<noflame>Tell me V00m doesn't suck.</noflame>

I can't really comment on V*, I saw it very early on and was not impressed. By reading in this forum, I can tell its improved, at least a little bit. I'm glad V* has these problems, it makes for great reading!

DarrellP said:
Is your antenna pointing with the "arms" open to the towers? If not, it's backwards.

What exactly does this mean? trying to see if it will help me. My OTA is has the little "spoilers or raised ends pointing to the ground". I don't understand what you mean by open arms.

negreenfield said:
I think Sean just covered everything that can be said just about why Voom doesn't suck. I love it and am getting rid of Comcast as soon as I can compare the Braves game in a couple days (I'm in Atlanta) with Voom just for curiosity sake, I want to see if Voom OTA gets the HD feed for TBS (local Atlantans get a great feed of TBS already, great picture and Dolby Digital, :p to other cities). Comcast is supposedly showing the game in HD on TBS, future TBS stuff should come in HD for us too hopefully...

Anyway, I personally love the Voom exclusives, ESPECIALLY MonstersHD. I was a little weary at first but this weekend I can watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), Evil Dead, Night of the Living Dead (original), and Dawn of the Dead (original), just to name a few!

Sadly my local TBS, in friggin Atlanta, does not have the TBS HD feed.

juanl0b0 said:
I said, "tell me that they don't", right now it looks to me like a prettydisappointing implementation of a Satellite company, tell me why it's not?!

I can tell you why Tivo doesn't suck, I can tell you why Dish network does, I can tell you why my Pronto doesn't suck, I can tell why Comcast does.

I'm looking for people to tell me why they don't.

I've had Voom for several months. I am very happy and satisfied with their service. Had very few problems. When they did the install, Voom bent over backwards to make sure I was happy. They Federal Expressed the equipment to my house (which was a first), the installer showed up the next day. Installed a 30" dish. Installed two OTA anntenas, each pointing in a different direction, picking up all the major networks. The exclusive HD channels are getting very good now with their content. Enjoy the Friday night concerts in HD, Monsters HD, Rush HD, and Equator HD. I will not watch SD TV anymore, it sucks.

I think you only hear the people who bitch on these web sites. They specifically come to these type of web sites and want to complain. However, 90-95% of the people who are happy and satisified with Voom will not take the time to post here or other web sites (except for the regulars).

I have Dish Network also. Very rarely watch it. Thinking of dropping it. When Voom gets the PVR this August (crossing fingers), it will definitely be the ultimate service.

If you are having problems with your install, contact Install's Inc. Talk to a senior person. They will get you connected correctly.

P.S. Pronto does "almost" suck. They need to update their firmware for the TSU7000, but that's another story. And people complain about Voom....

DBENE said:
What exactly does this mean? trying to see if it will help me. My OTA is has the little "spoilers or raised ends pointing to the ground". I don't understand what you mean by open arms.

This refers to the StealthTenna that was the standard OTA antenna. Named Stealth because it resembles an airplane. If you can think of it as an airplane, it should be flying AWAY from the direction of the OTA tower, with the backs of the wings (the open end) pointed TOWARD the OTA tower.

juanl0b0 said:
:mad: One week of Voom in my house and I'm struggling to like it.

Snippy.....

Let me summarize: "Voom is the anti-Christ incarnate!"

The correct response to your...er...flame would be: "DON'T FEED THE TROLLS"!

Voom DOES suck. Horrible PG. No OTA mapping after 8 months. Overcompression. Rain fade. Overcompression. Quantity over quality. Repetitive content. Unappealing exclusives. Overcompression. No Food network or HDTV so I have to put up with a lot of grief from the ladies. And did I mention overcompression?

I'm with Voom b/c the alternatives suck even worse. Adelphia: HBO, SHO and some locals. Wow! D* has had the same handful of channels it did at the beginning of the year. E* added TNTHD, increasing its HD content by a whopping 25%! I should cancel Voom out of general principle, but I'm too addicted to HD. I need help.

DBENE said:
Sadly my local TBS, in friggin Atlanta, does not have the TBS HD feed.
Correct, it doesn't have any now, but supposedly Comcast is broadcasting the Braves game, I think on Sunday, in HD on TBS. I am keeping my digital/HD side of Comcast until then (I'll always keep the analog) to see it and also see if Voom OTA will get it as well. We shall see....

barth2k said:
Voom DOES suck. Horrible PG. No OTA mapping after 8 months. Overcompression. Rain fade. Overcompression. Quantity over quality. Repetitive content. Unappealing exclusives. Overcompression. No Food network or HDTV so I have to put up with a lot of grief from the ladies. And did I mention overcompression?

I'm with Voom b/c the alternatives suck even worse. Adelphia: HBO, SHO and some locals. Wow! D* has had the same handful of channels it did at the beginning of the year. E* added TNTHD, increasing its HD content by a whopping 25%! I should cancel Voom out of general principle, but I'm too addicted to HD. I need help.
I'm one of the lucky ones because I do notice the PQ is not as good (except locals, local HD looks great), but I never have OTA mapping issues, never have rain fade, and I love the Voom exclusives, as I've said, MonstersHD rules!! I gotta get off work early to go watch hours and hours straight of great horror movies this weekend....

But I like your post, it's funny that after all that negative you still have Voom, this whole love/hate relationship with them :p

negreenfield said:
I'm one of the lucky ones because I do notice the PQ is not as good (except locals, local HD looks great), but I never have OTA mapping issues, never have rain fade, and I love the Voom exclusives, as I've said, MonstersHD rules!! I gotta get off work early to go watch hours and hours straight of great horror movies this weekend....
:p
I have to agree on MonstersHD, it seems the PQ has come way up on this channel in the last couple of weeks, almost to the WOW factor level. I watched Dolls the other night and the PQ was awesome. They are doing an excellent job of transferring these old flicks.

Sometimes our first reactions are necessarily what really feel, it's frustration. It's just been seen so much on these forums (just from what I have read) that a lot of folks just get tired of seeing it. V* has it's down points for me after having it a week and most of those are around the OTA's which really V* has no control over. When I was with DTV I couldn't get those very same channels.

I hate that fashion channel, especially since my g/f watches it like a moth watches a flame. I hear 80k for a dress and I'm hovering over the toilet dry heaving, but hey, if it keeps her from complaining that we don't get all the locals then I'm happy.

juanl0b0 said:
Thanks for a balancing response. And your right crappy content at 1080i or 10000p is still crappy content. Now I've got to get back to that hard hitting news report from Yosemite.
LOL, no problem. Also you forgot that crappy programming in 1080i on D* is the same as crappy programming on V*.

The only way I could be ahppy today is to have Cable, D*, E*, and V* ... 300/mo for TV is a little high, but they all have thier pros and cons!

Only $300 per month? Kewl!

And for that I think someone should beotch at the FCC. Ultimately, they (or the legislation they enforce) are ones to blame for the uniformity of suckiness across the vendors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts