HR44 and RC71 are Awful

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BKFraiders7

Original poster
May 5, 2013
Georgia
I honestly hate to rant, but something needs to be said. As a new customer for DirecTV, the hardware/software that comes with the service is just awful. The remotes randomly stop working constantly, and have to be reprogrammed with fingers crossed hoping it may solve the problem. We began switching the remotes to IR mode hoping that may fix the problem, and that made the responsiveness last for a few extra days it seems, but eventually it too would go out. The remotes can still control regular Tv functions like volume changing and input, but the HR44 is totally unresponsive.

Besides the unresponsiveness, the box is slow and choppy in guide and menus. Perhaps I was just blessed with years of good hardware from Dish. That doesn't even include the annoying banners present in the guide.

I guess I'm just at the point where I'm fed up with it. If the next generation Hopper has more than 3 tuners, we'll probably be switching back after the contract and just accept the price increase. DirecTV owns the PQ and programming with Sunday Ticket, I'll give them that, but Dish is ahead in hardware/software for their service.

I honestly hate to rant, but something needs to be said. As a new customer for DirecTV, the hardware/software that comes with the service is just awful. The remotes randomly stop working constantly, and have to be reprogrammed with fingers crossed hoping it may solve the problem. We began switching the remotes to IR mode hoping that may fix the problem, and that made the responsiveness last for a few extra days it seems, but eventually it too would go out. The remotes can still control regular Tv functions like volume changing and input, but the HR44 is totally unresponsive.

Besides the unresponsiveness, the box is slow and choppy in guide and menus. Perhaps I was just blessed with years of good hardware from Dish. That doesn't even include the annoying banners present in the guide.

I guess I'm just at the point where I'm fed up with it. If the next generation Hopper has more than 3 tuners, we'll probably be switching back after the contract and just accept the price increase. DirecTV owns the PQ and programming with Sunday Ticket, I'll give them that, but Dish is ahead in hardware/software for their service.

You're the first person I have heard complain about slowness and choppiness with the HR44. Have you tried doing a red button reboot to see if that clears the problem?

You're the first person I have heard complain about slowness and choppiness with the HR44. Have you tried doing a red button reboot to see if that clears the problem?

As an installer I'm shocked. The 44/41 genie system is incomparable to anything speed wise directv has offered IMO

My HR34 has NEVER had one issue, never a remote control problem, and I know everyone wants the 44, but I have had my 34 for over a year and it is super fast and it is incredible. You are the FIRST person I have ever heard of that talked so negatively about the Genie. The Directv guide is awesome, I can see if you don't like the few banner ads but I don't think there is anything to be done about that.

I wonder if you have a bad receiver, no reason a HR44 should be choppy or slow. Given it was just installed I'd ask them to send a tech out to replace it.

I agree with the ad banners, save from that I have experienced non of these issues and love my 44/71.

Compared to Dish, ALL Directv boxes are very slow and clunky. The HR44 is the best one, though. I think the better PQ, less disputes (except Pac12), and Sunday Ticket are worth sticking with Directv. But when/if ST is ever non-exclusive, they will switch my awful HR34 or I am gone.

My HR34 has NEVER had one issue, never a remote control problem, and I know everyone wants the 44, but I have had my 34 for over a year and it is super fast and it is incredible. You are the FIRST person I have ever heard of that talked so negatively about the Genie. The Directv guide is awesome, I can see if you don't like the few banner ads but I don't think there is anything to be done about that.

It's all what you are used to. The HR34 is NOT a fast box. It (and the 44) may be faster than previous DTV boxes.. but my HR34 is a slug compared to the responsiveness of the 622 I had for 4+ years with Dish..1.5 years in to my DTV contract I still find the HR34 to be an un-enjoyable experience, and will very seriously switch back once my 2 years are up. I would happily have a less eye-candy guide if it were more responsive.

The banner spam is just the rotten icing on the cake.

I've had the same remote issues on both my C41 clients but I disagree about the slowness of the guide. I'm also coming from Dish and the Genie is certainly not a Hopper replacement but I find the guide speeds a little similar. In a recent Dish thread it has been revealed that Dish has actually slowed down the speed of the Hopper guide and I noticed the slower speed before I switched last month. Wasn't a big deal for me as I thought the guide was super fast and the Genie's is quite adequate for me.

Direct really need to look into the C41 remotes though as I occasionally have to be reprogramming them. Tech support knows too as they had the solution right away and they have it as a known issue.

It's all what you are used to. The HR34 is NOT a fast box. It (and the 44) may be faster than previous DTV boxes.. but my HR34 is a slug compared to the responsiveness of the 622 I had for 4+ years with Dish..1.5 years in to my DTV contract I still find the HR34 to be an un-enjoyable experience, and will very seriously switch back once my 2 years are up. I would happily have a less eye-candy guide if it were more responsive.

The banner spam is just the rotten icing on the cake.

Maybe try the HR44, mine is close to the speed of the Hopper. I've seriously not had a problem with the Genie apart from the occassional remote reprogramming and the unpredictable series recording results (reruns being recorded as new).

Maybe try the HR44, mine is close to the speed of the Hopper. I've seriously not had a problem with the Genie apart from the occassional remote reprogramming and the unpredictable series recording results (reruns being recorded as new).

I'll say it this way.. between my original install, and initial billing issues, DTV managed to make TWC look good :) So I'm pretty much biding my timing until my 2 years are up.

I would agree that the 44 is close to the speed of the hopper (I have had both within the past year). The older D* boxes are much much slower.

Just got the HR-44 and impressed with its speed. I dropped the "ticket," upgraded to the Genie for 2 years and got the "ticket" back for free! Awesome, that's $300 bucks saved and then I inquired about other promotions and got half off HBO for a year and max for 3 months. So "Boardwalk Empire" and "Strike Back" are cheaper for a while. If you get the right person on the phone they'll tell you available deals the "upper crust" would prefer you didn't know about. Channel wise, dtv beats dish every time.

I think it depends on the placement of the receiver and assuring is not IR interference that's causing the slow response, and have fresh batteries on the remote, but that's not always the case. Maybe it also depends on the TV's.

I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers by me being displeased with my HR44. I can't comment on the speed increase from previous boxes, as this is my first with DirecTV. The only previous experience with DirecTV hardware was at relative's houses, and the speed upgrade is noticeable. But, as I stated, coming from Dish (VIP 222k and a standard definition box 322), there is a downgrade in fluidity.

As others have said, I am saving money by the move, and I am happy about that. I guess you can't have it all, and again, I honestly hate complaining (especially to people who have no control over it!) but I needed a vent with people who understand. So thank you, Satellite Guys, for that :)

Edit- To reply to people above, yes I have red button reset the box. I have to sometime for it to start responding again. I'm passed my 30 days now, so I doubt I can return the service (besides, it is cheaper).

and also,
Direct really need to look into the C41 remotes though as I occasionally have to be reprogramming them. Tech support knows too as they had the solution right away and they have it as a known issue.
What was the solution you got from tech support? I need to call anyway to cancel the movie packages it came with

Last edited:
That's okay no problem here, just trying to get to the root of the problem that's all, but every provider is different.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)