Non-install today

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It left a real sour taste in my wife's mouth when he said "he would let it slide" like he was doing us a favor when we did all the work. I'm hoping line of sight isn't an issue and if it is I guess we are staying with Dish.

IF you have DISH and your signals are good, you should have NO Problems getting signal for D* , D*'s sats are much closer span than what DISH uses.

Jesus! That tech is a stiff. You practically did the entire fishing job for him. What the hell is he whining about.
sh*t, if a customer did that for me, I'd tip HIM!!!!!!

Yea, I am not sure what his deal was. He said something about splitting wires and mumbled saying he wouldn't do that. I don't think he gets all he has to do is run an additional wire right next to the existing runs. Then acted like he was doing me a favor on "letting it slide" when he said he would wire it and use my fish tape that was all ready to go. We'll see what ultimately happens if they can find the line of sight that can be "guaranteed for two years".

IF you have DISH and your signals are good, you should have NO Problems getting signal for D* , D*'s sats are much closer span than what DISH uses.

That's what I thought and what dish finder shows, but his device (I forget the name) shows one satellite comes directly through a tree, while the others are good. He says he could get a good signal right now, but they can't install it if in 2 years trees will get in the way. He said if they do, I don't have to pay. Apparently his supervisor has the satellite finder thing that can estimate tree growth.

To me it sounds like he just blew this install off with the excuse about los...

If I were a betting person I'd say los is wide open especially with E* already in place.

If I were a betting person I'd say los is wide open especially with E* already in place.

While I don't disagree with you on the blowing the install off part, sounds like he really didn't want to work a sunday.

Dish can catch satellites from the eastern arc, I've run into this a couple times and had to turn down an install just this past week because of that reason.

While I don't disagree with you on the blowing the install off part, sounds like he really didn't want to work a sunday.

Dish can catch satellites from the eastern arc, I've run into this a couple times and had to turn down an install just this past week because of that reason.

I know he had at least two jobs after mine because he was talking to the dispatcher on the phone while he was there. He was complaining about how he had an install that might not get started until 7 or 8 pm because he was the only installer. He told the dispatcher to try and get them to reschedule. So this definitely made it easier for him to get that done a LOT sooner.

Another thing he mentioned to try and persuade me to use the existing wire is that the satellite will NEVER go out (including storms). I said word for word, "You cannot say that nor prove that. I know better." He look dumb founded and said, "Well its a lot better than that non-powered E* one you got". I almost wanted to cancel on the spot.

The downside is, he said he would be the one returning for the install.

That's what I thought and what dish finder shows, but his device (I forget the name) shows one satellite comes directly through a tree, while the others are good. He says he could get a good signal right now, but they can't install it if in 2 years trees will get in the way. He said if they do, I don't have to pay. Apparently his supervisor has the satellite finder thing that can estimate tree growth.

I agree ...

Thats REALLY sad, because you already did the majority of the work.

Should have told him to just leave you the equipment and you would do the install yourself.

Another thing he mentioned to try and persuade me to use the existing wire is that the satellite will NEVER go out (including storms). I said word for word, "You cannot say that nor prove that. I know better." He look dumb founded and said, "Well its a lot better than that non-powered E* one you got". I almost wanted to cancel on the spot.

The downside is, he said he would be the one returning for the install.

Every installer usually leaves a card, call his company and talk to the boss and have HIM come out to your place and do the install.

I would have showed him the door at that point.

Every installer usually leaves a card, call his company and talk to the boss and have HIM come out to your place and do the install.

I would have showed him the door at that point.

He didn't leave a card, nor a phone number. I called DirecTV after he left asking for the local dispatch ph # for the installer and they said they didn't have it.

He didn't leave a card, nor a phone number. I called DirecTV after he left asking for the local dispatch ph # for the installer and they said they didn't have it.

Call them again, they DO have the local installation company name and number for your area. They gave me MY guy's number when I asked.

Call them again, they DO have the local installation company name and number for your area. They gave me MY guy's number when I asked.

I'll try again. If I get it I am thinking about telling them to send someone else or I will cancel the order.

Called and she said they can't give out the number, but they can send a request for them to call me. She asked why and I told her the supervisor is to verify line of sight and I don't want the installer that came out today to come back and perform the install. I told her I would like the supervisor and/or a different tech to come out. She said the note she sent to the company was to have the supervisor call me directly to discuss.

EDIT: Can anyone tell exactly what three satellites I need LOS for? I can't recall which ones he named. I think it might have been 101, 110, 119 or 99, 101 & 103

Last edited:
The installer may be correct about a possible LOS issue where the current Dish is at now. E* vs D*

The first image is D* that slightly goes through the tree. The image is over three years old so that tree has grown. The second image is E* and doesn't touch the tree yet, but is slowly approaching the LOS.

This is assuming I need 99, 101 & 103 for D*.

Attachments

• dtv.PNG
    dtv.PNG
    82.9 KB · Views: 161
  • dn.PNG
    dn.PNG
    77.1 KB · Views: 165
Called and she said they can't give out the number, but they can send a request for them to call me. She asked why and I told her the supervisor is to verify line of sight and I don't want the installer that came out today to come back and perform the install. I told her I would like the supervisor and/or a different tech to come out. She said the note she sent to the company was to have the supervisor call me directly to discuss.

EDIT: Can anyone tell exactly what three satellites I need LOS for? I can't recall which ones he named. I think it might have been 101, 110, 119 or 99, 101 & 103

99, 101 and 103 are the main ones you definitely want.

The installer may be correct about a possible LOS issue where the current Dish is at now. E* vs D*

The first image is D* that slightly goes through the tree. The image is over three years old so that tree has grown. The second image is E* and doesn't touch the tree yet, but is slowly approaching the LOS.

This is assuming I need 99, 101 & 103 for D*.

Don't forget, the sat signal comes in MUCH higher than you would think.
It hits the reflector much higher and bounces into the LNB, not the other way around.
What I'm getting at is the angle that the LNB arm points is WAY low for where the signal comes in, alot of people look at the arm for height.

I might purchase the dishpointer app on my wifes iphone and take a gander.

Well no call from the local installers today. Even after they said the supervisor would verify LOS by today and having D* corporate sending them a message to call me. I'll give them one more day..

I don't know how long ago that they gave you that information, but when I tried to get them to give me access to the company scheduled for my Saturday upgrade, they said that they used to have access to the information, but they no longer do.

They actually did give me access several years ago, but not today. Presumably because customers were bothering them too much? Of course, every time I call and talk to a different person about things, I get different information.

Status
Please reply by conversation.