leave. He hangs up with DTV person before he tells me this.

I can't get anyone intelligent back on the phone from DTV and am back in the queue for a supervisor and am number 15 which means my hold time is probably an hour or more. The installer is not willing to do anything or to make calls to any of the numbers he has. Finally told him to leave.

I finally get the order reset and appointment rescheduled for 5 days later. They send the same guy back out and he refuses to do the job because I asked him to leave the last time he was here. He says he can not work at my house because it is not a good working environment based upon our last contact.

I am still waiting to here what DTV's next move is going to be

Contact the office of the president. The email address has been posted numerous times here. Perhaps Stonecold can help you out. Clearly you have been getting the run-a-round.

I'd be pissed too. Your other option is finding a local installer to go through for everything. You would lose your Costco deal, but would probably get a reputable installer that way. I would start with Chip's suggestion first.

I'd be pissed too. Your other option is finding a local installer to go through for everything. You would lose your Costco deal, but would probably get a reputable installer that way. I would start with Chip's suggestion first.

Every company has a few bad apples.
Seems like this one is worse.

However, when you told the guy to leave, did you politely ask him to leave or due to frustration did it sound a little something like "get the F@&! out of here"?
Although I wouldn't blame you if you did, I have a tendency not to work at houses where the people are belligerent.

Honestly, it sounds like you have a PITA job (not your fault) that nobody wants to do.
However, I don't know why if you are getting two HD/DVR's since it will be SWM and there are already cables there, they most likely won't have to run new ones.

I would suggest setting up a new account with Cosco and have them type in the notes not to send anyone from DirectSat out there.
Can't promise it will work, but it might.

Every company has a few bad apples.
Seems like this one is worse.

However, when you told the guy to leave, did you politely ask him to leave or due to frustration did it sound a little something like "get the F@&! out of here"?
Although I wouldn't blame you if you did, I have a tendency not to work at houses where the people are belligerent.

Honestly, it sounds like you have a PITA job (not your fault) that nobody wants to do.
However, I don't know why if you are getting two HD/DVR's since it will be SWM and there are already cables there, they most likely won't have to run new ones.

I would suggest setting up a new account with Cosco and have them type in the notes not to send anyone from DirectSat out there.
Can't promise it will work, but it might.

Probably won't work,

My experience with DirectSat was that they said they were replacing MASTEC in the area. Actually they were picking up MASTEC droppings Alternate Service Provider ASP). Some of these jobs net the tech less than the pay offered. So they sit...and sit. And this does not even discuss the presence of a land line phone. No land line......= back charge...why do it?
CostCo doesn't do installations.

Maybe cancel the order and try to find a retailer that still does installations. This all makes sense to DirecTV I think...it is their plan.

Joe

Last edited:
It is a little different for us.
First off, it is pretty hard to lose money on an install.
Sure, there are some that don't pay nearly as much but it is what it is worth but on installs you will come out ahead.

At most with running all new materials on a 2 room swm, you may have $20 in materials. I would make $80 on it ad a broad band deca and that would mean $95 and it counts as phone lines.
Most places don't charge back just because you don't hook up phone lines either, you usually have to be below 40%. I usually run 50-70% thanks to the internet connection in a low land based phone line area.

That being said, he has Dish. There is a better then average chance the KA/KU dish can go in the same place meaning you could very well end up spending almost nothing in materials.

I agree the guy is most likely getting blown off for some reason, but as a tech, I am saying it isn't right.
Yeah, the installer may not make a killing, but he will most likely come out ahead.

Of course, this is why most techs complain about how much they earn and make less then $25k a year.
They don't think that they already have time and money in the job when they get out there and would rather cherry pick their jobs.
If it is in my power, every install goes in the first time I am there.

Now, if it was an upgrade, it could be a whole new story. There are several upgrades that will lose you money.

1. You have to reorder via Costco to get any specials they were running which i think is 180 dollar gift card on top of there normal dtv offer.

2. You really dont get a say in which company comes out though but after replacing the order with costco i would get ahold of office of the president to see if the y cant send a Case Management Tech out. These are seasoned techs who are alot like Joe but will give you a honest answer and do everything to get the job done for you.

3. well when I come up with a third thing to do I let you know.

I agree about the note thing usually not working.
Often what happens with those (where I am at) is that John Doe gets an install requesting John Doe not be the tech then John points it out to our supervisor and somebody else gets it.
Or, if we get a note saying customer is requesting an in house tech (even had one where the customer said if it was not an in house the tech would not be allowed on the property), we again give it to our supervisor who gets with a Mastec supervisor it is either given to somebody else or traded.

So, where with us it does no good with routing, it will often do good before somebody shows up.
Of course, it changes per office and company. That office may be full of pricks and send one of there techs out just to spite you. (I don't know)
Our Mastec office (although it has its issues in some areas) really is pretty well oiled and so is the company I work for.

You could always check with a local retailer and try to get the referral discount. Local retailer will likely get out there the next day.

Ah the days when you could just go to Best Buy and get what equipment you wanted. Then you and a buddy could get a few beers and set up the dish and cabling the way you wanted it.

Ah the days when you could just go to Best Buy and get what equipment you wanted. Then you and a buddy could get a few beers and set up the dish and cabling the way you wanted it.

Great idea, have a couple of beers and go climbing on a roof!

Might not have to climb on a roof to set up an additional receiver considering the dish is already mounted and if you had to mess with the dish, you could do it then drink the beers.

Besides, a beer or two is like drinking a glass or two of water. ;)

well I've been out to jobs where the customer has changed the work a few days before the appointment and it didn't not take so when i get out there the order i have is wrong when u go to change it they sometimes will cancel the order at that point there isn't much the tech can do

Direct Sat is a has a national HSP contract and if they have the contract for your area then a retailer would be you only alternative, as was already mentioned above. Good luck finding a retailer that still handles installations, most of those companies have been long gone.

Contacting the office of the president is the best advice you have been given thus far and if I were you, that's where I would start. Good luck

Eric

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)