OH NO VERIZON! New shared plans announced

meStevo said:
So taking last month's usage:

Wife + I:
0 of 700 shared minutes
1454 texts (wow)
3.1 gb of data

This appears to be pretty consistent month to month... and I never use wifi at home and at work... so could even be improved upon.

Current Plan:
$70 - 700 Minutes
$30 - Unlimited data for her iPhone
$30 - Unlimited data for my Nexus
$30 - Unlimited texts

$160 before taxes, etc. minus an 8% corporate discount on the $70

###

Ideal share plan for the above:

Share Everything Calculator - Verizon Wireless

$40 - Smartphone (Nexus)
$40 - Smartphone (iPhone)
$70 - 4gb, Unlimited text/messaging

$150 before taxes, etc... corporate discount TBD.

And for $20-$30 I'd be up to $170-$180, get 2-4 more gb, and can add a tablet or hotspot... kind of appealing and much more reasonable than before.

At least when she upgrades in October this doesn't seem as bad as flat out losing unlimited, she's anxious to move on from her iPhone and back to a QWERTY Droid.

edit:

The problem with blanket statements is you're much more likely to be wrong. This will save me money... and probably a lot of people and is why they structured it the way they did. I like the way the monthly access fees are structured especially. $10 to add a tablet to my plan? Much more likely to happen now.

You save $10 but you lose unlimited so if there's a month where usage changes, you have to worry about overages. I guess I value the unlimited data on my devices at more than $10/month. I don't see this as a big win.

You save $10 but you lose unlimited so if there's a month where usage changes, you have to worry about overages. I guess I value the unlimited data on my devices at more than $10/month. I don't see this as a big win.

You can argue the if's and but's all day, but we haven't gone over 3.5gb in 6 months.

I'm not saying this is a big win, but for most I'm willing to bet it's more than reasonable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The problem with blanket statements is you're much more likely to be wrong. This will save me money... and probably a lot of people and is why they structured it the way they did. I like the way the monthly access fees are structured especially.
If it saves you, and a lot of other people money, that is less revenue for Verizon. You believe that will happen ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am reading it right, this would actually lower my bill, and give me unlimited minutes versus what I have now. AND includes mobile hotspot (which I have through JB).

At the least, it would look to be the same price.

Edit: I checked. It will in fact be cheaper for me to swap to this when it comes out, and I gain more as well. I am pleased with it.

same for me as it would lower my bill.

Verizon releases plan to bundle data devices to a single packaged plan.

This is what I just got in:

CORRECT: Verizon Wireless Unveils Shared-Data Plans

("UPDATE: Verizon Wireless Unveils Shared-Data Plans," published at 9:47 a.m. EDT, misspelled Vodafone in the fifth paragraph. The correct version follows:)

--Verizon Wireless to offer plans to allow devices to share data
--Charges flat fee for data and fee per devices on the plan
--New plans encourage data usage, further move away from unlimited data

By Thomas Gryta

Verizon Wireless lifted the curtain on its long-awaited shared-data plans that allow users to put additional devices under one umbrella.
The plans will offer unlimited voice and messaging and a block of data for a flat cost, plus a fee for each device that will be drawing on that data. Such plans, which encourage increased data use by making it easier to add devices such as tablets, also increase the carrier's grip on paying for data that was once offered on an unlimited basis.
Rival AT&T (T) has also eliminated unlimited data plans and is expected to offer a similar plan that draws from one bucket of data. Sprint Nextel Corp (S) continues to offer unlimited data for people on its network. T-Mobile offers an unlimited plan, but throttles, or slows, users when they cross a certain usage threshold.
Sprint has said it will continue to offer unlimited data, while executives at T-Mobile have questioned the usefulness of multiple consumers drawing from one data bucket.
Verizon Wireless, a joint venture of Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) and Vodafone Plc (VOD), will launch the "Share Everything Plans" on June 28. They will allow users to cover up to 10 devices under one contract.
The data plans begin at $50 a month for 1 gigabyte of data and range up to 10 gigabytes for $100 a month. The monthly device fees for smartphones are $40, basic phones are $30, laptops are $20 and tablets are $10.
There is no additional charge to turn applicable devices into a Mobile Hotspot.
There will be no fee or contract extension for current subscribers to move to the new plans.
Verizon Wireless currently offers a 2-gigabyte data plan for $30 monthly, and 5 gigabytes for $50 monthly. Some of Verizon's customers still remain on unlimited data because they never changed their plans. Verizon has said that such customers cannot keep those plans if they want to upgrade their device with a subsidized one.
If they choose to pay full retail price for a new phone, usually hundreds of dollars more, then customers can keep their unlimited plan. For example, a 16-gigabyte iPhone 4S from Apple (AAPL) has a retail price of $649.

