Odd Thing Happened w/722k

I had to replace one as well

Just got off chat and they seem to think a 21.0 remote will solve the problem, which I have my doubts. Get this, because I don't have the service plan, they wanted to charge me $15 to ship a remote to me. I told the rep no thanks, I can get one from work and not allow Dish to make money on the shipping charge. It would be a lot less thn $15 to ship a one pound remote. Just another way they try to screw you I guess!

I bought mine replacement off ebay for 13. It got to where it was working sometime & sometime not.

I'm thinking it's not the remotes. My 722 also began acting odd a couple of days ago. It was responding so slowly to the guide that it was almost unusable for the first night. All other functions seemed to be normal. The next day it was much faster. On day three it got a bit slower again but not as bad as the first day. Today it seems slower then it used to be but not unacceptable. Of course this is all subjective.

It seems like the nightly restarts change performance in some way.

I just replaced the battery - and I have two UHF remotes - one for TV1 and one for TV2. I see the same problem with both.

Sorry to bump, figured the last post wasn't too long ago... I seem to be having this problem off-and-on with one of my two 722k's. Most of the time the problem goes away after some time, maybe hours, not sure how long, however it seems that today it's decided to be slow all day.

Any info? I'll power cycle the unit, sure it will fix it, but what exactly causes it? Is the unit defective?

Sorry to bump, figured the last post wasn't too long ago... I seem to be having this problem off-and-on with one of my two 722k's. Most of the time the problem goes away after some time, maybe hours, not sure how long, however it seems that today it's decided to be slow all day.

Any info? I'll power cycle the unit, sure it will fix it, but what exactly causes it? Is the unit defective?

Dish's software must be causing this somehow...my remote was acting up again yesterday too...extremely slow when using the guide. Today it seems better.

Ghpr13:confused:

Well mine finally quit being slow. Didn't need a power cycle this time, phew! Still wish I could figure out what causes it though.

I have 722K receiver installed last saturday with 20.0 remote and L662 firmware.
I'm using it in single mode with the RF remote.
I have had the delayed response to remote buttons when in the Guide issue twice now. Used the front panal reset to fix it each time.

I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with TV2 (I'm in dual mode.) It may have been coincidence, but when I turned on TV2 yesterday, the guide was fast as it should be on TV2, so I thought that was odd. Turned off TV2, went back to TV1, guide was normal again. As I said it may have been coincidence, but it's worth a try, mess with TV2 if you're in dual mode, see if it's slow?

i didnt read all the responses to this post, so i apoligize if this is useless info ...but i noticed the record light being on while niether tv1 or tv were recording. This started a day or so after i connected the receiver to the internet to check out dish on line. what i found was on the create timer screen, it had an extra option under the dvr / auto tune / reminder column. i think it said ext and if that was checked, then that timer would think its recording to an external hard drive and the red record light would light up on the front of the receiver.
as for the 20 remote, ive always hated it so i bought a 21 so tv1 is now uhf pro, no problems since

It's a software glitch.. Not a TV 2 issue.. Not a remote Issue.. Sounds like something in the software gets stuck in a loop and eats the memory.. Power reset fixes the problem until it happens again.. Been like this since a recent software update.... Fix it Charlie!!!

Well it might be a coincidence again, but I JUST checked my other ViP 722k, and TV1 guide was slow again. TV2 was off. So, I turned TV2 on, checked the guide on TV2. Guide speed was normal on TV2. Turned TV2 off. Went back to TV1 which was on the entire time, checked the guide, it was normal again. Again I'm in dual mode.

So it seems to me that turning TV2 on/off seems to fix the bug for me.

It's a software glitch.. Not a TV 2 issue.. Not a remote Issue.. Sounds like something in the software gets stuck in a loop and eats the memory.. Power reset fixes the problem until it happens again.. Been like this since a recent software update.... Fix it Charlie!!!

Well it might be a coincidence again, but I JUST checked my other ViP 722k, and TV1 guide was slow again. TV2 was off. So, I turned TV2 on, checked the guide on TV2. Guide speed was normal on TV2. Turned TV2 off. Went back to TV1 which was on the entire time, checked the guide, it was normal again. Again I'm in dual mode.

So it seems to me that turning TV2 on/off seems to fix the bug for me.

I agree with skyviewmark, this is a software issue. Even if turning TV2 on and that fixes the problem, it still shouldn't be like that. I been with Dish a year now and I never had a problem with the remote or the guide until I the date I started this thread. It needs to be fixed.

Ghpr13:(

definitely software. mine started about 8-10 days ago as well.

and soft/hard resets help for a short period of time. (brand new batteries in remote btw).

this is annoying.

i've never really dealt with Dish tech support, is there someplace to email/complain about this? the more people that do, the sooner it will (hopefully) get fixed.

