No surprise here....Sammy Sosa one of the 103 that tested positive for PEDs!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
In a shocking developement:)rolleyes:), Sammy Sosa was supposedly one of the 103 that tested positive for PEDs in 2003. I wish they would just release the whole damn thing once and for all. Once the 1st name was out, there was "blood in the water" so to speak and it would be a matter of time before people would clamour for ALL the names.

Another big-name slugger busted for steroids? Better get used to it....

Sammy Sosa is the latest to be busted for steroids but far from the last
Anyone who knew Sosa's history and dramatic career arc was not surprised
We have seen this too many times before -- and probably will see it again

So the archeology of a corrupt era in baseball history continues. Sammy Sosa, identified by the New York Times as having tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug in 2003, is only the latest but far from the last discovery as the fragments of the past surface like bones from under a sandy soil.

The discoveries have become numbing, even annoying to many, especially because of the drip-like rate of leaks associated with the 2003 survey test and "The List" of 104 names. We can wish it stop, wish lawyers didn't leak, wish it were not so messy. But this discovery is not nearly as messy as what baseball players did to the game and their profession for more than a decade.

Get used to it. You will hear more names of players who otherwise would be headed for the Hall of Fame identified as steroid users. Right now there are many of them just nervously hoping they at least outrun the truth for the five years after they retired, when they can first appear on a Hall of Fame ballot. Sosa didn't make it through Year 2. Mark McGwire was soiled in Year 4. Roger Clemens made it through two months. Unfair? The clean ones, of course, have absolutely nothing to worry about.

The survey testing was supposed to be anonymous, but as one former player pointed out, "How could it be anonymous when you have to sign your name to a piece of paper when they took the sample?" The players association could have acted quickly to destroy the samples. It didn't. The players could have stayed clean just long enough to pass a test they knew was coming, and no testing system would have kicked in at all. They didn't.

Sosa's entry into the Hall of Fame was very much in doubt even before Tuesday. The weight of circumstantial evidence and buzzing among baseball people in and out of uniform always did engender heavy suspicion, even before his 2005 demureness in front of Congress. Naivete would be in order to think someone who corked bats and competed passionately for individual records and glory against Barry Bonds and McGwire in an age with no enforceable drug rules in place would draw a self-imposed line at using steroids -- just as his body transformed into a hunk of musculature.

Sadly, steroid news about Sammy Sosa is not a shocker - Tom Verducci - SI.com

Until they release all the names, everyone's guilty in my book. And that's a shame to any one that was honest and clean. If I was one of the few who played the game the right way, I'd be pissed.

Until they release all the names, everyone's guilty in my book. And that's a shame to any one that was honest and clean. If I was one of the few who played the game the right way, I'd be pissed.

I don't know if I would say everyone is guilty....but any sudden jump in numbers would have me look at this player and his stats with one eyebrow raised....

I agree. At least until they release all 103 names, I'm going to believe every player who was active at that time is on the list.

Sandra

I don't know if I would say everyone is guilty....but any sudden jump in numbers would have me look at this player and his stats with one eyebrow raised....

You know the term "innocent until proven guilty"???

Well, I'm using the opposite stance here. EVERYONE is guilty until they can prove innocence! It's unfortunate, but everyone is guilty by association.

Well, I'm using the opposite stance here. EVERYONE is guilty until they can prove innocence! It's unfortunate, but everyone is guilty by association.

I think that is almost impossible to prove because you would have these guys peeing in cups every single day.

I have not been in the Baseball HOF in almost 20 years....is there a "dead ball era" wing the HOF??!! IF there is, then eventually, they will have to make a steroid wing.

I agree. If you asked me to come up with one player who is not on the list, I would say Mariano Rivera. But as much as I love him, I'm not even going to believe Mariano is not on the list.

Sandra

Unfortunately, the only way that can be accomplished is to release all the names. How else can it be proven that a player is clean or not?? We obviously don't believe them when they claim they are clean...

Unfortunately, the only way that can be accomplished is to release all the names. How else can it be proven that a player is clean or not?? We obviously don't believe them when they claim they are clean...

Preciously. Release ALL the names. Clear the good guys and make a list of the wrong doers. There needs to be a line in the sand where fans can distinguish the cheaters from the fair players. Until then, a majority of fans won't be able to trust anyone anymore.

