Norton 2013 Desktop Gadget Falls Victim To Windows 8

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
I installed Norton Internet Security 2013 earlier today and noticed that my Norton desktop gadget was missing after the install. I came to depend on that little green gadget to insure Norton was properly protecting all my families computers. I first checked Microsoft's Gadget Gallery and was politely informed that they no longer host that gallery, to focus on the exciting possibilities of the newest version of Windows. According to Symantec their desktop gadget was removed in their new software to comply with Windows 8. Well, I do not have a touch screen monitor, I don't plan on getting one and really don't need all the bloated code for one in my operating system on my home PC. Windows 7 is just fine. Actually I still miss Windows XP, but then who am I to stand in the way of progress......... :rolleyes:

269260-norton-internet-security-2012-norton-gadget.jpg

P.S. Windows 8 may be fine for tablets, but not for my main home PC. For me Windows 8 sounds like an Apple iOS want-a-be. :p

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 206
Yeah 8 is faster plus no need for Anti_virus since 8 comes with it anyway just one less thing to have installed on your machine..

Yeah 8 is faster plus no need for Anti_virus since 8 comes with it anyway just one less thing to have installed on your machine..

they say its good but i still don't trust it. its free if i remember correctly no?

I have always been leery of a free lunch, and in this case included security software with Windows 8. I can't say that it is bad or ineffective, just leery of it. While looking into this I ran across a claim by Norton I find simply hard to believe as well. "Proven to make Windows 8 run 50% faster than Windows with Defender"

If Windows 8 is truly faster than Windows 7 as some claim, and the included security software is as good as what I just paid Norton for, that would be great. I wonder if it would work well with Outlook.

Obtw I called Norton over the phone and purchased my NIS 2013 yesterday. I told them that I was having cable internet installed on Friday, that TWC is offering free MacAfee security software for free and that I have been using Norton for over 10 years. Which is all true, whereby Norton sold me a 3 license download for 28 bucks. Not bad in my opinion, but I will continue to research Windows 8 for future use.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts