OK - I am being installed tomorrow. Need advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sobonefnet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
PA
So I am having D* installed tomorrow. I need some advice as to what I need to look for from the installer.

I am more concerned about being stuck with some out-of-date equipment.

Here is what I have request.

2 - HD DVR's
SWM install.

What model of receivers should I look for that would determine if it is the NEWEST model on the market.

I had to pay 199.00 for the extra HD DVR - is this a standard practice.

I have a hard time trusting most installers.....

Thanks in advance for any/all your help.

being an swm install you're getting the latest technology for D. you can expect the HR21-100 or newer models. also the cables including the hdmi ones are included in the box so make sure they don't try to charge you for the hdmi cables. keep any eye on the installer. make sure his installation is clean and you don't have the coax cables all over the place or being an eye sore.
newer HD DVR models also include the HR22 and HR23.

So what will I be missing out on if I get stuck with the HR21 versus the HR22 or HR23??

So what will I be missing out on if I get stuck with the HR21 versus the HR22 or HR23??

hard drive space. that's the only main difference. i have yet to fill up my hr21. in any case you could always add a huge external hard drive. ;)

They will give you anywhere from the HR20 on up. Since these are leased receivers there is no way to tell what you will get. They don't have to give you the latest and greatest for the installation.

And the SWM install may not be standard in your area yet. For example, in my area, SWM's are only installed if there is going to me more than 5 tuners connected. All others get a Slimline install for HD.

Make sure your installer explains to you everything he is going to do. Where the dish is going to be mounted, how the cables are going to be ran, etc... Ask questions BEFORE he starts work, and if you're not satisfied with his answers then don't let him do the install until you are satisfied.

They will give you anywhere from the HR20 on up. Since these are leased receivers there is no way to tell what you will get. They don't have to give you the latest and greatest for the installation.

the chances he does get a HR20 are slim don't you think jag?

the chances he does get a HR20 are slim don't you think jag?

I agree but it also depends on what equipment the installers received. They may have some refurbished receivers that they received for their installations.

I agree but it also depends on what equipment the installers received. They may have some refurbished receivers that they received for their installations.

well if that's the case the HR20 is also a good HD dvr :up

And the SWM install may not be standard in your area yet. For example, in my area, SWM's are only installed if there is going to me more than 5 tuners connected. All others get a Slimline install for HD.

IIRC that again has changed. Any NEW install that has any HD gets a SWM LNB now, nolonger has the 5 tuner requirement.

You will most likely get a SWM. Above all, I would make sure you get this. You get whatever receivers the tech has on the truck. Make sure you have good readings (at least in the mid 80's range) on most of the readings on the 99/103. 101 should have at least in the low 90's.

Cables are NOT included in the box, although he should/will provide you with cables...usually HDMI or whatever you choose.

Unless you have a complicated or custom work(wall fish, extra lines, pole mounts), there should be no charges.

If he does a good job, its always good to tip him in some form. If you feel like he's doing a crappy job, you're better off to politely run him off your property and reschedule.

If you REALLY want this install, be proactive. If you have not heard from him within an hour into your appointment window, call DTV and request the tech to call you. Remember they are often overbooked. If he's wanting to get home at a decent hour and feels your install is not worth it, he might try to blow you off. There might be a wide range of reasons why the install might not get done, some fact and some fiction.

being an swm install you're getting the latest technology for D. you can expect the HR21-100 or newer models. also the cables including the hdmi ones are included in the box so make sure they don't try to charge you for the hdmi cables. keep any eye on the installer. make sure his installation is clean and you don't have the coax cables all over the place or being an eye sore.
newer HD DVR models also include the HR22 and HR23.

There are no cables in the BOX

I spoke with the owner of the company that will be doing the install. I explained to him that I will refuse the install if they will not go with SWM. He said it is not a problem, he is pretty much doing SWM as default anymore.

I have all the drops in place in the basement, and a network closet with room for the SWM "splitter". So he has only one run of coax to run from the dish in and his job is pretty much done other than tuning, etc....

There are no cables in the BOX

the two hd dvr's i purchased and the hd receiver they all came with the hdmi cables in the box. plus the installer gave me two additional hdmi cables free.

I think I read something about being able to watch DVR'ed on a computer programming via a home network. Is this true or something in development?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)