No Signal Using SWM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Loneeagleswa

Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
Texas
I am a newbie here and tried searching some but could not find any help with my situation ....

Just got a NEW Slimline 5 Dish with the SWM technology and setting up from scratch.

My Equipment:
Slim Line Dish
LNB - SL5S4NR2
Power Inserter
MSPLIT8R1-02
Receiver - HR21

The problem is this:
when i power up the receiver and go through the set up .... the receiver recognizes that the SWM setup ... it shows the slimline dish with the SWM switch ... that is the good news ...

the BAD news is that when you go to the signal page you see zeros .... and when you go to the signal meter it does not see either tuner 1 or 2.

I do not have a meter to help with zeroing in on 101, however we hooked up a D12 receiver and got Sat 101 with no problem with a single LNB I borrowed from a neighbor ... however when I setup the SWM again with the SWM LNB ... again the receiver does not see the signal????

I am powering the inserter through a power surge protector, but this should not be a problem???

Also, I read a post to "verify voltage" at the dish ... how do I do this and what voltage am I looking for???
Also, is it possible to use the SWM LNB without power inserter to find Sat 101???

any help will be appreciated ...

Blue Skies ... LE

:welcome to Satelliteguys Loneeagleswa!

The power inserter should work on a power strip, but it can cause issues, so better not to use it.
The voltage should be close to 21 volts for the 21 volt power inserter (duh!). Just use the center conductor and shield to check. It's dc voltage.
It should be good since the HR21 is recognizing the swm setup. When you say you connected a single lnb, which type is it? Are you sure you were getting signal from 101? What are the signal strength numbers you are getting using the single lnb? You must use the power inserter with a swm lnb. It needs the higher voltage the PI supplies.

I would go into the Repeat Sat menu and rerun it and manually check and choose the SWM setting in the menu and see if that helps.

Humm. This is confusing. You sound like you know what you are doing, so things like not having the "to IRD" side of the PI going to your receiver is probably not your issue. The only thing I can imagine is that you have the power going to the wrong side of the splitter. You need to have the powered coax going to the terminal with the red insert in it. There should also be a red line on the outside that shows the power path from the "powered" line to the LNB. But I am reaching for an answer here.

I think you may have an alignment problem as well. I am not familiar with the mount for the single LNB, but I doubt it has the same geometry as the mount for the SWM head. So, just seeing a signal from the single LNB would not give me confidence that I have proper dish alignment. I would recheck all the settings and be particularly careful with the elevation setting. You need to use the red (or white) marking on the inside of the elevation assembly as your reference point to the elevation markings on the exterior of the assembly. (I messed this up the first time I set up my dish,)

Your D12 is really helpful for alignment since that receiver will emit an audible tone to help with alignment. That really helps if you are doing this all by yourself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)