2nd UPDATE: Verizon Wireless Unveils Shared-Data Plans

--Verizon Wireless to offer plans to allow devices to share data
--Charges flat fee for data and fee per device on the plan
--New plans encourage data usage, further move away from unlimited data

By Thomas Gryta

Verizon Wireless lifted the curtain on its long-awaited shared-data plans that allow users to put additional devices under one contract, representing a major shift in how consumers pay for wireless service.
The plans will provide unlimited voice and messaging services, while also offering a block of data for a flat cost, plus a fee for each device that will draw on that data. The new pricing structure shifts the focus to data usage and diminishes the role of voice minutes and texts, once the basis for most wireless bills.
In addition, the plans encourage increased data use by making it easier to add devices, such as tablets. The move is an example of carriers providing buckets of data that can be used for multiple products and further transitioning away from prior plans that once offered data on an unlimited basis.
Shares of Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ)--which operates Verizon Wireless as a joint venture with Vodafone PLC (VOD, VOD.LN)--recently rose 24 cents, or 0.6%, to $42.80.
"We view this as a very positive move for [Verizon Communications]. The main benefit is to stimulate device adoption and usage on its LTE network," Wells Fargo analyst Jennifer Fritzsche wrote in a note, referring to Long Term Evolution, the name of the technology that Verizon is using for its 4G network.
Sanford Bernstein analyst Craig Moffett called the new plan structure "the most profound change to pricing in the telecom industry has seen in 20 years."
"In the high-fixed-cost world of telecom, pricing is the foundation of strategy," Mr. Moffett wrote in a research note.
Rival AT&T (T) also has eliminated unlimited data plans for new customers and is expected to offer a similar plan that draws from one bucket of data. Existing customers with unlimited data can continue using their plans, while Verizon has been more aggressive in encouraging a switch to newer plans.
Sprint Nextel Corp (S) continues to offer unlimited data for customers on its network. T-Mobile offers an unlimited plan, but throttles, or slows, users when they cross a certain usage threshold. T-Mobile also has questioned the usefulness of multiple consumers drawing from one data bucket.
The switch to unlimited voice comes as the carriers are seeing their users talk less and less, leading them to downgrade their spending on a service that is traditionally lucrative. Part of this has been driven by increased texting and other forms of data-based interaction, rather than the traditional phone call.
Meanwhile, data usage is rising, and carriers have moved to tiered plans in recent years to better monetize the trend. AT&T was the first to move away from unlimited data in 2010 when it began charging for a pre-set amount of monthly data usage with the biggest consumers being forced to shell out for their megabytes.
Last year, data accounted for 37% of carriers' $169.8 billion in wireless revenue last year, compared with 12% in 2006.
Stifel Nicolaus analyst Christopher King expects total wireless service revenue at Verizon Wireless to rise from the plans. He noted that subscribers may also be less likely to switch carriers, although he does expect other providers to offer similar data-centric pricing models.
An AT&T spokesman declined to comment on the timing of its own plan.
Verizon Wireless will launch the "Share Everything Plans" on June 28. They will allow users to cover up to 10 devices under one contract. Existing customers can remain on their current plans, but new subscribers will have to choose a shared plan.
The data plans begin at $50 a month for 1 gigabyte of data and range up to 10 gigabytes for $100 a month. The monthly device fees are $40 for smartphones, $30 for basic phones, $20 for laptops and $10 for tablets.
There is no additional charge to turn applicable devices into a Mobile Hotspot.
Users will get text message warnings as their data is consumed in the month, and can increase their allotment without extending their contract. There will be no fee or contract extension for current subscribers to move to the new plans.
Verizon Wireless currently offers a 2-gigabyte data plan for $30 monthly, and 5 gigabytes for $50 monthly.
Based on the current plan, a customer with 450 minutes of voice, 2 gigabytes of data and unlimited messages would pay $90. Under the new plan, a basic customer with one smartphone and the lowest data plan of 1 gigabyte also will pay $90 a month. Under that example, the amount is the same, but the customer will have access to less data but will have unlimited voice and the ability to make the device a hotspot.
Some of Verizon's customers still remain on unlimited data because they never changed their plans. After June 28, such customers cannot keep those plans if they want to upgrade their device with a subsidized one.
If they choose to pay full retail price for a new phone, usually hundreds of dollars more, then customers can keep their unlimited plan. For example, a 16-gigabyte iPhone 4S from Apple (AAPL) has a retail price of $649.

