Ohio News Net. move again?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I thought I was loosing my mind when I didn't see them all wekend. Bummer since I'm in Ohio and now they are gone...hope its not a trend....Blind

Hope this doesn't become a trend with other FTA channels. Ku-Band is not considered by many broadcasters to be a reliable transmission means, and fiber/IP is becoming more easily available.

Being originally from Ohio, now living in Michigan, I'm going to miss keeping in touch . ONN and it's round the state re-broadcast news was great.

Maybe there will be FTF receivers (free to fiber) someday.

Jim

ONN Official news :(

I sent them an email and here is the sad news guys!

Hi Mike,

We actually eliminated our satellite distribution of ONN effective July 15, in favor of an IP Device Delivery system. If you are interested in continuing service on ONN, I would be happy to send you information on the IP Device. However, you should know up front that it would cost $6300 per year.

Please let me know if you require additional information.

Thanks!

Barb

BARBARA J. GELLER
Communications Manager
WBNS-10TV/ONN

"$6300 per year" :eek:

I wonder what kind of IP Device it is?

Is it sent over regular internet, dedicated fiber line or satellite IPTV?

I sent them an email and here is the sad news guys!

Hi Mike,

We actually eliminated our satellite distribution of ONN effective July 15, in favor of an IP Device Delivery system. If you are interested in continuing service on ONN, I would be happy to send you information on the IP Device. However, you should know up front that it would cost $6300 per year.

Please let me know if you require additional information.

Thanks!

Barb

BARBARA J. GELLER
Communications Manager
WBNS-10TV/ONN
H:eek:LY SHIZZNIT BATMAN!!!!! I bet we could talk Powervu into letting us have all the HD cable masters on c-band for less than that! :eek:

for less than 72 cents AN HOUR you yes you can enjoy the Ohio News Network :)

I guess I'll watch some of it online :)

Dang it. I was hoping to order some that all natural peanut butter that ONN showcased about a week ago. Does anybody remember the name of the company that made it? This is what happens when you procrastinate.

Desprately seeking ohio news network

i really need to have ONN back.does any body out there at all have any info on what happened to this network did it move to another satellite,could they have moved to mpeg-4 ?

Beagle, read the thread you're posting in, the answer is here. Post#26 will tell you how to you can continue to get ONN . If you have deep pockets, lol.

i really need to have ONN back.does any body out there at all have any info on what happened to this network did it move to another satellite,could they have moved to mpeg-4 ?

I sent an email to ONN's director of marketing and his response to me was:

"Unfortunately I don’t see us going back on satellite in the near future."

But what's interesting is that I later got an email back from the VP/General Manager (who was copied-in on the email):

"I’m finding out that ONN is the WGN of cable…didn’t know people were ‘tuning in’ all over the US."

So I of course let him know that there are some 2 million people in the U.S. that have the equipment to watch their network, not to mention Canada and Mexico. As of now I haven't heard back from him. A few more emails to the VP from other interested folks might not be such a bad idea...

I sent an email to ONN's director of marketing and his response to me was:

"I’m finding out that ONN is the WGN of cable…didn’t know people were ‘tuning in’ all over the US."

A few more emails to the VP from other interested folks might not be such a bad idea...

Can you give us an e-mail address to send our requests to?

I sent an email to their marketing guy Frank I think it was....I mentioned they had a lot more viewers FTA than they thought. A lot of viewers outside of Ohio too. I living in Ohio enjoyed the Miami Univ. Hockey.....guess we'll see.....Blind

Dang, just got a reply from the VP/General Manager:
I’m sorry that our move from satellite to IP delivery has caused you to lose the ability to view ONN. We had no idea how many viewers were tuning in to our cable network directly and not via cable distribution throughout the US, Canada and Central America.

We have no plans of returning to satellite delivery as the costs continue to escalate…and we have no control.

Well I wrote in too, here is my letter to Mr. Griesdorm and his fairly quick reply.

Mr. Griesdorn,

I'm disappointed that ONN has been taken off the satellite. I work for a radio station and I know we sometimes find out the hard way how many people were listening to something we pulled off the air. But I also know writing a letter sometimes gets it back on. So, I'm asking.

I was born and raised in the Cleveland area, now living in Northern Michigan, ONN was the perfect way to keep in touch with news and events around the state. I would even like to buy some of the peanut butter I had seen on an ad just before ONN went dark.

Thank you for past years of service, hope to see you again.

James Sofonia
Director of Engineering-Midwestern Broadcasting Co.
314 E. Front St.
Traverse City, Mi. 49684

Thanks for the background info, James. That peanut butter---you can buy it @ www.krema.com

As for returning to satellite distribution…difficult to do at $28k per month compared to $6k per year for IP.

tg

I think I will order some peanut butter anyway.

Jim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fox's satellite on the simpsons

sathawk help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts