NYC MPEG4 in da house!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sltmag

SatelliteGuys Family
Supporting Founder
Jun 8, 2005
I guess I am one of the wackjobs that puts a satellite dish up at 11:30 at night. OK, I am wacked, but at least I didn't have to climb up on a roof. Anyway, the dish is one big mutha! The odd thing is, is that the base is the heaviest part of the whole thing. Assembly was a little difficult because of the size of the dish. Not so easy to reach around the dish and tighten the nuts. I also had to use the mast adapter for my rail mount. It worked like a charm. Very snug and secure. That dish ain't going anywhere.

So how does the picture look? Needs work! Should that be surprising? I don't know. I think I noticed less artifacts on NBC, but CBS was a total mess. This is the first day (night) that these stations are up. I am sure some major tweaking needs to be done by D*. It is nice to just hit a single channel number and get programming. The other HD channels seem to be changing quicker with this new dish as well. Did I mention it being big? Night guys! Gotta get the box in the trash!

sltmag said:
I guess I am one of the wackjobs that puts a satellite dish up at 11:30 at night. OK, I am wacked, but at least I didn't have to climb up on a roof. Anyway, the dish is one big mutha! The odd thing is, is that the base is the heaviest part of the whole thing. Assembly was a little difficult because of the size of the dish. Not so easy to reach around the dish and tighten the nuts. I also had to use the mast adapter for my rail mount. It worked like a charm. Very snug and secure. That dish ain't going anywhere.
So how does the picture look? Needs work! Should that be surprising? I don't know. I think I noticed less artifacts on NBC, but CBS was a total mess. This is the first day (night) that these stations are up. I am sure some major tweaking needs to be done by D*. It is nice to just hit a single channel number and get programming. The other HD channels seem to be changing quicker with this new dish as well. Did I mention it being big? Night guys! Gotta get the box in the trash!

I'm a little confused. Why could you only hit a single channel number? Aren't FOX, NBC, CBS and ABC in HD still in the 80's?

These are MPEG 4 channels. Not the MPEG 2 channels in the 80's.

So, apart from PBS HD, are there any other channels available that are not on the existing MPEG-2 feeds?

Sorry. This single channel number thing you guys are talking about, its for the analog feed, right (not the HD feed, right) ? :confused:

Thanks - Matthew.

There are no new channels and no PBS.

The last H20 software update changed the default selection of your local networks to the MPEG4 HD equivalent.

Channel 2 in NYC is CBS. Hit 2 on the remote and be brought to the MPEG4 HD channel. You will have to channel up to get to the analog local. I just delete it from my favorites.

To steal from baltchops post "So, with MPEG 4 and the H20, you can watch CBS HD on 2, Fox HD on 5, etc"

Last edited:
sltmag said:
Sltmag,
Did D* let you do your own install? Was it difficult to get the alignment right? Also, did D* contact you about the dish and receiver upgrade or did you go out and buy it yourself

I ordered a dish myself so I installed myself. I did not fine tune the dish yet, but I am hesitant as I am receiving signal strengths of 98 on 101 and 110 and 100 on 119. If that is good enough for you then I would say alignment was not all that tough. There is an overhang where my dish is located, so it may be the reason why 101 is a tad lower than the rest. I was never able to get higher than where I am now in th past with other dishes.

NestOfRobins said:
Anyone have a clue as to how big the spot beam (NY-HD Locals) is?

dtv4s.gif

OK, that's for D*4S, what about the question of the HD spot beams that are on SW1???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)