Once you hear HD)) AM Or FM You will never go back to normal AM/FM

DJ Rob said:
Read your posts HDTVFanAtic...You were the one bragging and stating your status for whatever reason.

I just wanted to talk about the subject of the thread and stated over and over IT DIDN'T MATTER what experience you had to discuss this stuff.

You turned it into personal attacks with boldface lies about me, people I worked with and were bragging you knew everything and everyone when I found out this week you do not. You still never answered what radio company you owned and what stations you had managed. Lying Jerk. Get a life.

There you go again.

Show me the quote where I claimed to own a radio company or which ones I claimed to manage?

And if you found out all about me, perhaps you would like to share facts here to prove it - or are you - as Goalie Bob can relate to - just another wannabe who claims to have won the medal of honor only to be found out to be a liar.

Guys - please dont get banned, just agree to disagree and move on. GB was nice to give a warning; your opinions would be missed just by getting banned from returning to all the other board threads over something so silly here. Maybe closing the thread wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Come on folks! Chill!!!!

I have a question.

Has anybody seen or heard of an HD)) Radio Headset yet?

I think that would be the coolest thing to have.

Norman

Finally got a chance to get out on the road and play with some HD Radio.

Drove this morning from Phoenix to LA and was able to listen to an HD 2 signal for nearly 100 miles before it died off. Was nice to listen and not have commercials... 100 miles later.. . XM it was.

Sam

Quite honestly, I am shocked you could listen for 100 miles. For truck drivers that drive cross country and the like, that is and will be satellite radio's niche.

As for for headsets, you are a long way off. They need to get 2nd (heck 1st) generation sets up and working properly - thus far delay after delay.

The biggest problem for any service, satellite or HD Radio, is battery life in the portables as digital conversion takes a huge hit on battery life.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Quite honestly, I am shocked you could listen for 100 miles.

Me too, I thought it was limited to a range of like 12 miles; or is that just for now? Any links?

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Me too, I thought it was limited to a range of like 12 miles; or is that just for now? Any links?

Real world testing with the current set of receivers show the 70dbu signal is about all that is usable.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Quite honestly, I am shocked you could listen for 100 miles.

I was also... however it was the desert and there was nothing between me and the towers for miles. I could see the mtn where the towers are in my rear view.. and I checked the trip odometer when it started to fade and it was 96.4 miles.

Yes, that is one of the benefits of living out in the west. Transmitters on mountain tops 5,000 or 6,000 ft above sea level tend to have a very large coverage area. There are a number of people living in the San Diego area and Santa Barbara area that regularly watch TV stations transmitted from Mt. Wilson or listen to LA radio stations. I am not sure what the 70dbu contour is for those full power stations, but I bet it extends well outside of the metro LA area.

Does anyone have any real-world experience with HD Radio in the LA market? How far away from transmitters can you be before you lose the HD program?

Driving through LA on my way home the HD reception was more spotty than I had thought.. on the 10 coming into Ontario I couldn't receive HD and on the 210 it was in and out. Hard to give you a better indicator than that. I'm not that familiar with the eastern part of Metro. I know I couldn't receive HD in Newhall which I thought surprising.

Sam

dlsnyder said:
Yes, that is one of the benefits of living out in the west. Transmitters on mountain tops 5,000 or 6,000 ft above sea level tend to have a very large coverage area. There are a number of people living in the San Diego area and Santa Barbara area that regularly watch TV stations transmitted from Mt. Wilson or listen to LA radio stations. I am not sure what the 70dbu contour is for those full power stations, but I bet it extends well outside of the metro LA area.

Does anyone have any real-world experience with HD Radio in the LA market? How far away from transmitters can you be before you lose the HD program?

Actually it's just the curvature of Southern California with Mt. Wilson having a clear shot out through the coast and over the water.

On the other hand, Malibu is shaded from Mt. Wilson and can only pick up San Diego Stations (at least down at sea level).

HD)) Radio is great!! Let all of the ney sayers have thier say.

Sir Norman

Here outside of Boston, I get dropouts on about 50% of the stations HD2 signals

We have no HD3's up here, but I think the signals are just on the border to receive them. And I only live 15 miles from downtown Boston

Long Range FM Antenna

Has anybody found a good LONG range FM antenna that does not cost a part of your body?

Sir Norman

Other then the one Chicken Shack sold, probably Google for one. An long-range TV aerial will also work as that's what I used for my HDT-1 (that I got for my b-day) when I had it hooked up for a few weeks.

Has anybody found a good LONG range FM antenna that does not cost a part of your body?

Sir Norman

Other then the one Chicken Shack sold, probably Google for one. An long-range TV aerial will also work as that's what I used for my HDT-1 (that I got for my b-day) when I had it hooked up for a few weeks.

How do you like the HDT-1?

It's ok. It was hooked up to my reciever temporary when the reciever's MW section was having issues. Analogue still sounds better then the digital version. Forget MW as most AM stations like you're listening to tin cans. I have since moved the box into the game room hooked up to a DJ mixer.

Lately some stations in our area has dropped IBOC (or HD subchannels) due to issues they're having with Ibiquity, the sole owner/supplier of the HD system.

How do you like the HDT-1?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)