No Signal, No Help from DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkelet

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
NJ
Any advice you guys can give me. Had about 15 inches of snow on Wednesday, and have had no signal since about 5pm on Wednesday, at the end of the storm. Cant get to the dish to clean away ice, and basically DTV customer service non existent. Any ideas or thoughts on what to do.?

Thanks,

Mike

have you seen your dish? can you determine that is is covered with snow? really cant blame DTV's CSR's bc they arent there with you to see the problem.

it can be a number of factors.. cabling, dish on snow, corrosions in the cable fittings... or if you do have a multi switch, maybe the water got into it. i could go on and on..

you left alot of details out.

ok, sorry.

I can see the dish, i just got it in January, so i don't think anything is corroded yet. There may be ice on the dish, that's a good possibility, it's pretty high up, so i can't say one way or the other. I guess i'm just looking for more then "wait until the weather clears". Ok so i have signal until March. To me that's not good enough. Maybe i'm asking too much.

That's why i'm here, you guys are experts.

Snow is unusual in this part of North Texas, sleet and frozen rain are more commonly our problems. Yesterday we had 12" of heavy wet sticky snow I had to clean my dish twice before I covered the dish 1000 with a plastic bag. This morning I had to clean off the plastic bag snow was sticking to it.

If your dish is too high to reach with a broom try a stream of water from a hose or a "supersoaker". You have to give the satellite provider some help, Mother Nature can be a problem beyond their control.

Heres the deal with the wait till the weather clears bit.

If we sent out sddtvtech out to fix your issue and it gone by the time he got there then only thing we managed to do is waste his time, waste dtv money sending sddtvtech out there, and wasted time you had to take off to wait for me.

if there nsow on the dish then get it off with a hose .

To me that's not good enough. Maybe i'm asking too much.
DIRECTV doesn't make service calls to thaw out dishes. If it is covered in something, it is your responsibility to clean it off.

There are other solutions such as dish heaters that will prevent this if you can't reach the dish, but they are your responsibility to install and maintain.

DIRECTV doesn't make service calls to thaw out dishes. If it is covered in something, it is your responsibility to clean it off.

There are other solutions such as dish heaters that will prevent this if you can't reach the dish, but they are your responsibility to install and maintain.

Customers are never clear on what to expect from any of the entertainment services.
The cable companies provide a service; plug in and expect programming.The expectation is that the programming will never go out. When it does....

They look for the same service from Directv & DISH but now they are paying for the right to receive a signal. The equipment is part of the link. Weather, atmospheric conditions & hardware maintenance all have to be correct to receive the signal.

It is never made clear who will keep all this running.

Regardless customers just want to watch.

Joe

Snow is unusual in this part of North Texas, sleet and frozen rain are more commonly our problems. Yesterday we had 12" of heavy wet sticky snow I had to clean my dish twice before I covered the dish 1000 with a plastic bag. This morning I had to clean off the plastic bag snow was sticking to it.

one way to deal with it is to wait it out. ice doesnt usually stick all day unless you get -22 weather all day long. but ice usually melts by mid afternoonish.

but to the OP, you say uve been without tv for XX days? if you can see your dish and its still solid ice? its possible its been that cold and the ice had no warmth to melt... yet. when you can verify the dish is cleared of all obstuction, then something may be up... but for now from what you describe, its weather condition we cant solve for you.

Heres the deal with the wait till the weather clears bit.

If we sent out sddtvtech out to fix your issue and it gone by the time he got there then only thing we managed to do is waste his time, waste dtv money sending sddtvtech out there, and wasted time you had to take off to wait for me.

if there nsow on the dish then get it off with a hose .

Not only waste my time, but if I had been a subcontractor and I did this job, i could easily get a charge back if it was such issue being a customer education on weather conditions. i mean its BOUND to happen, mother nature will win in some battles. Dishes are not meant to beat mother nature in every way. satellite including cable companies have flaws in weather conditions. its gonna happen and all you can do is wait it out. like mentioned in quote above, it wastes your time and if you dont have protection plan, your money and directv's money to pay me to come to your house only to educate you that weather won today..

weather will be there regardless and therres nothing you can do. Ive seen cable companies lose signal in weather conditions.. youre not the first customer to lose signal for XX straight days. If it was a great day and clear and warm... and still no signal, then id say something is up.. but gotta wait til the ice or snow is cleared from the dish before you call in and complain about it. we dont live in a perfect world.

it is a nice thing to have if your dish is way out of your reach, even with a 28 ft ladder such as apartment complexes.

however if you dont get much of snow or ice for that matter, its not worth the money to get it.

