October 1st, only a month away...

Well I think the WM9/MPEG4 thing is what it takes to look like 17.5 mbps bitrate under MPEG2 would only take 11 or 12 mbps under WM9/MPG4. If you look at it like that then 12mbps/WM9 is better then 12mbps/MPG2.

Also I agree that RM would have it easier making AMCHD, IFCHD, and WE-HD, HDNet will not budge forget about it... but Voom should be very aggressive and get InHD 1/2.

I never saw that SEC form filing statement where is the source for that. Late 2005 implementation of WM9 seems forever by then D* or E* would have caught up. However WM9/MPEG4 for SD would free up SOME bandwidth but not much.

Dvlos said:
I never saw that SEC form filing statement where is the source for that. Late 2005 implementation of WM9 seems forever by then D* or E* would have caught up. However WM9/MPEG4 for SD would free up SOME bandwidth but not much.
You can follow the link on the CableVision website or go directly to http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1289606/000095012304008987/x97206a1e10v12bza.txt - it is the 3rd paragraph under the "OUR STRATEGY AND BUSINESS PLAN" chapter.

Market Advantage: VOOM can fully implement MPEG-4/WM9 in a year, whereas it will take years (3+) for D* or E* to fully implement this technology across their networks. Will this translate into $$$ - perhaps somebody should at VOOM should purchase, "Marketing for Dummies."

riffjim4069 said:
DarrellIP,

The additional transponders alone should allow VOOM the ability to increase bandwidth on all HD channels; migrating SD channels to MPEG-4/WM9 should further increase available bandwidth and, let's hope, further increase PQ. My local CBS station recently started multicasting a radar/weather channel. The 2Mb of bandwidth they wasted on this subchannel has, IMO, made the channel almost unwatchable. This weekends New England vs Carolina game was a prime example of how a meager 2Mb can destroy a high quality 1080i sports production!!!

If VOOM can add 2-3Mb of dedicated bandwidth to every HD by the end of the year, I'm sure we will all notice the difference. If they dedicate 17.5Mb of bandwidth after implementing MPEG-4/WM9 (Jan-Mar ?), then I am sure we will all be ecstatic!

Offhand, other than saving bandwidth I have no idea how much MPEG-4/WM9 will improve PQ by itself. The fact, "I hear it is better" and "it looks great on my PC" means little to me. The proof will be in the pudding!!!

The unknown factor (business issue) is their building redundancy into the VOOM product. Yep, at some point in the future they need to have a disaster plan should one of their satellites sh*t the bed. Hopefully, they will take full advantage of all TPs and not allocate bandwidth as though they were preparing for a meteor storm.

Thanks for the clarification. I really hope they do increase the bitrate for HD once the SD moves to WM9, if they don't, they are making a HUGE mistake.

I agree even if WM9 for SD is implemented first, having more TPs should allow Voom to offer the best looking HD, and they have to move before D* muscles them out of every national retail chain meaning they better strike a deal with the Wal-Mart, Targets, and K-marts out there, and triple quick.

Well as you have already noted, the new Sat should be used to acquire more HD channels:

The new transponder lease agreement with
SES Americom, Inc. is designed to give us significant additional channel
capacity, which we will seek to use to be the premier location for
high-definition programming.

Here's where it get's dicey:

For
example, once the MPEG-4 conversion for standard definition and high-definition
is complete, we will be able to offer a package of up to 58 high-definition
channels and 176 standard definition services. However, we have not yet decided
how we will allocate such increased capacity between standard and
high-definition but expect to make that determination during 2005 based upon our
perception of consumer preferences at that time.

Ok Voom your customers prefer more HD at this time, yes, INHD, HDNET, Wealth, your channels in HD? Anything.. LISTEN TO ME... we PREFER more HD.

The additional transponder capacity we have acquired through our lease on
Americom-6 would give us the capability based upon MPEG-2 compression to offer
either 39 high-definition channels or 156 standard definition channels or a
combination of high-definition and standard definition channels.

So immediately upon it's implementation we are talking only 3 MORE HD channels under MPG2 but double the SD capacity??? How is that possible. The only thing I can think of is that they over compressed the HD channels to offer 80 SD channels. With the new satellite (which can only do SD?) they could shuffle off all the SD (as riffjim said) to the new Sat. and allow them to give more Bandwidth to HD and then at that point you'd only have room for 3 more HD channels?

That's under MPEG 2, they say in this SEC that they can mix and match channels as need be, but it only seems they can mix SD into Rainbow 1 but NOT HD into the new lease. Or else Voom would potentially be able to carry more HD than this. SO, with the implementation of MPEG4/WM9 in 2005 for SD, that would mean V* would be able to offer all the SD that some people have been asking for like G4tech, SciFi, kids channels, etc... and possible add 3 more HD channels - 1 PPV Channel and InHD1/2 (that's the only way to do it leaving the barker channel alone).