If I read this correctly, I now have unlimited on my Thunderbolt, 2Gb on the ipad, and 3 Gb on the myfi. My wife has a basic semi smart phone with e-mail data only. We pay $245 per month.

If I sacrifice my T-bolt unlimited and switch to the new plan, I see a bill of $190 for 10 Gb and tethering on my T-Bolt for free. all devices active. ( currently if I used it I would pay $30 for tethering ) 10Gb is more than enough for my mobile needs.

looks right
but dont forget the taxes and fees
you will be closer to the 245

I have $6.56 in fees on monthly access of $170. Hard to see anyone having $45+

Don's use case:

$30 - Basic Phone
$40 - Thunderbolt
$10 - Tablet
$20 - Hotspot
$100 - 10gb data

$200 total before fees. $210 if the semi-smart phone qualifies as a smartphone-class.

mine are currently this
Verizon Wireless' Surcharges and Other Charges & Credits $5.46
Taxes, Governmental Surcharges & Fees $6.38

but on the vzw website some people say they are paying 20-30 a month in fees
it varies by state

looks right
but dont forget the taxes and fees
you will be closer to the 245

I don't think so. While we do have high taxes on satellite TV, cell phone services are not as bad. I'm estimating my phone description on the LG since it really isn't a smart phone but does have their very low data plan now. I could be as high as $200, which would put me at $226 with taxes and fees. MY additional charges run about 13%. My last bill was $276 with taxes and fees. I can handle that $50 discount with a smile not to mention it will simplify my phone devices management.

BTW- I do own a chunk of Verizon stock so I am also concerned about the revenue hit to the company. That could easily wipe out phone bill savings, but if this aids in churn reduction, attract new customers, I'm for it. Time will tell on that but for now, I'm not selling even though my basis is in the high 20's on Verizon. Have held it for quite some time for the dividends.

mestevo- can you clarify about the Hotspot?

You added $20 for the hotspot.

I have if free now on the ipad. Share Everything Plan says this won't change unless I misread somewhere. Plus, I can turn on the T-Bolt at no additional charge too. Share Everything Plan is supposed to include Hotspot at no charge.

I used to have hotspot on the T-Bolt but when they updated my OS that changed and I was given the option to add it back for $30 a month last January so I dropped it as I also had the mify for my hotspot needs.

The devil is in the details!

Last edited:
Apologies here to the OP. I didn't notice your thread was about the Verizon Share Everything Plan announced today. If the moderator wishes to combine the threads, it's OK with me. Maybe a title adjustment would be in order too.

And for $20-$30 I'd be up to $170-$180, get 2-4 more gb, and can add a tablet or hotspot... kind of appealing and much more reasonable than before.

At least when she upgrades in October this doesn't seem as bad as flat out losing unlimited, she's anxious to move on from her iPhone and back to a QWERTY Droid.
If you have a nexus you wont need to get a hotspot, the wifi hotspot on your phone is now included in these plans.

Devices now just have an access fee, and then you pick your data, as I understand it.

Share Everything Plan: Unlimited Talk & Text with Shared Data.

Oh damn, I just realized mobile hotspot is free:

Turn your device into a personal mobile hotspot and share your connection and your plan's allowance with multiple WiFi-enabled devices.

When I said hotspot I was referring to a Jetpack/Mifi dedicated device, not phone functionality.

That clear it up? Hardware all has an access fee, but using your Thunderbolt to share your connection would be no additional cost (something that if I were doing now, would save me an additional $30, or buy $30 more bandwidth without incurring more costs)

Ooops, you are correct, that is not your quote. I see that the "multi-quote" function is broken in a different manner than it was previously.

Was my fault, I copied something wrong I think, no biggie.

And yeah, the mobile hotspot being free may get me to move plans over before wife upgrades... and just use wifi on my phone when available (available both at work and home) and sharing that connection with my wifi iPad 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)