Not that is means anything, but has anyone noticed?

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Zap2it guide data for the HD Cinema channels (101-121) ends early AM on May 5th (which makes since given the shutdown), but quide data for HDNews and the specialty channels (122-130) continues at least through the end of available data on May 3rd.

They've probably gotten that data way ahead of time

Voom probably sent them that data way before the big announcement or they obtained that information before that big announcement. With stuff constantly repeating every so often on the Voom exclusives, it's not that hard to make a schedule for them. Not that I'm saying they repeat wayyyy too much but that they repeat more than they should.

lilyarbie said:
Not that I'm saying they repeat wayyyy too much but that they repeat more than they should.
Check out the schedule for Majestic HD (107) - starting on Sunday, April 24, "Fiddler on the Roof", non-stop until EOV (end of Voom).

Tvlman said:
What time on the 30th will they actually pull the plug?
We should probably start a pool on that question. There has been no word nor even a rumor.

I suspect that it will be 5am ET May 1st, to give leftcoasters their late night Voom until 2am. But the Voom website does say "on April 30, 2005." Take that literally and it could be anytime on the 30th. That being a Saturday, 5am ET Saturday morning would also work. Perhaps at 5am they will remove channels and have a single channel "slate" saying goodbye (for all those who missed the emails, on screen message and letters).

It would be classy if they would have a thank you slate throughout the weekend (even into May). But I suspect that all TPs will go to static on that Saturday night.

Start a pool. How will it all end?

JL

I was thinking of Tivo'ing HDNEWS for like 24 hours starting late on the 29th and then just rewinding to see what happens, I don't stay up that late.... ;)

justalurker said:
Start a pool. How will it all end?

JL

All the STB's will glow red hot and start melting down at 3:01 EST AM May 1 . At 3:02 AM EST the Rainbow 1 satellite will mysteriously loose contact and telemetry control with the ground station. At 5 AM EST Rainbow 1 will kiss the upper most layer of the atmosphere and begin a flaming glorious end to it's life while spelling out Voom in white hot smoke across the sky in the contrail. Wow! What a sight!

Indy said:
All the STB's will glow red hot and start melting down at 3:01 EST AM May 1 . At 3:02 AM EST the Rainbow 1 satellite will mysteriously loose contact and telemetry control with the ground station. At 5 AM EST Rainbow 1 will kiss the upper most layer of the atmosphere and begin a flaming glorious end to it's life while spelling out Voom in white hot smoke across the sky in the contrail. Wow! What a sight!

as it crashes into the DirectTV and Dish satellites....then finnally slams into little Jimmy's D's house :D :D

Have you noticed that besides the movie channels the other VOOM21 channels such as RAVE and Auction HD no longer mention VOOM.

Also I am told that a few live soccer matches are still a go in May as are a few live auctions on auction HD.

What does this mean?

Folks while I believe VOOM is done as we know it, it will live on as something else.

VOOM is scheduled to go offline at 12:01 on April 30th.

I (as we all do I'm sure) hope it does live on as something else...who-ever may pick em up will probably charge us an arm and a leg for them tho.

dkag7 said:
as it crashes into the DirectTV and Dish satellites....then finnally slams into little Jimmy's D's house :D :D
Yeah!! That's the ticket! :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Have you noticed that besides the movie channels the other VOOM21 channels such as RAVE and Auction HD no longer mention VOOM.

Also I am told that a few live soccer matches are still a go in May as are a few live auctions on auction HD.

What does this mean?

Folks while I believe VOOM is done as we know it, it will live on as something else.

VOOM is scheduled to go offline at 12:01 on April 30th.

I know I am being picky but does offline means that certain channels may still be broadcast in the clear? and does it mean that our old recevievers will still get it? I know the other channels will probably be gone but are you saying the VOOM 21 or part of them will continue after April 30th?

Damn I wish Cablevision would have just a little respect for its customers and be more open. I would respect that more even though they may be going dark. I think they finally owe that to us.

SCOTT. If the "offline" time is 12:01am then that's 9:01 pm West Coast time. So movies & everything will shut down at that time?

Not that it makes a difference but I noticed that someting is happening and the pq is starting to suck again.

gutter said:
Not that it makes a difference but I noticed that someting is happening and the pq is starting to suck again.[/QUOTE

The end is coming near and Voom is probably losing staff and shutting things down slowly. :(

voom turned my service off earlier than I asked them too, which pissed me off. :mad:

the PQ is horrible!

I had someone over to see VOOM, before it shuts down. We watched stuff on EquatorHD, always the best PQ for showing it off, and it was REALLY BAD!

I mean, splotches, blur behind lettering, etc.

Maybe they are seeing how low it can go, to get down to to E* standards :)

Something I noticed......

On all the SD channels, there seems to be a faint blue line in the center of the screen. You can't tell it all the time unless a person's face is showing right where the blue line is and then it is very noticeable. I get this on both of my Voom receivers and on both of the television sets they are hooked up to.