Old Voom Receiver

minerfed

Original poster
Jan 30, 2017
Nokomis, Il. 62075
I have an old Voom receiver that I used back when the satellite was active. I would like to know if the ota tuner on the voom box could be used along with LG HDTV. I would run the antenna coax to the voom box then out to the tv. Also, back in the day when Voom was active I had a Channel Master 4228 antenna, is that still a good choice? Sorry if I'm in the wrong area, I am new.

High quality HD programs in that network, early in the shift to digital TV. Dish signed a contract at high dollar for the content. It was great, at least for a while. Then little new material came out. Some versions of the story said Dish slowed the production. Some say they tried to increase profits. Dish claimed breach of contract, dropped them and stopped paying. Lawsuit. Voom shutdown. Charlie lost the suit and paid.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
21 High quality HD channels in that network, early in the shift to digital TV. Used to be independent. Dish signed a contract at high dollar for the content. It was great, at least for a while. Then little new material came out. Some versions of the story said Dish slowed the production. Some say they tried to increase profits. Dish claimed breach of contract, dropped them and stopped paying. Lawsuit. Voom shutdown. Charlie lost the suit and paid.

High quality HD programs in that network, early in the shift to digital TV. Dish signed a contract at high dollar for the content. It was great, at least for a while. Then little new material came out. Some versions of the story said Dish slowed the production. Some say they tried to increase profits. Dish claimed breach of contract, dropped them and stopped paying. Lawsuit. Voom shutdown. Charlie lost the suit and paid.

Thanks. When was it in service?

Voom was a good idea but it was poorly thought out from the start. Obviously HD was going to end up replacing SD, not being an add-on of different content.

It would've been more successful had it been owned and managed by either DirecTV or Dish. The idea was an "HD only" TV service which only had legs for as long as existing channels were SD only, and they were never going to beat DirecTV or Dish on regular programming pricing

Had it early on when HD pickens were slim. Liked it a lot. Still have a couple of receivers that I don't know what to do with. The dish is still on my roof. Makes a nice conversation piece.

The Voom box was active when the satellite shut down. It is still good, I tried it the other day. My LG has a tuner. I guess there would be no benefit using it along with the TV tuner? Any thoughts on the Channel Master 4228 antenna? I don't trust all the reviews you read on Amazon.

The Voom box was active when the satellite shut down. It is still good, I tried it the other day. My LG has a tuner. I guess there would be no benefit using it along with the TV tuner? Any thoughts on the Channel Master 4228 antenna? I don't trust all the reviews you read on Amazon.
You probably have an original 4228 if it is from the VOOM time frame. The new 4228 isn't as good for VHF reception but both versions are good for UHF channels. You probably should go to www.tvfool.com and see what channels are being used in you DMA.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Unfortunately the old 4228 was destroyed in a garage fire. I still have the CM rotor and pre amp along with the power supply. What should the voltage be coming from the power supply? There is one station, RF13 WCIX here in central Illinois that is about 38 miles from me that TVFool says I should get, but so far I have'nt had any success. I have a cheap Chinese antenna inside that is powered and rotates that picks up all the other stations pretty well suprisingly. I have ordered the new version of the 4228 and will be mounting it on my chimney approximately 25' up. If it doesn't work to pick up HiV13, what antenna should I try next? Has anyone used the Marathon antenna made by Free Signal? It's highly rated.

Unfortunately the old 4228 was destroyed in a garage fire. I still have the CM rotor and pre amp along with the power supply. What should the voltage be coming from the power supply? There is one station, RF13 WCIX here in central Illinois that is about 38 miles from me that TVFool says I should get, but so far I have'nt had any success. I have a cheap Chinese antenna inside that is powered and rotates that picks up all the other stations pretty well suprisingly. I have ordered the new version of the 4228 and will be mounting it on my chimney approximately 25' up. If it doesn't work to pick up HiV13, what antenna should I try next? Has anyone used the Marathon antenna made by Free Signal? It's highly rated.

Ahh, our forum favorite! The "Cheap Chinese 150 mile antenna!" ;)

Thanks for the views on the chinese antenna. Does anyone have any experience with a Marathon antenna by Free signal? I have one HiV channel I would like to get. Not sure if the CM 4228 will get it.

Thanks for the views on the chinese antenna. Does anyone have any experience with a Marathon antenna by Free signal? I have one HiV channel I would like to get. Not sure if the CM 4228 will get it.
Googling Marathon Antenna brought up another piece of Chinese junk. If the 4228 won't work you need a lot more antenna than the Marathon. There are a few brands of TV antenna that have been around for over 50 years, why? Because they have a reputation for working. Of course due to marketing Winegard and Channel Master have produced small cute antennas for milenials but most have disclaimers that they are good for 25 miles etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts