Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryotgz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
USA
Cost to fish line through wall

Getting Direct installed tomorrow and I have one room that I would like to have the line fished through the wall. Right now the line comes up through the basement into the floor. I have fished the network cable and speaker wire myself, but wanted to know if anyone has paid an installer to do it.

If you have, how much did they charge you per run through the wall? Also, do installers typically carry a double wall plate for two coax cables?

Getting Direct installed tomorrow and I have one room that I would like to have the line fished through the wall. Right now the line comes up through the basement into the floor. I have fished the network cable and speaker wire myself, but wanted to know if anyone has paid an installer to do it.

If you have, how much did they charge you per run through the wall? Also, do installers typically carry a double wall plate for two coax cables?

$50 per floor for wall fishing.

Dual wall plates are in stock on my van, can't speak for other guys.

See if he will cut you a break. However I charge for any wall fish. It's industry standard to charge for this.
I typically charge $50 or $60 depending on difficulty.

Wow they tried to charge me $75.00, and I told them to go pound sand, since the installer ran over my mail box. Needless to say I didn't pay it.

Wow they tried to charge me $75.00, and I told them to go pound sand, since the installer ran over my mail box. Needless to say I didn't pay it.

Mailboxes are $75.00.......puppies are only fifty. I throw cats out of the truck for free unless they ate my lunch.

Regarding the wall fish thing.......how much of the repairs would someone eat for the occasional water or smoke that comes out of the hole? You are buying success based on experience....experience drilling water heaters, electric lines, gutters, doors, potted plants, carpet, toilet drains, ....!

Joe

$75 is too much.
Did you take photos and tell the tech he had to replace your mailbox?
Hope so.

Mailboxes are $75.00.......puppies are only fifty. I throw cats out of the truck for free unless they ate my lunch.

Regarding the wall fish thing.......how much of the repairs would someone eat for the occasional water or smoke that comes out of the hole? You are buying success based on experience....experience drilling water heaters, electric lines, gutters, doors, potted plants, carpet, toilet drains, ....!

Joe
Ahh pets....
Funny stuff.
I once left a job and suddenly I hear a commotion in th back seat of my truck.
It was my customer's cat. Jumped in to take a snooze.
Had to drive back and drop off the feline.
Only a minute or two. No big deal. Custy and I got a chuckle out of that.
One more.
I left my tool bag outside to go into the garage to pull a cable. Back outside and someof my tools are missing.
Custy informs me that his yellow lab is a thief. We walked into the yard and there were my tools, neatly piled and the dog sitting there with this guilty look about him.

Ahh pets....
Funny stuff.
One more.
I left my tool bag outside to go into the garage to pull a cable. Back outside and someof my tools are missing.
Custy informs me that his yellow lab is a thief. We walked into the yard and there were my tools, neatly piled and the dog sitting there with this guilty look about him.

too funny!

Ahh pets....
Funny stuff.
One more.

That's hilarious.

I went ahead and got the fish tape prepped for the install tomorrow. I went ahead and cut the hole in the wall, put in a low voltage box and have the fish tape going from the main floor to the basement. All they need to do is tape the wire to the end and pull up. Should make his job easier since no drilling at all so I would think no charge for that.

While I was at it I found the dual wall plate I forgot I had and fished my other coax through already. Then rewired the coax outlet in the basement and replaced some power outlets from the old two-prong to a new three-prong and re-routed the ethernet cable. Geez I did a lot of stuff today.

That's hilarious.

I went ahead and got the fish tape prepped for the install tomorrow. I went ahead and cut the hole in the wall, put in a low voltage box and have the fish tape going from the main floor to the basement. All they need to do is tape the wire to the end and pull up. Should make his job easier since no drilling at all so I would think no charge for that.

While I was at it I found the dual wall plate I forgot I had and fished my other coax through already. Then rewired the coax outlet in the basement and replaced some power outlets from the old two-prong to a new three-prong and re-routed the ethernet cable. Geez I did a lot of stuff today.

You have done the part of the wall fish that is difficult and expensive. Should be a free deal. Even after measuring and taking care...there is unexpected stuff in walls.

You da man!

Joe

Installer is here. He doesn't like the fact we are wanting new cable run and wanting to use the existing for something else. He keeps trying to come up with something, but I'm not budging.

The installer came out and the first issue was he kept questioning why I wanted to reuse our existing cable for something else. He finally gave in and said they would run new cable. And we have one spot that will be fished up through the wall that I already have fish tape in the wall ready to pull the wire up and he said "he will let it slide" and no charge.

Then he couldn't verify line of sight that would be guaranteed for two years. The only person who can do it is his boss who is a few hours away. So they put the order on hold until his boss can verify the line of sight. So who knows when we will get our system installed...

In the same boat.

I feel your pain. I got an e-mail from the customer advocate saying that they could not come out Saturday after all. Now they say they'll do it on Monday. I hope so because after Monday I go to work on 12's for a few days and I'm gonna be here when they install. If I let my wife handle it there's no telling what I'd wind up with.

Hub

The installer came out and the first issue was he kept questioning why I wanted to reuse our existing cable for something else. He finally gave in and said they would run new cable. And we have one spot that will be fished up through the wall that I already have fish tape in the wall ready to pull the wire up and he said "he will let it slide" and no charge.

Then he couldn't verify line of sight that would be guaranteed for two years. The only person who can do it is his boss who is a few hours away. So they put the order on hold until his boss can verify the line of sight. So who knows when we will get our system installed...

Well, that sucks indeed. At least he was decent about the running of the wires. Can't blame him for not wanted to get in trouble and following protocol I guess. Hope you get it soon! :)

Jason

When we moved into our new house I pulled CAT5 to all the rooms and all speaker wire for home theater and outdoor speakers. So when the DirecTV tech showed up to do our "movers" install I showed him where he could drop his line down from the attic and he said he would have to charge me $50.00 for that. WHAT! Everything has already been drilled for you buddy. It was in inside wall with no insulation. He wouldn't have even had to get his fish tape/rods off the truck. I told him to cut me 200ft of cable and leave all the equipment needed for the install. You can't trust ANYONE in Memphis, TN.

Installer is here. He doesn't like the fact we are wanting new cable run and wanting to use the existing for something else. He keeps trying to come up with something, but I'm not budging.

Jesus! That tech is a stiff. You practically did the entire fishing job for him. What the hell is he whining about.
sh*t, if a customer did that for me, I'd tip HIM!!!!!!

When we moved into our new house I pulled CAT5 to all the rooms and all speaker wire for home theater and outdoor speakers. So when the DirecTV tech showed up to do our "movers" install I showed him where he could drop his line down from the attic and he said he would have to charge me $50.00 for that. WHAT! Everything has already been drilled for you buddy. It was in inside wall with no insulation. He wouldn't have even had to get his fish tape/rods off the truck. I told him to cut me 200ft of cable and leave all the equipment needed for the install. You can't trust ANYONE in Memphis, TN.
No way I'm charging for that.

It left a real sour taste in my wife's mouth when he said "he would let it slide" like he was doing us a favor when we did all the work. I'm hoping line of sight isn't an issue and if it is I guess we are staying with Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)