No PPV letterbox films?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markfp-1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I never order PPV movies, so I haven't been keeping up with things. My favorite movie rental store recently closed so I thought I would check out PPV listings to see what they had running and I was amazed that there wasn't one letterboxed film listed. I remember when I first got DirecTV, I always checked the listings and they had both letterboxed and pan & scan versions. Have they really given up on LBX or am I missing something?

Likely being shown on the HD PPV now; or just that Tribune (the company that creates the EPG) may have stopped using the code. I too do not do PPV.

Likely being shown on the HD PPV now; or just that Tribune (the company that creates the EPG) may have stopped using the code. I too do not do PPV.

^QFT, I don't order PPV at all either, I usually buy my movies the ones that I want to buy, and other than that, I have all the channels with my premier package which includes Starz,Cinemax,HBO,and Showtime. (Starz is my favorite of them all because all the anime)
Good thing my channels are in HD :)

Why would anybody want movies in letterbox anyway, those stupid annoying black bars. :mad:

Because it is the way the film was originally shot and presented, aka original aspect ratio or OAR. It is by far the preferred method. Otherwise you get zoomed, cropped or pan & scan (any of those aka full screen) and you can lose up to 35% of the film; and who wants that? See samples of the Pan & Scan and the attached images to see letterbox vs cropped.

ps.gif

Attachments

• 69240_bg.jpg
    69240_bg.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 69817_bg.jpg
    69817_bg.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)