I guess I understood wrong, I thought TPs could be used in conjunction to send HD signals or SD signals, so only Rainbow 1 has the ability to send HD? Also Rainbow should keep an open mind about it's "21 exclusives" if there is a way from getting some revenue back from these channels they should... if they could get HDNet but it would mean losing Moov.. DO IT. OR pump more money into making their 21 exclusives into HBO type channels which JUST won't happen.

Here's another idea, bring in AMC-HD, IFC-HD, WE-HD to Voom and market them as part of their "21 Exclusives". Only now their 21 exclusives carry more weight if you ask me.

Dvlos said:
Here's another idea, bring in AMC-HD, IFC-HD, WE-HD to Voom and market them as part of their "21 Exclusives". Only now their 21 exclusives carry more weight if you ask me.

End result would be great but then it would not be exclusive if you include them. Exclusive, in marketing language, means "knowbody else will have them but VOOM." Not exactly true but the thinking is great.

Let's face it. We are all staved for updated information from VOOM. Especially in the light of current economic events. Got to give us a reason to stay the course. (Oh God! I am talking like Ronald Reagan.)

gutter said:
End result would be great but then it would not be exclusive if you include them. Exclusive, in marketing language, means "knowbody else will have them but VOOM." Not exactly true but the thinking is great.

That's what I mean, the HD versions of these channels.. only on Voom.

riffjim4069 said:
DarrellIP,

The additional transponders alone should allow VOOM the ability to increase bandwidth on all HD channels; migrating SD channels to MPEG-4/WM9 should further increase available bandwidth and, let's hope, further increase PQ. My local CBS station recently started multicasting a radar/weather channel. The 2Mb of bandwidth they wasted on this subchannel has, IMO, made the channel almost unwatchable. This weekends New England vs Carolina game was a prime example of how a meager 2Mb can destroy a high quality 1080i sports production!!!

If VOOM can add 2-3Mb of dedicated bandwidth to every HD by the end of the year, I'm sure we will all notice the difference. If they dedicate 17.5Mb of bandwidth after implementing MPEG-4/WM9 (Jan-Mar ?), then I am sure we will all be ecstatic!

Huh? You said the local CBS "destroyed" HD production by adding a weather radar, which probably takes <2mbps. But you'll be "ecstatic" if Voom ups the bandwidth to 17.5mpbs, which is probably what your local CBS has NOW. What gives?

barth2k said:
Huh? You said the local CBS "destroyed" HD production by adding a weather radar, which probably takes <2mbps. But you'll be "ecstatic" if Voom ups the bandwidth to 17.5mpbs, which is probably what your local CBS has NOW. What gives?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=4256610#post4256610

The bitrate was recently measured at 16.5Mb and verified by several sources. I am no expert, but the Crap-O-Vision consensus indicates 17.5Mb as being the minimum acceptable bitrate for 1080i sports. I know, 16.5 and 2 only adds up to 18.5Mb so I will assume a few bits are lost due to multicasting and error correction. 8-VSB and E-VSB were on my summer reading list, but that damn grass kept growing and I have 3 acres of it to mow. :(

What I can tell you is that WUSA-DT was a model broadcaster prior to their creating that nasty subchannel. To be fair, CSI and rest of the prime time fare looks the same. However, sports like football look like crap during action frames. I'm sure my wife wouldn't noticed, but I sure do...and I'm sure the PQ experts here on the VOOM Forum would have a field day with this one.

Since VOOM is skimping on HD bandwidth, I'm sure they can enable filters to reduce artifacts...but at the same time give the picture a "soft" appearance. In my specific case, the loss of 2Mb is killing PQ. I can only hope they get rid of the subchannel vice employing some filter technique that softens the PQ.

Forgot to mention...17.5Mb would be a huge improvement over the 12-14Mb? VOOM is currently providing on some of the Exclusives. Also, 16.5Mb looks fine on the CBS primetime lineup, but it doesn't "cut the mustard" when showing live sports. Perhaps 1Mb would make a world of difference!

Also you are forgetting that Voom's bitrate is variable, up to 15/16 on max the average was posted here to be at 12mpbs.

I meant fixed rate 17.5, variable bitrate is what's causing the mosquito noise IMO, pixelation during motion, and other artifacts. A constant 17.5 for all HD channels and you'd be doing better than any service right now. D* and E* put their best foot forward with HDnets. It seems to be, although I could be wrong, that if space was freed on Rainbow 1, that Rainbow Media could do the same with HD.

Is there any e-mails for the Dolans and/or the VP of Marketing and Sales @ Voom, I'd like to send e-mails off for this thread and others on this site to them and maybe they'll read it for the good of VOOM.

Voom informercial on FUSE / new Trailer on Cinema10

Extremetech review of Voom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)