No signal on 99 and 103

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ToddP

Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Omaha
I'm having trouble aiming my SL5 dish. I can only get 68% on sat 101 transponder 1, 65% on sat 119 transponder 1 and sometimes 50% on sat 110 transponder 1. Not acquired on Sats 99 and 103.

?Also, what transponder is best to use when trying to aim?

I'm having trouble aiming my SL5 dish. I can only get 68% on sat 101 transponder 1, 65% on sat 119 transponder 1 and sometimes 50% on sat 110 transponder 1. Not acquired on Sats 99 and 103.

?Also, what transponder is best to use when trying to aim?

First,
Verify.......mast is plumb!
in set up........you have selected an sl5 dish (not round)
you have set the tilt and elevation for your zip code correctly as you assembled the dish. Set the tilt & leave it. Adjust the elevation if necessary after peaking the azimuth.
you have a clear LOS (line of sight)

THEN "peak the 101 sat so you have a high 90s signal
tune the 99 or 103.........read the portion of instructions on dithering
REMEMBER.........as you move the dish you are changing the look angle for all 5 sats. The 101 has a very strong signal and you will be accepting a compromise; lowering that signal to acquire the 99 & 103.
There are many blanks in the list of transponders being used on the 99 & 103...select an active one.

If you are getting some signal you are close and some minor adjustment will do it.

Joe

:welcome to Satelliteguys ToddP!

Also, if you don't have a swm lnb, the type with only one connection, make sure you are using a bbc on each line you have connected. That is, unless you are using a model 23 receiver or dvr.

:welcome to Satelliteguys ToddP!

Also, if you don't have a swm lnb, the type with only one connection, make sure you are using a bbc on each line you have connected. That is, unless you are using a model 23 receiver or dvr.
Chip,
I thought those BBC would be incorporated into the eq long before now......just the H 23s?

Also....are the 110 & 119 even in use these days? This guy could have selected a Phase III..........in which case he will never see the 99 & 103.

Joe

The H/HR23s don't need bbcs. All other H series do unless it's a swm setup. Only Puerto Rico uses 110, but 119 is still used in many markets for sd locals.

If he had a phase III dish, that would mean 99 and 103 would not even appear in the satellite strength list, ......and there are many channels still on 119. as well as several cities locals, the ethnic package is on 119, several religious and music channels.
The OPs dish is probably just out of alignment, a well aligned dish will have many transponders (no all) in the high 90s or even 100. With 70s on 101, he'll never get 99 and 103.

If he had a phase III dish, that would mean 99 and 103 would not even appear in the satellite strength list, ......and there are many channels still on 119. as well as several cities locals, the ethnic package is on 119, several religious and music channels.
The OPs dish is probably just out of alignment, a well aligned dish will have many transponders (no all) in the high 90s or even 100. With 70s on 101, he'll never get 99 and 103.

I was thinking he had selected PhaseIII in set up. They show pictures of the various dishes and I have fixed a few rigs by just selecting the correct dish....The other possibility = QUESTION: if you select the incorrect dish and then enter a zip code...will you get a result centered on the 110 as all the older dishes were sighted? IF this guy was given the line to the 110 and tried tuning the 101 on that azimuth that would explain the low signal and missing sats!

Yup, no amount of tuning will ever get 99 & 103 on the PhaseIII........but I did return two of them to a warehouse wonk who did not know the difference.

We will see!

Joe

yes, if you select the Phase III dish you will get the alignment info for 110 instead of 101. That's unlikely on the receiver itself, because you would not get 99/103 in the list of satellites, but if you use dishpointer and specify the wrong dish you WILL get the 110 satellite info instead of 101. So that's a question for the OP, where are you getting your alignment info from?

Ditto on the above posts, make sure dish type is correct in menu, mast is plumb, etc.
I take my H23 in my camper, I don't have a signal meter; I start by getting a 90-99% signal with the 101 sat, then very slowly adjust the tilt until I get 99/103 sats.
You are looking for 99 (c), 103 (ca), & 103 (cb) transponders.
Also look up your zip code to see what your recommended settings are.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.