-george

Still having Remote/Guide problem...

I'm still having a problem with the Program Guide responding to my remote on the VIP722k. Last night it started up again while my wife was trying to watch TV. Every other minute she was calling out to me (I was on the computer) to let mr know that "this damn thing still isn't working!" :)up if you been there)
Anyway, today I sent Dish the following Email:
For the last 2 weeks now I've been having trouble with my Dish remote and using the Program Guide. I put brand new Duracell Batteries in the remote and that hasn't helped. The Program Guide is responding EXTREMELY SLOW after pressing buttons on the remote. The only thing that corrected it was to unplug the VIP722k and after a minute, plug it back in and let it "reboot". Later in the day or the next day, the Program Guide is back to being EXTREMELY SLOW again. There is a thread about
this problem on SatelliteGuysUS. Other subscribers are having the same problem. This is a very annoying problem that needs fixing.
I have Software version L662 on my 722k.
Please advise on what Dish is doing about this problem.
Thank you

I'll post any answer I get. It might help if other members having the same problem could Email Dish too.
Take care all,

Answer From Dish

Today I received an Email from Dish about the "Remote/Guide problem" I and others have been having. Here's the Email:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thank you to taking the time to contact us.

Based on the information you have provided, it appears you are experiencing a remote problem.

The steps outlined below should resolve your issue.

1.) Check that the key at the bottom of the remote matches the TV you are trying to operate (room may be on your remote sticker). TV1 is located in the same room as your DISH receiver.

2.) Press and release the SAT button on the top left corner of your remote control - button will briefly light up.

3.) Remove the existing batteries from the remote control and install new batteries.

4.) Check that your UHF remote antenna is securely connected to the "Remote Antenna" port on the back of your receiver and that the antenna is upright.

5.) Press MENU, then "6-System Setup", "1-Installation", "3-System Info" - press RECORD button on remote control.

6.) Unplug your DISH receiver for 10 seconds and plug back in. It may take up to 5 minutes for the reset process to be completed.

If the following steps have not resolved your issue, please visit dishnetwork.com/chat to start a live chat with a technical service representative for additional assistance.
Thank you for your email.

Sincerely,

Jenna FYW
Dish Network Technical Support
[/FONT]
I have not had a chance to try these steps yet. I'll do it either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'll post my results.

Ghpr13:confused:

Brilliant response. It's as if they could not read the english you wrote. Wonder why??? Anyways we have the same BS problem here. Been a couple weeks. Really messes up the 6yr old...

Love the UHF antenna bit...

BTW, how did the chat session go. Can't wait to read the transcript!!!

Brilliant response. It's as if they could not read the english you wrote. Wonder why??? Anyways we have the same BS problem here. Been a couple weeks. Really messes up the 6yr old...

Love the UHF antenna bit...

BTW, how did the chat session go. Can't wait to read the transcript!!!

Tech Chat was down so I couldn't use it. Had to send my Email via Dish's web site. After I try the steps in Dish's reply, I'll try Tech Chat if it's up & running.
Most of the time I love using a company's Tech or CS Chat, but with Dish, because I had a friend use his CC to secure their equipment for me, I always get hassled about "not being authorized", even though my monthly bill is paid with Auto-Pay using my debit card. Plus I have my password, security question answer, VIP722k S/N, and the account #, and the service/billing address is in Kentucky (where I live) while my friend lives in Chicago. Yet every time I contact Dish by Chat or Phone, it's 15 minutes of hassle to have them discuss my account with me. In the year I've been with Dish, this has been my biggest frustration with them...once we get pass that point I get pretty good service from CS or Tech.

Last edited:
this is interesting...

i was having the issues again last night as well.

i also emailed tech support and got THE EXACT SAME RESPONSE as Ghpr13.

i wrote them back telling them it was basically NOT a remote issue. they never replied.

frustrating...

Another thing I found that seems to make the guide go back to normal speed for me, is pressing the MENU button twice (system info screen.)

Yeah, I get sick of damn companies nowadays... They either make you talk to a recording, or you talk to zombie CSR's that try to pretend that they are (stupid) robots with canned responses. They all seem to do it. Anyone ever seen the movie Idiocracy?

This may make no since but I am 100% convinced that the situation exists. I have my 722K about 3 feet away from my PS3. I have a RF remote that I use from a distance and one at the primary TV location. When the PS3 is on the RF remote for the 722K does not work nearly as well. It is more of a problem with the lcation that is farther away. I can be using the Remote in the "other location and if it is acting up I go check if the PS3 is on and 100% of the time it is. Shut off the PS3 and all works fine.