Nomad First Look

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A couple of points... With all the apps that stream from the network and premium channels (NBC, HBO2Go, etc...) it seems silly to get the Nomad when these apps stream from anywhere. Also, at $150 for the device, I could just buy all the shows I watch from iTunes.
When you are traveling, those apps don't tend to work well...When traveling in the car, there will always be bad spots and I wouldn't try it on a plane. It will be nice to dump some cartoons and movies from HBO/Starz onto an iPhone and plug it into the video in my van.

I've tried streaming Netflix, HBO and SlingBox...none of them were very acceptable..more frustrating than anything.

Mine is on order. Look forward to playing with it. I have a netbook, laptop, two iphones and soon to have an ipad. Guess I'll max out the client license pretty quick.

There is no $5.00/month fee. This was stated when I ordered one, and confimed in the email. I used to download to a DVD (in real time), then copy in Itunes so I could watch a show on a plane. This will be easier. I'll let you know when I get it Monday or Tuesday.

This thing is SLOW! Anyone have any experience using it on a PC yet? I have a netbook that I was hoping to use for the app. The first program I am trying to download looks like it will take 60 minutes for a 60 minute show.

I am downloading a few shows now for a plane trip Friday. I did 1 1/2 hour show and the picture is great on my IPad. It will just do it's thing over night. I know it's an expensive toy, but it beats listening to airplane engine noise.

This thing is SLOW! Anyone have any experience using it on a PC yet? I have a netbook that I was hoping to use for the app. The first program I am trying to download looks like it will take 60 minutes for a 60 minute show.

Let the transcoding happen overnight, then the copy process is only a 5 minute wait per hour of program.

Netbook may be a problem, the Nomad software specs says it won't work on an Atom processor.

Page on the Directv site says it doesn't support iPad yet. But I'm seeing folks here state otherwise. So my question is does it or doesn't it support iPad? Am interested in getting this so we can download programs to iPad and take on trips.

The iPhone app works on the iPad in the 2x mode. They haven't released a native iPad app yet, despite saying coming soon for a year plus.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)