OLED AND DISH PICTURE QUALITY

Your picture quality is more dependant on how well your TV upscales no matter what type of display panel it has.
This is true.

That said, I do see a fairly significant difference when I go from my OLeD to the Led sets of the same brands I also have on nearly all sources.

If I were replacing any of those sets, I’d go OLeD.

I have a 65" LG smart tv that is about 4 years old. Can you really see a significant difference in the picture between the OLED models and the older LG smart tvs.

This is a good topic for those of us who are either shopping right now or learning about OLED tvs. My 70 inch Vizio (purchased in 2013 November) has started whispering "I am on my way out, Go get OLED!!"

I am doing my search regarding new tvs. I am not quite sure about few things. Any opinion is welcome here.

True or False:

OLED tv's won't last as long compared to LCD's.

OLED burn-in (or permanent image retention) could be a problem if you watch the same channel all the time. In my opinion nobody does that.

Dish channels are compressed. The best picture quality is provided by 4K Bluray player playing 4K bluray disk. Those players and disks are expensive.

New technology always worries me. Remember 3D tvs!!

I have found a web site that shows good and bad on OLED. I couldn't tell how old the article is..

This is a good topic for those of us who are either shopping right now or learning about OLED tvs. My 70 inch Vizio (purchased in 2013 November) has started whispering "I am on my way out, Go get OLED!!"

I am doing my search regarding new tvs. I am not quite sure about few things. Any opinion is welcome here.

True or False:

OLED burn-in (or permanent image retention) could be a problem if you watch the same channel all the time. In my opinion nobody does that.

Dish channels are compressed. The best picture quality is provided by 4K Bluray player playing 4K bluray disk. Those players and disks are expensive.

I have found a web site that shows good and bad on OLED. I couldn't tell how old the article is..

I still have a Panasonic plasma so I can't comment on OLED but...
Burn in was a problem with plasma but I've never seen it on mine.
Expensive is relative-look at the price of LP's and a decent turntable.And LP's wear out!(if they are actually played).
My plasma happens to be 3d.I own some 3D Blue rays.It didn't ruin the tv. My opinion is 3D might be more mainstream if you didn't have to wear anything and it didn't darken the movie.Plus some movies actually took care with the 3D while others didn't.
If you want to really go down the research rabbit hole try avs forum. AVS Forum

True or False:

If you watch your TV all day long like me I would suggest not to purchase an OLED TV. My main TV is on about 16 hours per day. Purchased a LG OLED in November 2017, replaced it with a LG LED in March 2019 due to burn-in. I know most folks do not recommend purchasing extra warranty insurance but I am a big believer. Whenever I purchase an expensive TV I get it from Best Buy and also purchase the extra warranty. Best Buy’s TV warranties are pretty good. Saved me twice now thru the years. Best Buy Geek Squad totaled my OLED TV and let me keep it. So I moved it to my bedroom where it only gets one hour daily use when we go to bed. I really don’t notice the burn-in that much but my wife does. Attached are some pics of the burn-in on my LG OLED 55C7P-U.

Attachments

• Orange.jpg
    Orange.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Purple.jpg
    Purple.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Red.jpg
    Red.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: Ronnie- and tanman
I have a 65" LG smart tv that is about 4 years old. Can you really see a significant difference in the picture between the OLED models and the older LG smart tvs.
In my experience, yes. The black levels and contrast are what makes them pop in comparison. QLED has great color, and some of the high end sets have decent black levels, but I can see a dramatic difference if I am watching something on my garage OLED, and finish it on my bedroom set. The blacks alone make it worth it. To me.

If you watch your TV all day long like me I would suggest not to purchase an OLED TV. My main TV is on about 16 hours per day. Purchased a LG OLED in November 2017, replaced it with a LG LED in March 2019 due to burn-in. I know most folks do not recommend purchasing extra warranty insurance but I am a big believer. Whenever I purchase an expensive TV I get it from Best Buy and also purchase the extra warranty. Best Buy’s TV warranties are pretty good. Saved me twice now thru the years. Best Buy Geek Squad totaled my OLED TV and let me keep it. So I moved it to my bedroom where it only gets one hour daily use when we go to bed. I really don’t notice the burn-in that much but my wife does. Attached are some pics of the burn-in on my LG OLED 55C7P-U.
I also purchased the insurance when I got my OLED, as a just in case policy.

Having had plasmas in the past that I didnt have burn in with, I doubt I will with OLED either, but I dont leave mine on all day. I dont baby it, I watch like I always did with my LED sets.

I also purchased the insurance when I got my OLED, as a just in case policy.

Having had plasmas in the past that I didnt have burn in with, I doubt I will with OLED either, but I dont leave mine on all day. I dont baby it, I watch like I always did with my LED sets.
When I replaced the OLED got the hi end LG LED at the time. The picture is just as great as the OLED to me. But I am not that picky.

Reactions: budda
I replaced a Samsung LED tv with an LG A1 OLED in the master bedroom and I have to say the increase in contrast does make a big difference, also the processor in the TV makes a big difference too. I noticed banding/posterization on the Samsung that I don't see on the LG.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think that any day-old technology these days is obsoleted. Manufacturers that work their butts off to get a product perfected for the masses have the R&D dept. already working on the next latest-greatest.
Heaven forbid I live long enough to hear about the iPhone XXIV+ Borium Nitride edition.

OLED display life just a few years ago was measured in hours. My friend who was an engineer for the Grand Alliance working out of the 4th floor basement at the NBC building in DC swears by his Samsung OLED.
I was skeptical of them. But every time I stop over for a beer and bs session, his TV looks like the last time I saw it. Amazing.
And I mean I look for any defects or screen artifacts. I can't see any at all. So they must have done a good job.

I prefer Sony. They've been good for me. I never had one simply die. Opinions differ. I'm still old school with a 3 year old LED 930E. Still love it like the dickens.

Raw video, rebroadcast, Blu-ray, VHS. You can only get the quality that went into the source or what the source can provide. If I really look for a difference in 720 vs 1080 I guess I can see it. Streaming 4k certainly is discernible.
Hence the war on vinyl versus digital.

High def isn't going to be shut off cold like they did to NTSC. And my cable company/ISP provider doesn't even supply DVR's or cable converters to people any more. Everything is sent to you by Roku or Fire devices.

FYI. I don't nor have ever subbed to any of the small dish providers. I cut the cord almost 10 years ago. But I enjoy my resurrected BUD setup a lot. I guess I'll always look at the big guys as an up/down/up/down service.
Unless they are going up/down using fiber as the source. It's still not straight from the studio to you.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)

Latest posts