OLED DISH Burn In

Burn-in on OLEDS is not covered by any warranty that I'm aware of. I hate to put it this way, but my wife has been known to pause the screens for hours without my knowledge, and had caused this issue for me. I can tell her all the time to make sure it not paused on BRIGHT images to no avail. However, mine was an LED tv set, and I was able to eventually clear it with a pixel fixer program run from my pc. On the older OLEDS, they burn in like plasmas used to, and true burn in is permanent. Newer OLEDS have controls that cause a rotating screen thing that helps keep burn in from happening in the first place.

That all doesn't help you right now, but keep this all in mind for the future.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Burn-in on OLEDS is not covered by any warranty that I'm aware of. I hate to put it this way, but my wife has been known to pause the screens for hours without my knowledge, and had caused this issue for me. I can tell her all the time to make sure it not paused on BRIGHT images to no avail. However, mine was an LED tv set, and I was able to eventually clear it with a pixel fixer program run from my pc. On the older OLEDS, they burn in like plasmas used to, and true burn in is permanent. Newer OLEDS have controls that cause a rotating screen thing that helps keep burn in from happening in the first place.

I am here 24/7. Wife still works. When she is home, we always watch TV together and I have to operate the remote control. We are hardly in the guide and the DVR listing. The local Best Buy looked up my policy and then gave me another number to call, national geek squad I guess. I am on hold right now awaiting the next CSR. Wish me luck, time will tell.

Well, finally got thru. Described the issue to the Geek Squad rep. Appointment is Tuesday 12-4 PM. Will see what happens and report back.

Reactions: Tampa8
Yep, wife says that is it. Same dish that shows in the guide. We hardly ever use the guide. When we do it is not there long.

Then I would say the TV is prone to retention of certain images. Not how long the image is displayed but how often in the same spot. When they look at it I would show them it is coming from the guide and it isn't acceptable to get retention/burn in from simply using a guide for a minute or two. I wonder if other images are there you aren't seeing yet.

Then I would say the TV is prone to retention of certain images. Not how long the image is displayed but how often in the same spot. When they look at it I would show them it is coming from the guide and it isn't acceptable to get retention/burn in from simply using a guide for a minute or two. I wonder if other images are there you aren't seeing yet.
Well, the wife sees more. She sees horizontal wide bar along the bottom. Also on the right side she sees like the mute symbol but no little speaker in it.

Well, the wife sees more. She sees horizontal wide bar along the bottom. Also on the right side she sees like the mute symbol but no little speaker in it.

That's why I brought it up, if the DISH logo is there no doubt other things are.
If you watch ESPN or a channels with the ticker at the bottom that could be that horizontal bar at the bottom. Early LCD TV's that were prone to burn in were known for that being the first burn in. It just isn't acceptable to buy a new TV now and get retention or burn in that easily.

That's why I brought it up, if the DISH logo is there no doubt other things are.
If you watch ESPN or a channels with the ticker at the bottom that could be that horizontal bar at the bottom. Early LCD TV's that were prone to burn in were known for that being the first burn in. It just isn't acceptable to buy a new TV now and get retention or burn in that easily.
We never watch ESPN. I don't know of anything we watch that has a bottom horizontal bar at the bottom. I hear ya. Very unacceptable to have retention or burn in this easily.

Mrs. Volts has a news channel on all day and tends to pause our LG OLED for long periods too. Put an orange screen up and you can clearly read "Breaking News" among other things. Luckily there were a couple of really bad splotches that had developed that didn't correspond to any TV pattern and we just, today, got a new panel installed under the Warrantech extended warranty. I see two issues here: modern screens should not burn in this easily and Dish really needs to have a screensaver during long pauses (Direct and some cable systems do). Now to try to educate the wife. :hiding

I expect that I'll need to check on my 55" C8 panel before long. My son uses it more than I do, but at least he doesn't pause the screen.

I did activate the Pixel Orbit and I tried the Screen Bug intensity reduction but didn't notice much change in the channel logo. I guess that means leave it on Max, huh?

Weird thing is it is not covered by LG warranty.
They can't realistically cover something that is a known problem with the technology. If LG were to enforce a changing of a static image somehow, people would scream bloody murder as maybe that's what the bought the TV to do.

They could do a much better job about educating customers but that only goes so far when some customers simply can't be bothered by such things; instead insisting that it can't be user error that the TV is damaged. FUD is another result of admitting their can be life-shortening consequences of not being fairly careful.

OLED (and plasma before it) is somewhat high maintenance (though not as bad as it used to be) and if your household collectively doesn't have the discipline required to deal with it, you should probably avoid the technology. You'll save a ridiculous amount of money as a side benefit.

Is there a way to make the TV screen one color? I am looking for all yellow or purple. It seems like there is a way to make it all white but forgot where I read about it long time ago.

I had never heard of OLED burnin. I knew that plasma TV had burnin. Makes me very happy that I did not go with an OLED TV. I often pause my Dish Hopper3 for up to an hour while watching a program when I receive a phone call. I am very happy with the picture quality of my Sony XBR-65X900E and I don’t have to worry about burnin. Along with the price difference, that is a big reason to not go with an OLED TV.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Is there a way to make the TV screen one color? I am looking for all yellow or purple. It seems like there is a way to make it all white but forgot where I read about it long time ago.
You could create a single color picture using a paint program and use a media player (internal or external to the TV to show the picture.

If that's above your skill level, there's this web page that offers such images:

Solid Color Backgrounds

If you're looking to convert your TV to monochrome, asking in a TV-specific forum on AVSForum is probably your best shot.

You could create a single color picture using a paint program and use a media player (internal or external to the TV to show the picture.

If that's above your skill level, there's this web page that offers such images:

Solid Color Backgrounds

If you're looking to convert your TV to monochrome, asking in a TV-specific forum on AVSForum is probably your best shot.

Thanks harshness. This burn in is really noticeable with a red screen. I stopped a program in a red section and took the attached pics. It shows the burn in a little better. Upper left corner definitely says dish. Right hand side is three OLED mute symbols without the little speaker in it. Not sure yet what the bottom horizontal bar is yet.

Attachments

• OLED Burn In.jpg
    OLED Burn In.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 245
  • OLED Burn In-1.jpg
    OLED Burn In-1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 260
  • OLED Burn In-2.jpg
    OLED Burn In-2.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 243
Thanks harshness. This burn in is really noticeable with a red screen. I stopped a program in a red section and took the attached pics. It shows the burn in a little better. Upper left corner definitely says dish. Right hand side is three OLED mute symbols without the little speaker in it. Not sure yet what the bottom horizontal bar is yet.

That's nasty! Now besides the extremely high price, I have another reason to avoid ever buying an OLED tv set.

Is that horizontal bar where the dish pause status bar is? Looks kinda like it? If not, does the volume bar show when the tv is muted too?