Old BUD to new life?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WW_Rookie

Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Western Washington
After several attempts to try and figure this out this FTA stuff on my own, I could use some advise from some of you. I am trying to receive EWTN:North America Digital Service, at Galaxy 17, 91° West, Transponder11, NTSC which I understand is C-band.

I found an old 8 foot Big Ugly Dish, and bought a Viewsat Xtreme VS2000 receiver. I connected them up and nothing comes through. No surprise to you all, but it surprised me. I did not receive the original analog receiver with the dish. It has the old California Amplifier Mag90/Chaparral feedhorn/lnb (sorry, not real clear on the terminology of what is what).

My question is, can I use the dish and receiver that I have to get this FTA channel if I add a compatible feedhorn/lnb? I live in the Western Washington. What make/models will work for this, and what do I need to know about the focal distance and/or mounting of the new feedhorn/lnb?

Thank you, WW Rookie.

It sounds like the equipment you have should work to receive that channel.

Do you have the dish aimed correctly @ 91W?

Do you have the LNB setup and tp info entered into your Viewsat?

It should be something like:

Type: Single
LNB Power: On
L.O. 5150
22Khz: Off

The tp info is:

Freq: 3920
Polarity: H
Symbol Rate: 26000

The only reason you would need an analog receiver is to either operate a dish-moving motor, or to switch the polarity (horizontal or vertical) of the probe that is inside your Chapparal feedhorn.

If you are just setting this dish up for that one channel you could look down inside your feedhorn and verify your probe is in the horizontal position, if not just manually rotate it, you wouldn't need to control it electrically.

I just noticed your reference to NTSC, it is the old analog format. EWTN has an analog signal, but it is on Galaxy 15 @ 133W, to receive it you would have to have an analog receiver, but the your existing BUD and feed/LNB would also work for it.

Both the digital signal (on 91W) and the analog signal (on 133W) are on transponder 11 on their respective sats, not sure if they are the same programming.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)