Official Letter

Status
Please reply by conversation.
W5 will be a hard sell around my house, No CMT or GAC, No Discovery, No Food Network, and $40/mo.

If I can use existing hardware (922) Will probably go that route, if I have to buy more obsolete Motorola hardware, forget it. DirecTV will be installed in my home and I will again have channels I should have had all along like CMT, TBS, TWC, ESPN, FoxSports, Nick, and Disney. Just wish they didn't force this sh*t on us.

I was happy (bittersweet) with my $15/mo package from SRL. No channels go to waste.

i was happy back when i had analog c band subscription...everything was there. 4dtv was sweet too when all the masters were available...now they are trying to force us to the way of the general population...over compressed pictures, 800 shopping channels and bunch of other crap we don't watch but will have to buy to get those 15 channels we actually watch...

c band went against the big cable company's plans for growth since they want prices to go up and up and we want cheap subscription and maintain our own equipment...

Mom lives in the house with me now - she has directv along with c band in her room. i may have her order two HD directv receivers if the cutoff happens on 12/31 of course i will still use FTA as extra stuff

This is what is available on W5

WebForm1

W5-Pick-10-Pack

W5_CINEMAX

W5_DISC_SUITE

W5_FAMILY PAK

W5_GET-IT-ALL

W5_HBO

W5_HBO/MAX

W5_MTV-MINI PAK

W5_SPORTS PAK

W5_STARZ

W5_SUPER PAK

I loved ala carte on C band and used it for many years. Plus you could buy a channel for a month or few if something you liked was there. No contracts, no hidden feeds and low low prices. Now with Directv I have a 2 year contract pay for 150 channels which I watch maybe 12 at the most. C band was and got close to what the cable companies payed for programming. They always hated us because they never made that tall buck on us. Cable was a heck of allot more reasonable back in the day and there was no contracts. Now were forced all this crap. If I didn't enjoy a few channels so much I would have told them all to go to hell. But then I'm taking away something I enjoy and lately very little enjoyment has been in my life. So I caved to their demands.

We recently took vacation in Orlando, FL and the villa we rented had a 46"? LCD TV in the living room. I forget the name of the cable company there, but I would be pissed to pay them $59 a month for that garbage. Picture quality reminded me of early Primestar days (didn't Primestar use digicipher) It was not the TV, just garbage fed to it from the CATV company.

I hope W5 will be made available for our 922's, and would be nice to have Discovery, FoxNews, and Food Network.

Bottom line, us country folks need more choice than dish network and Direct. Kinda like trying to choose between Democrat and Republican, both are crooks.

If SKYVISION would get a receiver that would receive combomode and QPSK, so we could receive channels on both HITS satellites, I am sure they would pick up most of us 18,000 TVRO'ers.

Last edited:
I saw this commercial on tv about a woman buying a drink at a fast food place. The guy behind the counter quoted her two prices. The woman asked why. The guy asked if she got cable and she said yes. Then he grabbed her money and told her she can afford the higher of two prices.
To me that just show how people are aware of the high price of cable and having channels most people don't watch
Sad...

I wonder if the DCII signal is available in Europe and if so, what receivers do they use? MAYBE there is a FTA receiver available that could receive that signal.

I will not invest in a 410 because there is no promise of longevity with that out dated system. I just don't want to invest and get screwed again Dec 31 2011 or whenever Comcast throws in the towel for the 410. Getting only 4.5 years out of my almost $600 4DTV is a bad return on my investment, since my Monterey 50 gave me 16 years.

18 months on 4D for me, give or take...luckily mine was marketed by a local auction house as a "commercial satellite receiver" and nobod knew what it was...except me. I've always enjoyed satellite and have the luxury of two birdview dishes to use for fun, no matter what the receiver may be.

I reluctantly agree on the shaky nature of a move to a 410 receiver. We, the competent, "willing to spend money" for good equipment people of C-Band are rightly suspicious of the length of service on skyvision's 410 offerings. Not because of them, but their reselling of someone else's signals. We, as a group have been told that large, corporate concerns are more important than we, the legitimately-subscribing smaller group are. And, when you think about it, we're not the ones that need constant service calls! We do our own!

Ideally, if longevity and maybe even growth of selection can be provided, I would be ditching the 4d in favor of a new positioner that talks to an FTA box, and feeding a 410 signal from the same dish for when I want "standard" cable channels. But, how long will the $129 investment go before it's thrown out? Is there any "channel" (no pun intended) that anyone has to the provider of 410's programming to know how they stand on its viability and continuance for a reasonable amount of time? When you start adding up equipment, the cost begins to equal more than a few months of cable, and loses the hobbyist the "independence" of what we all enjoy....picking signals on our own from the sky!

Would be nice if a "Special Former 4D customer" purchase price" from skyvision to bolster the subs on 410's might help show that we still don't want to move to small dish or cable. The only thing that talks to the large corporation is dollars. I've not seen anything on Skyvision's site to indicate a move to 410 and away from 4D is a solid one for consumers.

we rented a cabin in the smokey mountains that had a 52" plasma tv in the living room above the fireplace. they had digital cable of some sort with a motorola DCII decoder box with HDMI.
some channels were pretty good and most were like garbage. That big display certainly seperated the men from the boys when it came to the channels.

If the general population could ever see what we see on c band and FTA...the cable and pizza dish companies would be in a real pickle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts