Noob General Questions/LNB/Recivers/Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

telcar

Original poster
Jan 28, 2017
so as the title seas im a noob to fta sat, and if figuar id by some cheap stuff just to play with a little. I cut the cord at my house months ago and been using custom kodi boxes to do all my tv watching. Personally i could care less about live to but i do like wwe on Mondays and Tuesdays and my o'lady likes have live tv. I currently using an iptv option but its not all that reliability or dependable. So im looking at other options, i know fta antenna is an option but it its not all that reliable and not much of an option for good stations unless you like soap operas, old movies, and the news. Ive always wanted to play with setting up my own home sat system but its just never a projected that's realty came to the service untill now. Im going to get some cheep stuff for now just tomplay around with. Now i already have 2-36'' sats left over from dish or whatever so i figuered id just reuse them for now, and maybe by a big 10' c banned dish later if this all works out. l also have an idea for an expensive sat receiver Linux server that would wirelessly transmit the singal over wifi to all my kodi boxes. kinda like that hd homerun thing but better. All that aside tho thats the long term im posting to ask about the short term for now. My first question is about the LNB, now im wanting cheap as possibly right now but decent. now id like a LNB that can receive ku & c banneds but i read that the combined ones aren't to good but i would like to go that way if possible, less stuff to by for now and it would need to work with the old 36'' dishes i already have. iv also read theres a c banned extender thingy that goes on the end of the LNB for smaller dishes. Now i will by 2 LNB's for each banned if necessary or recommended, but as cheap as possibly for now. Now the second thing is sat receivers iv seen several cheapo receivers. but i got something just a little better in mind. Now first off can just about any sat receiver pick up ku & c banneds?, and this is the one in had in mind Dreamlink T6 Satellite Receiver. I picked this mainly because it used kodi as the main dashboard but will it work for what i want. ??I apologized if this is a little lengthy or babely. Any help or input would be much appreciated and if i forgot or left something out please feel free to comment, like i said im a noob. Thanks in advanced for an help anybody offers. I also apologize if this postbis not in the right place feel free to move if need be

i tried posting a link to the sat receiver Dreamlink T6 Satellite Receive but it wouldn't let me post i wrapped it in code but still said it was spam. You should be able to google and find it no problem

Welcome to SatelliteGuys telcar. Yes, I moved your post to the FTA forum. You can't post links or pics until you have reached a slightly higher post count and time on board, as you saw to keep the spammers out.

Are you sure those dishes you have are 36". Are they Dish Network branded dishes? If so which ones? If not which brand and model number?
DN does not have 36" dishes. Their super dish was close, but also an elliptical design, so you would have to find a matching LNBF with proper LO(Local Osc.) and that is not as easy.
You can use a standard LNBF designed for more rounder dishes at somewhat of a loss.
You can modify the DN dishes to work on Ku somewhat, but you will not acquire all of the channels up there. Those dishes are too small. Maybe good enough to get your feet wet, will be able to tell you more when I know for sure what you have.
As far as C band on those dishes you can forget that, especially with a combo C/Ku LNBF, those are pretty useless on a dish that small. The "extender thingy", you are talking about is called conical scalar. They help on offset dishes for C-Band, but really designed for a 4-6 foot dish.
Give us some more info about your dishes, etc, and we can tell you more. I sell a Ku band LNBF, but would like to know more about what you have.
As far as the receiver you mentioned I have never owned one.

Reactions: telcar
ok so it was my bad it was 32''/22 1/2'' direct tv dish i have down low and the one above on the roof i dont have measurements for but will get up there if i have to for measurement. its a hugesnet sat tho. I took pictures and uploaded a zip file called 'dishes.zip' that can be found at ( //files.mycloud.com/home.php?brand=webfiles&seuuid=be734f9c315e46d1f7d1b3740e8030da&name=dishes ) just ad the https: at the beginning. As for the receiver goes i know nothing about it, i just wanted to know if it will pick up all the bands and do what i wanted

Welcome to SatelliteGuys telcar. Yes, I moved your post to the FTA forum. You can't post links or pics until you have reached a slightly higher post count and time on board, as you saw to keep the spammers out.

Are you sure those dishes you have are 36". Are they Dish Network branded dishes? If so which ones? If not which brand and model number?
DN does not have 36" dishes. Their super dish was close, but also an elliptical design, so you would have to find a matching LNBF with proper LO(Local Osc.) and that is not as easy.
You can use a standard LNBF designed for more rounder dishes at somewhat of a loss.
You can modify the DN dishes to work on Ku somewhat, but you will not acquire all of the channels up there. Those dishes are too small. Maybe good enough to get your feet wet, will be able to tell you more when I know for sure what you have.
As far as C band on those dishes you can forget that, especially with a combo C/Ku LNBF, those are pretty useless on a dish that small. The "extender thingy", you are talking about is called conical scalar. They help on offset dishes for C-Band, but really designed for a 4-6 foot dish.
Give us some more info about your dishes, etc, and we can tell you more. I sell a Ku band LNBF, but would like to know more about what you have.