Legitimacy is a big thing in sports. I remember as a youth I used to be way into the WWF. Until one day I found out the Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan and others took Steroids. From that point on, some sort of innocence was lost. I compare this time in baseball to that moment in wrestling for me. That and the day I found out Santa Claus wasn't real. :(

Preciously. Release ALL the names. Clear the good guys and make a list of the wrong doers. There needs to be a line in the sand where fans can distinguish the cheaters from the fair players. Until then, a majority of fans won't be able to trust anyone anymore.

Legitimacy is a big thing in sports. I remember as a youth I used to be way into the WWF. Until one day I found out the Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan and others took Steroids. From that point on, some sort of innocence was lost. I compare this time in baseball to that moment in wrestling for me. That and the day I found out Santa Claus wasn't real. :(

Well.....But do we REALLY go to the park to watch a certain player or players...or do we go to the park to watch YOUR TEAM? THIS question is the reason why I have never made a big issue of this because I have NEVER gone to see JUST the Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosas and the Mark McGuires of the the baseball world. They were on GOOD TEAMS and I wanted MY TEAM to beat their team. IF they cheated, I wanted my team to beat them even more....

To me this whole steroids issue is gotten so "ho hum" because throughout the history of sports...there has ALWAYS BEEN CHEATING.....in every sport and every level. WHY people get so upset over it is beyond me. The NFL had steroids problems for years....but there was NEVER this type of reaction to it.

Well.....But do we REALLY go to the park to watch a certain player or players...or do we go to the park to watch YOUR TEAM? THIS question is the reason why I have never made a big issue of this because I have NEVER gone to see JUST the Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosas and the Mark McGuires of the the baseball world. They were on GOOD TEAMS and I wanted MY TEAM to beat their team. IF they cheated, I wanted my team to beat them even more....

To me this whole steroids issue is gotten so "ho hum" because throughout the history of sports...there has ALWAYS BEEN CHEATING.....in every sport and every level. WHY people get so upset over it is beyond me. The NFL had steroids problems for years....but there was NEVER this type of reaction to it.

Because in baseball, more so than any other of the major sports, it's based on individual matchups and personal statistics. Taking a drug to impact these personal matchups and statistics is tampering with the record books. Baseball and statistics go hand in hand. No other major sport focuses so much on personal statistics. The NFL, NHL and NBA are more team oriented than the MLB.

Because in baseball, more so than any other of the major sports, it's based on individual matchups and personal statistics. Taking a drug to impact these personal matchups and statistics is tampering with the record books. Baseball and statistics go hand in hand. No other major sport focuses so much on personal statistics. The NFL, NHL and NBA are more team oriented than the MLB.

Which proves that baseball...for the purest, is still THE sport.

ALSO, PROFESSIONAL baseball has been around for alot longer than others.

AND baseball has a longer history of cheating and scandal than ANY other professional sport.

So "integrity" and baseball have NEVER really gone hand in hand....

I am not surprised at all. I saw them talking about it last night, but was too tired to get out of bed to post it.

Totally agree. If the 'clean' players want us to know they're clean, they should make a stink about this. Until then, as far as I'm concerned, they're all on the list..not just the ones who forget the language they've been speaking for years, when they're called before Congress.

Sandra

Totally agree. If the 'clean' players want us to know they're clean, they should make a stink about this. Until then, as far as I'm concerned, they're all on the list..not just the ones who forget the language they've been speaking for years, when they're called before Congress.
But, that's the problem, we won't believe them. Many have denied it before and have since been proven to be liars. Why should we believe anyone who denies it now??

Release ALL the names and whoever is not on the list I guess could be "proven" clean....

But, that's the problem, we won't believe them. Many have denied it before and have since been proven to be liars. Why should we believe anyone who denies it now??

Release ALL the names and whoever is not on the list I guess could be "proven" clean....

I think we're actually saying the same thing. I'm saying the clean players should make a stink to demand the list be released...so they're no longer guilty by association with the cheaters.

Sandra

I think we're actually saying the same thing. I'm saying the clean players should make a stink to demand the list be released...so they're no longer guilty by association with the cheaters.

Sandra

It won't happen because they ALL agreed to take the test and they all agreed to keep it confidential. You will not see them break ranks from their OTHER Union Members.

It won't happen because they ALL agreed to take the test and they all agreed to keep it confidential. You will not see them break ranks from their OTHER Union Members.

Totally agree, that's the reality. But the reality for me (and a lot of others) is that means they're all guilty by association.

The clean ones should have made their feelings known long ago, behind closed doors, that they wanted the game cleaned up. They didn't, and as far as a lot of the baseball public is concerned, and old-time players as well, their records will be forever tarnished regardless of whether they did PED's or not.

Sandra