I appreciate all of the comments good and bad. Still no signal, going on day 4. We've had 2 days of bright sunshine and 37 degree weather, so i'm concerned it now may be more. I am attempting to think about a ladder to attempt to see what i can find, but i'm not to keen on going to the roof.

Could it be the snow on the roof blocking it? Still ice on the dish? Still getting complete zeros on the signal strength. I did try playing around with the dish setup, now wondering if i screwed something up there, but i don't think so.

Now i'm just looking for anything.

Thanks

I appreciate all of the comments good and bad. Still no signal, going on day 4. We've had 2 days of bright sunshine and 37 degree weather, so i'm concerned it now may be more. I am attempting to think about a ladder to attempt to see what i can find, but i'm not to keen on going to the roof.

Could it be the snow on the roof blocking it? Still ice on the dish? Still getting complete zeros on the signal strength. I did try playing around with the dish setup, now wondering if i screwed something up there, but i don't think so.

Now i'm just looking for anything.

Thanks

First, find out if there is ice on the dish. If there is. or snow blocking it somehow, you have to remove it. For the ice, many use a Supersoaker with warm water. For snow, you have to be able to reach it. If the dish is clear, then start checking your connections, starting at the receiver. Make sure they are all tight. Do you have a multiswitch? If so, can you bypass it? That would tell you if it is a switch issue. Check all of the cabling to make sure it isn't damaged. If none if these things work, my best guess would be a bad lnb, the thing at the end of the arm on the dish. Good luck and let us know what's going on. Maybe we can help some more.

2 receivers, one HD one standard

searching for signal 771, then sometimes a complete blank gray screen on the HD receiver.

ive tried the super soaker, i cant reach it with the water, it falls a little short.

2 receivers, one HD one standard

searching for signal 771, then sometimes a complete blank gray screen on the HD receiver.

ive tried the super soaker, i cant reach it with the water, it falls a little short.

You need a Super Supersoaker! ;)

from what you said,, 37 degrees? theres no ice.. theres a POSSIBLE that the snow packing could of pulled a cable OR your dish is out of tune.

ive seen cables get pulled out of the multiiswitch before when the snow packs after it warms up.

id call and get a tech out... thats my advice for you now. in 22 degree weather, with 37.. it shouldnt even be an ice issue. the ice should be melting by now. if you couldnt get it with a supersoaker.. youre talking about a dish thats installed over 28 ft high...

Thanks for all of the help.

Unplugged everything from everywhere, and then reset the box, and got the signal back.

Thanks everybody for everything.

Now if i can only figure out why i am blackout of the NHLN game, and i'm not in the Philly or Montreal area???

from what you said,, 37 degrees? theres no ice.. theres a POSSIBLE that the snow packing could of pulled a cable OR your dish is out of tune.

ive seen cables get pulled out of the multiiswitch before when the snow packs after it warms up.

id call and get a tech out... thats my advice for you now. in 22 degree weather, with 37.. it shouldnt even be an ice issue. the ice should be melting by now. if you couldnt get it with a supersoaker.. youre talking about a dish thats installed over 28 ft high...

I take that back...

anytime a reciever has been searching for satellite for that long period of time, needs to be reset or unplugged.

glad we got it fixed for you without any more headache.

thats the advice dtv will give you. they don't care and dtv will lie to you about anything. over priced and will charge you for anything they can get away with. please believe me, I know from firsthand experience. find a better company and dump the junk, DTV.

Nice first post. Care to back it up with something more than "please believe me" (although you should probably start your own thread rather than hijack somebody else's)?

Nice first post. Care to back it up with something more than "please believe me" (although you should probably start your own thread rather than hijack somebody else's)?

The second post was even better:D

Its in the Dish forum, and it speaks VERY highly of Directv. I am glad that the poster is so satisfied with his D* service to be honest:):tux:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)