I hope the above post gives you all the info you need if not let me know

well is there a good cheap package or something i could get to get started, i could i get a receiver and just hook it up with with i have and get something

Sure, click here. This is an awesome dish and LNBF combo, nice price too.

Sure, This is an awesome dish and LNBF combo, nice price too.
and what would i be able to get with this just the ku band and that still leaves
me short on a receiver, and would the be any possibility of pick any kind of c band anything up with with. im just wanting to to spend as littlr as possibly to get my feet wet then upgrade each component as i go. was kinda hoping 150/ 200 max but if i cant get any c band that kinda disappoints me because ive heard ku band isnt nothing but crap unless you like antenna tv style crap and are multilingual

Yes, just Ku. There are one or two C-Band transponders one can get on that dish, with a lot of work though. Most guys go it just to see if that can, it will not be anything reliable.
That is an excellent dish to get your feet wet. If you are wanting C-Band and don't want to spend much money, you will need to get out and drive around looking for abandoned C-Band dishes and knock on some doors.
You can can get a lot of them for $50-$100 and a lot of the times free, just to remove it and get it out of their way. If you are wanting a new C-Band dish that is descent you are looking at 1000's of dollars.
I have not messed a lot with the cheapo FTA receivers, but they are all over eBay. Most though will not offer any kind of support after the sell and will list features and that really do not work, or work poorly.
If you are looking for a good FTA receiver I suggest the Linkbox 9000i, but just the receiver will take all of your budget. You can grab that over at www.hypermegasat.com.
If you grab a cheap one off of eBay it is like buying a pig in a poke, but I can understand not wanting to spend over $150 on a receiver and not like the hobby.
Speaking of which, that is exactly what it is, a hobby. Things come and go on C-Band, don't expect to get channels you get on pay satellite or cable. Sometimes you will but mostly you will not.
If I were you, I would grab a good Ku LNBF like the Maverick MK1-PLL or the geosatPro and buy you a universal bracket and mod one of those dishes to take that LNBF.
Get you a receiver somewhere, either get one from Hyper, with good support or risk a lower cost one. Get it working and play around with it a few weeks, if you are liking it then start that search for a C-Band dish and save up for a good receiver, if you bought a cheaper one.

ive already started asking around to all my junker friends and stuff looking for dishes but from what ive been told i dont understand. whats the difference between ku standard antenna tv

Ku band satellite uses a dish, usually an offset, and usually smaller than a C-Band dish. It must be aimed at satellites up in space just like C-Band. Ku band is just on a higher set of frequencies than C-Band.
It must also must be line of site to the satellite, in other words nothing can be blocking the signal, ie. trees, buildings, mountain, etc.
Regular antenna TV is aimed at broadcast towers on the ground. These do not have to be line of site.
Of course you are familiar I'm sure with regular broadcast TV, all of your NBC, ABC, etc, etc. Also limited to 100 miles or less of range.
With a satellite being apporx. 23,000 miles away. A TV station can aim a dish at the same satellite in CA as someone in NY.
So someone can up-link a feed say a ball game and then TV stations all over the country can tune it in and then rebroadcast over their NBC, ABC, etc.......or cable companies pick it up and distribute it over their cable system.
Ku-band can have Network channels, but as far a FTA it is mostly temporary feeds, like the ball game I mentioned after the game is over the transponder goes dark.
Same with breaking news, and special events, etc, etc. There are are some full time religious and foreign programming and a few others.
This applies the same for C-Band, feeds come and go with a few things that are semi full time. I say semi, because they could be there for a few months to a year or so and then disappear without warning.
It is part of the hobby and the fun to just see what you can find. :)
Go to sathint.com or lyngsat.com and look though the channels for the free channels and you will see kind of what is there.
Remember if you are looking at these sites not everything you see is free, just the ones that are designated as such.

Reactions: armadillo_115
Go to sathint.com or lyngsat.com and look though the channels for the free channels and you will see kind of what is there.
Remember if you are looking at these sites not everything you see is free, just the ones that are designated as such.

And don't count on a specific channel still being available FTA just because sathint or lyngsat says so. Some listings need to be brought up to date. It's a huge job for the volunteers to keep pace with all the FTA comings and goings. Hats off to them for all they do!

If you happen across a specific listed channel that is really important to you just ask about it here in the forum and someone can verify if it is still available FTA. :)

first of all the receiver you machined KE4EST is very interestinh and it uses xbmc which is kodi. and just a dumb question is there a way to transmit a signal for others to pick up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)