Ok FTA Channel Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jdc2006

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
First off newbie here. I have found the websites which list most of the FTA programming but I haven't really found a description of what it shows. I'm looking for more educational programming than anything. To give an example my favorite encrypted channels are history, science, discovery, hgtv, DIY, National Geographic, A&E, ect. I do enjoy the occasional sci-fiction programming but for the most part I like programming which teaches and keeps me abreast of current and future technology. Anything hands on I'm there. I'm not sure if their are FTA channels out there like that. Please let me know. The programming must be in the english language also. I do not speak any other language and it would be a waste of my time to set up an FTA system if the only channels I would be interested in are all of a different language. I'm interested in FTA by itself but as I just said it would be a waste of my time if I couldn't find programming i'd be interested in. Again I have seen a lot of the "channel" lineup for FTA but it still doesn't tell me a description of what the channel is all about. Hopefully someone can read this and understand my interest in the television department and let me know if FTA is worth my while.

Nevermind I've found a site which links you to most of the channels websites, it seems a lot of the FTA programming is educational and family oriented. NICE

if you are looking for channels like you posted above, then FTA isnt for you.

But if you enjoy the oddball shows, raw news feeds and sports feeds. Then FTA is for you

When a big news story breaks, FTA will have tons of news feeds. Hurricane coming soon? FTA will have feeds galore
Example was the election. My god I think there were like 500 feeds easily that night.

If you're a sports fan, FTA is a great addition. I watched 4 college hockey games last night. Out of those 4 one was for Ohio only (Ohio St/MN Duluth), 2 were from a tourney out east and one was from Alaska. Lots of college sports and when preseason starts for baseball, there are TONS of feeds

Hey Iceberg, is the Utah ED channels still clear on AMC5?

Hi jdc2006
Check out the utah ed channels on amc5, you may find a course you can take.

one thing worth seeing...

I don't usually suggest bothering with the couple of free channels on Dish, mostly because I subscribe to them and they're not usually all that exciting.

however...

Couple of years ago, when our Mars Rovers were approaching and landing on Mars, I was watching the NASA feed on Dish.
I've also watched the comet impactor project, live.
Oh, and there was a lander that went down on... uhhh.... one of the moons of Jupiter?
So many missions, so little time... :)

There is no better thrill than the nail-biting minutes (or hours) waiting to see what has happened.
Your nightly news will report success.
Your weekly science show will show you the highlights.
But nothing compares to the thrill of watching it all happen live.

Unfortunately, these events are not weekly.
They are rare, and you must know when to watch, to get in on them.
I consider the daily drivel from the International Space Station, to be just that.

....... it is educational... and it is in English... ;)

edit - two sites with FTA lists: 1, and 2.

there are a couple of channels on G10ku that show teaching stuff...mostly medical (at least when I tune in) and I think some computer stuff.

AMC-3 (87w) has a bunch of PBS channels, some with AC3 audio, that show typical PBS programming.

It also carries "The Patient Channel" which has numerous medical-type FYI shows.

The G10 educational channels have some really interesting stuff on there. This weekend I watched a fascinating lecture on plastic surgery that had a ton of before and after photos in it. They actually had to give the audience, which looked like a bunch of med students, a disclamer that some of the photos might be "grusome". I loved it. It's amazing what all they can do. Some of those people in the pics have nice looking normal hands, breasts, heads, and feet now after having major accidents that severed their limbs down to the bone via fires and/or other accidents like the one guy they showed that had his fingers chopped off with a saw blade in a wood workshop...

Patient channel is ok, but they do a lot of repeat shows I think.

I've never seen any programming on Lawyers TV.

There's some fta elementary level shows out there, but those are mainly aimed at kids.

PBS is always nice to have.

Plus, it's really nice to have news stories from a different perspective, like Al-Jazeera or Russia Today can give.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts