NPS Shutting Down G3 Channels in April

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
This found on Satforums.

NPS regretfully announced today that the following channels will go off of C-Band on 04-06-10 : Atlanta ABC, NBC, CBS, Cartoon, WPIX, Spike, VH1, TruTV, TNT, CMT. Cust's who already have subscriptions to those channels will receive pro-rated credits to their NPS accts. which can then be used to purchase other programming from us. This development was caused by the increasing costs to uplink the G3 channels on 2 transponders no longer being economically feasible without further uplink fee increases which Mike and John decided to not do. This change will help to extend the longevity of the more critical channels like CNN, HLN, FoxNews, CNBC, MSNBC, USA, Lifetime, Hallmark, Comedy that will still be uplinked by us on G3 on one transponder.

I called NPS right now and told them I want to talk to a supervisor. They wouldn't let me and tried pushing a dish package on me. I see allot of unhappy people there planning on screwing including me. :mad: I'll wait for this to die down a bit then demand a supervisor another day.

Its too bad someone from TBS Broadcasting isn't reading this. Let me be very clear about this. Offer Ala carte channels directly to the end user and you may be surprised. I would have no problem paying 10 dollars a month for Cartoon Network to get it off a master feed. I am sure that more then you get now from any cable or satellite provider. I am sure others would agree me if the channel was Fox News. People WILL pay for quality.

Its too bad someone from TBS Broadcasting isn't reading this. Let me be very clear about this. Offer Ala carte channels directly to the end user and you may be surprised. I would have no problem paying 10 dollars a month for Cartoon Network to get it off a master feed. I am sure that more then you get now from any cable or satellite provider. I am sure others would agree me if the channel was Fox News. People WILL pay for quality.

It won't happen. There is no massive authorization center for PowerVu. Many years ago when everything was VC-2 GI provided the authorization center and most programmers did this. It costs allot of money to run a call center and with C band there just aren't enough takers now. They figure if you want our channel get cable or pizza and that's it. It's pizza and cable that force the channels to be bundled together and charge high rates for the bitstarved crap.

If you ever want to see Cartoon Networks master. Program it in a DVB receiver and hope that one day they have a computer blowout and are forced to go ITC for a while. It can and does happen from time to time. I have seen PowerVu masters (not cartoon network though) and they looks awesome.

From NPS website today:

Channel and Satellite Updates
3-8-10
Effective April 6, 2010, the following channels will no longer be available:

WGCL (CBS)
WSB (ABC)
WXIA (NBC)
WPIX
Cartoon Network
Spike TV
VH-1
TRUTV
TNT
CMT

NPS is a dead issue. We need to look forward to what SRL and Skyvision will do. If anything they won't make the same stupid mistakes NPS did.

At least NPS tried to do things. What has SRL done? Seems to me like Skyvision is the only hope. Or maybe Charlie could get back in the Cband business! And offer the service to videophiles wanting higher quality:D

At least NPS tried to do things. What has SRL done? Seems to me like Skyvision is the only hope. Or maybe Charlie could get back in the Cband business! And offer the service to videophiles wanting higher quality:D

What is this.... you had to come here to this forum to see how much trouble you can stir up because you couldn't get anyone to respond to you on the other one.

What is this.... you had to come here to this forum to see how much trouble you can stir up because you couldn't get anyone to respond to you on the other one.

Hey, in case you haven't noticed. I've been a member of this forum since 2005.:eek:

Charlie got the $$$$ and he does make some good receivers. He could easily build us the box we need.:D

If Charlie cared about C band he wouldn't have left it years ago to try to take on Direct tv. Charlies vision is to be king of ALL pay tv. Too bad for Charlie companies like Comcast can eat him for breakfast. :) I don't care for Comcast in general but they do allow us access to HITS so they ain't all bad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)