Not happy with the Dish Hopper DVR

If I am not going to be using the Joey's is there any reason to upgrade from my 922 to this? It looks to be a rehash of the 922 with a few extra features?

If I am not going to be using the Joey's is there any reason to upgrade from my 922 to this? It looks to be a rehash of the 922 with a few extra features?

There are a number of benefits of the Hopper over the 922. Probably the biggest for you would be the fact that it has an extra tuner and the PTAT feature.

Lose TV2 output. Lose built in Sling (but adapter is only $30). Gain an extra sat tuner. Gain PrimeTime Anytime (if that is of any appeal). Gain Blockbuster @Home (again if that is of any appeal). Unsure about what will happen with OTA tuners(when it will be released, single or dual, etc).

Basically I wouldn't see any pressing need to change from 922 (or a 722 for that matter) if the Joey for HD at additional TVs/Whole Home DVR is not needed and two tuners are servicing you OK.

Long term any new features will probably only be seen on Hopper, doubt much if any will be ported back to the 922.

Lose TV2 output. Lose built in Sling (but adapter is only $30). Gain an extra sat tuner. Gain PrimeTime Anytime (if that is of any appeal). Gain Blockbuster @Home (again if that is of any appeal). Unsure about what will happen with OTA tuners(when it will be released, single or dual, etc).

Basically I wouldn't see any pressing need to change from 922 (or a 722 for that matter) if the Joey for HD at additional TVs/Whole Home DVR is not needed and two tuners are servicing you OK.

Long term any new features will probably only be seen on Hopper, doubt much if any will be ported back to the 922.

Thanks, but if I am losing Tv2 output(which i dont use because it does not output HD) and gaining another tuner isnt that the same thing really? This 522 or whatever dish gave me for the downstairs hdtv is horrible ever since i got it and it cost and extra $7 a month or so.

Ill probably upgrade either way as i always have to have the latest things out :D

This would be an important reason for me to upgrade...

Thanks, but if I am losing Tv2 output(which i dont use because it does not output HD) and gaining another tuner isnt that the same thing really?

Not really. With the 922 you have 2 sat tuners. With the Hopper you get three. Less chance of timer conflicts even if your not using PTA.

Put a Joey on the downstairs TV and you have a shared DVR between both TVs, both with the same 922-like interface. If the downstairs TV is currently a DVR, then you might lose one tuner total (2 in the 922 + 2 in the downstairs dvr vs 3 in Hopper). But at $7/month I'm assuming the downstairs unit is a non-dvr 211 or 211 with EHD.

The only negatives that the 813 would have vs the 922 that I can think of is no tv2 output which could result in a Joey $7 fee that the 922 didn't have but we do not know if that applies to the first Hopper on the account or not yet. If it includes the first Joey then it is a big plus all the way around.

I personally feel like the 1st joey being included is just wishful thinking.

I personally feel like the 1st joey being included is just wishful thinking.

I think you are right. I think that the hopper will be free like all DISH receivers are now on your account. The price of the receiver is already factored into your basic programming pack anyway. The Joeys will most likely be $7.00 EACH. Each additional hopper afer the first will be $7.00 and of course the multi-view $4.00 fee will be added to the $6.00 dvr fee or $10.00 .

So a home with one hopper and two Joeys would be :

Free - Hopper
$14.00 - 2 x $7.00 Joeys
$10.00 - Dvr/MVF
--------------------------
$24.00 in fees to use the system before programming added.

Two hoppers and two Joeys
$21.00 - Additional Hopper - $7.00 / Joeys 2 x $7.00 - $14.00
$10.00 - DVR/MVF
-----------------------------------------------------------
$31.00 in fees to use the system before programming added.

In my case I would want two hoppers and one Joey, so :

Free 1st hopper
$7.00 - additional hopper
$7.00 - Joey
$10.00 - DVR/MVF
-------------------------------
$24.00 In fees to use system before programming added.

Wow yours is cheap I pay 64.00 in equipment fees before programing is even added. I would save a fortune in the other pricing structure but then I wouldn't have the number of tuners that I have now.

Last edited:
I swear Dish should give anyone in this forum one of these that wants one now. So we can stop guessing. They would only have to install a few hundred, or couple thousand? It would also be good practice for their installers. Because we are probably the most willing people to deal with the setbacks of the new technolgy and them working out the kinks. I'm sure there will be some still when they launch. Hear that DIRT.

Last edited:
I swear Dish should give anyone in this forum one of these that wants one now. So we can stop guessing.
EXACTLY....STOP GUESSING. Patience, GrassHOPPERS! They are still finalizing the software as we speak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)