Old Directv LNB work on NASA 119w?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, kicking around the idea of trying to use an old Directv LNB to pick up NASA on 119w with a 80CM Fortec Star locked onto G18 at 123w.

Any chance this would be doable?

I see some you guys have multiple LNB rigged onto one dish. I just wanted to try my hand at setting up a second LNB on the same dish.

Any chance the old Directv LNB would work? If not what would be a good cheap and compact circler LNB to try?

Thanks, DC

You can get a multi lnb bracket, that will allow you to have 3 or 4 (depending on the bracket) lnbs for your Fortec dish.
Another option would be to motorize the dish, and replace your current lnb with a invacom quad lnb (both linear and circular outputs).

One thing to remember though, is that these dishes only have one focal point, so while it may work, when you put more than one lnbf on a dish (other than perhaps one of those torroidal things), it is at best a compromise. Easier and better results to just use an old 18" DTV dish as mentioned above.

119 is a powerful bird (as are all circular birds) and you should have no problem with the lnb being 4degrees offset as long as the lnbs can be placed closed enough together to get 4 degree spacing. I have been able to get 9 degree spacing with a 18" dish, and about 5.5 degrees with a 30" dish before the lnbs touch. This will vary by your location, size of dish, f/d of dish and centre to centre distance of the lnbs placed side by side.

I highly recommend the Chieta 4X1 switch. It works very good.
Here is a link to it. (the switch is 15% off this weekend!)
Chieta 4x1 DiSEqC Switch - FTA Accessories
Just make sure to have no power going to the receiver when you install the lnb lines into the switch.
You would run one line from the circular output, and 1 line from the linear into the switch, then one line from the switch into the receiver. The Chieta 4X1 switch can be used outdoors.

I have a LNB for 119 attached to my dish that was aimed at 123...had no issues

Any old DirecTV or Dish LNB will work (single head) and can be attached to a dish with a hoseclamp ;)

What kind of switch/wiring (etc) would you use to combine the circular and non-circular signals?
Take a look at our Switch FAQ in ... the FAQ section... for suggestions.
Any 4x1 diseqc, or two-input 22khz switch (I favor the Ecoda if you go with 22khz) should work, as described in the FAQ.
If you really get busy with lots of LNBs (or dishes), there's a simple diagram using two diseqc 4x1's and an Ecoda 22khz switch, for a total of eight inputs.

SatPhreak seems to have expressed well, the concerns and considerations.
Getting the 119 LNB close enough to a 123 LNB would be the only worry.
But, as Iceberg has said, it'll work.
Mostly 'cause the 119 signal is so strong, you just can't miss it. :)

some various pics

1. 119/123/129
rest are various 119/123 setups I've had

Attachments

• 000_0536.jpg
    000_0536.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 000_0651.jpg
    000_0651.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 000_0681.jpg
    000_0681.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 123 & 119.JPG
    123 & 119.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IM000838.JPG
    IM000838.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 213
here was another one

119 LNB added to a Starchoice (107.3/111.1 dish)...with piece of wood as a spacer

wood & hose clamps are my specialty :D

Attachments

• IM000368.JPG
    IM000368.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 224
Hi all, thanks for the excellent replies. Love the pictures from Iceberg :)

Yes I did think of using a motor instead; however, the dish I want to set up on 119W and 123W is a wall mount with a limited range before the dish would hit the wall so I did not plan to use a motor from the start and did not plumb the mount. My other Ku dish has a tree starting to get in the way of the western birds and it is mounted to a post that is not stiff enough for a motor. One of these days I may hook up a motor but I would have to find a new place to mount it. Maybe to the side of the 3 1/2 inch pipe my BUD is mounted on. That will be a project for another day.

Think I will go out in a few with the small TV and receiver and hold the LNB in front of the dish and see if I can find 119W. Very curious to see if I can get enough spacing between the LNBs.

Will post a follow up on how it goes.

Later, DC

just put it next to the 123 LNB....you should get something to register on the quality meter

Hi Iceberg and the group, IT WORKS!

I went out and looked at the dish while set up on 123W with the satellite behind me and thought well, 119W would be a little higher and to the right so the LNB needs to go to the left and down. Hooked up the small TV and receiver and while holding the LNB in one hand I started moving it around near the other LNB and sure enough the receiver started beeping while on one of the transponders for 119W. After a bit of trial and error I found the sweat spot and mounted the old LNB. It's not perfect but a hose clamp and a bit of bailing wire did the trick.

dualLNBback.jpg

dualLNBside1.jpg

dualLNBside2.jpg

Turned out to be a fun project and I learned a lot.

Later, DC

My first multi lnb setup was to add 82 to my sub for 91. It was on a 24" Bell dish and I used a couple shims made for installing doors and windows, along with electrical tape to hold it all together.

Nobody ever seems to use RedGreens favorite duct tape. I've seen everything else from hoseclamps, wire, zip ties, conduit straping, all the way to custom welded brackets that look OEM. I want to see some duct tape.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)