Once you hear HD)) AM Or FM You will never go back to normal AM/FM

norman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
Once you hear HD)) AM Or FM You will never go back to normal AM/FM! I have heard both.

IT IS THE FUTURE OF RADIO!!!!

Norman KB4TXT

I have heard HD radio and on the FM side it wasn't better then normal FM. The 3 stations here that offer it multicast (like on digital TV stations) and the multiple streams makes the main channel sound like Real Audio. AM was a little improvement though.

The downside is people with analogue hear a "hash" sound on carriers that program HD signals.

KimmiKat said:
I have heard HD radio and on the FM side it wasn't better then normal FM. The 3 stations here that offer it multicast (like on digital TV stations) and the multiple streams makes the main channel sound like Real Audio. AM was a little improvement though.

The downside is people with analogue hear a "hash" sound on carriers that program HD signals.

This is what I worry about. I've yet to hear any HD, but all this talk about subchannels and the like makes me worry that they'll have the audio quality of Windows Media at 32 or 64k -- something no one would listen to for a long time in their car, and by no means an improvement over current radio.

When people start to brag about "digital quality," I start to worry. I work with "digital quality audio" daily at work, and if it's done right it sounds good. If it's done poorly, it sounds like crap.

KimmiKat said:

Could be they are hearing the switching back and forth between analog and digital. When the radio loses the digital it auto tunes to analog. If you live in a normally rough area for radio reception this could be a problem.

You'd hear the digital hashing that way.

Most car HD Radios have a setting you can choose digital only analog only or auto so you can kind of work around that.

Sam

DiscoLoveGrapes said:
This is what I worry about. I've yet to hear any HD, but all this talk about subchannels and the like makes me worry that they'll have the audio quality of Windows Media at 32 or 64k -- something no one would listen to for a long time in their car, and by no means an improvement over current radio.

When people start to brag about "digital quality," I start to worry. I work with "digital quality audio" daily at work, and if it's done right it sounds good. If it's done poorly, it sounds like crap.

If I remember correctly the IBOC system has 96 kilbits to work with after the original signal is sent out in band digital. That can be divided any way the broadcaster wants so there could be a 64k music channel and a 32k talk channel or a complete 96k secondary channel.

Sam

Why is there so little hardware support for this format??
I know of only a few stores that carry anything!!
Cruthfield and Tweeter, and there offering is very limited.

rcbridge said:
Why is there so little hardware support for this format??
I know of only a few stores that carry anything!!
Cruthfield and Tweeter, and there offering is very limited.

Demand vs supply? Prices are finally coming down to a reasonable level for mobile
equipment.

The first HD table radio was 499.00 it's now down to 299.00.

Once enhusiasts start to buy and word spreads more units will sell and costs per unit will come down making them mainstream. More companies will jump in and make more units.

Remember TIVO? It was close to 500.00 when it debuted. Now , depending on the plan you choose, they're relatively inexpensive.

Sam

Demand vs supply? Prices are finally coming down to a reasonable level for mobile equipment.

The first HD table radio was 499.00 it's now down to 299.00.

I am not overly worried about prices (within reason) but just the availability of any hardware, I would like to purchase a separate tuner for my home stereo but the only one I have read about is a $2K purchase.

Rotel is supposed to have something out this summer but there just isn't much else!!

rcbridge said:
I am not overly worried about prices (within reason) but just the availability of any hardware, I would like to purchase a separate tuner for my home stereo but the only one I have read about is a $2K purchase.

Rotel is supposed to have something out this summer but there just isn't much else!!

I read somewhere that Kenwood has an external tuner coming out also. In the 400 dollar range. It'll hook up via optical cabling. I'll try and find the link again and post it back.

Sam

Shawn95GT said:
I think I'm going to hold out for the Sirius / XM flavor.

HD Radio + content = a winner. :cool: .

Yamaha is already out with their external tuners

and Pioneer has an xm hd radio built into one of their 7.1 receiver
so less expensive ones are on the way.

Sam

Eventually I think I might get this but again that's eventually... From what I understand the FM doesn't sound that much better but the AM does...however AM near me is generally talk which comes in good.

My main issues would be if one could still DX on this like normal radio....for FM I can get a PBS station a state away (not that big of a deal but the NPR features a show I can't get locally) but on AM I get plenty of content from NYC, DC, Chicago and canada...night time is when high powered stations go high power.

Also what about low powered stations? There's a reading service for the blind I sometimes listen to (the read the newspapers for you for free!)

Also with shortwave there is the DAB concept coming down the line....

Overall I think with analog there still is decent radio on the air but it isn't nearly as easy to find as it used to be...

AM stations are required by law to turn off IBOC at night. There's too much interference from the digital subcarrier and with AM propagation at night the FCC was too concerned with splatter.

Most HD Radio's have Auto, Digital and Analog settings so they give you some flexability.

At some point low powers will use IBOC also. They can run multiple channels like the big boys and serve the local market they're interested in.

Sam

In theory, HD Radio may reduce the "need" to DX to hear certain shows/formats. Well managed stations will use HD to add channels carrying formats not previously available in their area.

As I understand it, most NPR stations will add HD subchannels, which usually will include at least one news/talk station carrying either shows not heard before, or shows that the main schedule "buries" in bad timeslots that will be heard at more convenient times on HD.

Once I hear HD, will I quit my subscription to XM?
Will I get the XM variety of programing or the same
5 FM formats?

Birkoff

you will probably hear the same variety of music you hear now. However, with digital there is more room for expansion. If you live out in the boonies and only get FM stations off repeaters you may have to wait a bit longer for HD stations.

birkoff said:
Once I hear HD, will I quit my subscription to XM?

Doubtful. 3 or maybe 4 channels is the most the bandwidth could handle on one frequency.

birkoff said:
Will I get the XM variety of programing or the same
5 FM formats?

It depends on the broadcasters in your area. If you look here http://hdradio.com/hd_digital_radio_format_list.php
you'll see what formats have been planned for the area you're in.
It'll give you a decent idea of what HD brings to your table.

Sam

mdovell said:
Eventually I think I might get this but again that's eventually... From what I understand the FM doesn't sound that much better but the AM does...however AM near me is generally talk which comes in good.

My main issues would be if one could still DX on this like normal radio....for FM I can get a PBS station a state away (not that big of a deal but the NPR features a show I can't get locally) but on AM I get plenty of content from NYC, DC, Chicago and canada...night time is when high powered stations go high power.

Also what about low powered stations? There's a reading service for the blind I sometimes listen to (the read the newspapers for you for free!)

Also with shortwave there is the DAB concept coming down the line....

Overall I think with analog there still is decent radio on the air but it isn't nearly as easy to find as it used to be...

The digital standard used on international shortwave, as well as on AM in Europe, is called DRM. It is an open standard and IBOC (HD Radio) receivers could be made to receive DRM transmissions for a negligible additional cost. It doesn't seem right now that there is any reason to do it though. Unless you are on the east coast at night, DRM transmissions to North America are few and far between.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)