OK - I am being installed tomorrow. Need advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think I read something about being able to watch DVR'ed on a computer programming via a home network. Is this true or something in development?

it's something in development but it will be available. once you're setup you can help us out by participating in a program we have that's for testing these new features before they go public. :) remember if you decide to participate in this program there are areas designated for discussion on this.they are the cutting edge forums above.

I think I read something about being able to watch DVR'ed on a computer programming via a home network. Is this true or something in development?

It's called Directv2PC. You just need to have your HD DVR's hooked up to your home network. You can have the installer hook up your HD DVR to the network most times. If it is a long way to your router and you don't want Cat 5e wire run all that way, you can request the installer to hook it up with Powerline Adapters. It may cost you extra money but it is sure worth.

By having you reciever hooked up to your network, you can get:
-Directv2PC
-Video on Deman
-Media Share

and a few other ones if you join the CE Program.

I am scheduled today between 8-12 (It is currently 8:20).

No one is here yet.....

Not sure who is doing the install it is a local contractor.

I downloaded the D2PC software and all cat6 is in place waiting for the installer.

The difference being that you purchased those receivers and didn't get them from a D* tech. The receivers that techs are getting don't have the cables included in them.

the two cables he gave me were in the box of the dvr and receiver he was bringing me. he did not know i had purchased my own dvr and receiver already but still gave them to me anyway. that's my experience. other members here have mentioned to me theirs came in the box too. don't know if it's different now but that was only 6 months ago. i'm not arguing with you just letting you know the cables came in the box for me and for the other members i've spoken to. from what you're saying this isn't always the case or might not be the case anymore and i believe that. :)

I am scheduled today between 8-12 (It is currently 8:20).

No one is here yet.....

Not sure who is doing the install it is a local contractor.

I downloaded the D2PC software and all cat6 is in place waiting for the installer.

let us know how it goes and when the installer arrived. i hope all goes well.

Well..

No installer yet. Although, he did call.

And he wanted to reschedule due to it starting to sleet here.

It was nice at 8AM. Its not my fault he decided to sleep in.

So, I told him I am headed out to clear and protect the spot for the mast anchor (porch roof), and I would see him when he gets here.

He doesn't even have to get off the ladder.

Well..

So, I told him I am headed out to clear and protect the spot for the mast anchor (porch roof), and I would see him when he gets here.

He probably had an appointment before yours... Believe it or not, techs have more than one morning appointment and one afternoon appointment...

I understand. My issue is I had to twist his arm to keep the appointment.

And I have had nothing but problems with installers in the past.

DirecTV home services just called and said he is on his way.

Well..

WHy do people think they are the only install that the tech has that time slot?

It is not uncommon to have two 8-12 am appointments, and three 12-4 appointments. It cracks me up when I get to my second install at 11 and the customer say "are going to be able to finish by 11:30 I have to be at work by noon"

OK install complete.

I think I made out OK.

2 - HR22-100's (BTW - what does the "100" mean)

SWM-3 dish

8 port SWM splitter ( that was all he had in the van :D

Ethernet hooked up and now it is time to play.

-100 is the manufacturer.

I think this list is right...

-100 is made by RCA/Thompson
-200 is made by Samsung
-300 is made by Philips
-600 is made by LG
-700 is made by PACE Electronics

OK install complete.

I think I made out OK.

2 - HR22-100's (BTW - what does the "100" mean)

SWM-3 dish

8 port SWM splitter ( that was all he had in the van :D

Ethernet hooked up and now it is time to play.

Welcome and hope you enjoy it. You might want to check out Undocumented HD DVR PLUS Tips & Tricks - DBSTalk.Com which has a ton of hints, tips and undocumented things about the HR2X boxes, like changing the 30second slip to a skip;)

i'm glad to hear everything went well sobo. welcome and don't forget to participate in our programs.

I understand. My issue is I had to twist his arm to keep the appointment.

And I have had nothing but problems with installers in the past.

DirecTV home services just called and said he is on his way.

It's Sleeting and your mad he wants to reschedule, personally I wouldn't of even showed up at that point and had our offices set a new appointment. My safety and ability to get home totally trumps your ability to watch TV.

Last winter we had a bad ice storm, closed for 2 days and when roads were clear of ice and debris I rolled to someones house for an install who demanded it went on his +7:12 pitch roof which was totally iced over. Expected me to climb off the ladder to the peak and was not going to have it any other way... and I quote... "You should have been brought shoes with studs to climb ice, not my problem your not prepared" The guy was a total prick. After about 30 minutes of arguing I just left as it wasn't going anywhere. To top it off a D* CSR Sup called me and threaten to get me wrote up for leaving, even after explaining. This guy for 2 weeks called my cell and our sups cells demanding immediate service since we were out 3 weeks. Needless to say a rookie got the appointment and called it a No LOS due to not being able to get to the roof and he didn't want a pole and went through the same problem and was forced to leave. Our Company refused service to this guys house and now if he still wants D* he has to go through a retailer and pay custom install charges.

Rain.. I will roll to at least verify LOS so you don't waste weeks and get hit with that, generally only complete service calls that don't require a lot of outside work or ladder work.

Snow... When the roads clear, but its going on a pole if the roof is wet.

Sleet/Ice.. Not even leaving my house

Wind (30+) no ladder (45+) I will try to roll but a full size van with 2 ladders is a huge parachute.

As far as appointments, I still don't know why D* or even E* still have a split appointment window. Constantly we are routed 5-7 hours of work in a 4 hour time period and still have un-calculated drive times. Unless weather conditions are horrible we are working our asses off to get to you as soon as we can. Not uncommon at all to be overbooked. But, If you have a 8-12 and your my 3rd for that time frame.. I will call you before 9am to give you a rough eta usually a spread of 2 hours as I still have no idea what I will run into at job #2. BUT.. you will get the same attention that I gave #1 and #2 even if it means that I will be late for my 12-4 work.

I am not complaining about my job, I love it... just complaining about people that assume they are the only job for the day and think someone sleeps till 10am before rolling.

Personally, I think he was glad he showed up. I helped him run the drop from the dish and mounted the splitter for him.

And handed him $50 on his way out the door.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts