One change you'd make to the D* receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Uuuuh, NO! Last I checked, the 722 didn't do anything remotely similar to MRV in HD which is first necessary before one can accommodate my number one wish feature:

Complete system load sharing such that all turners are shared between DVRs/receivers and all hard drives are shared between all DVRs/receivers such that from an operator's standpoint, it is just one very capable DVR. That would be damned cool. Need a couple more tuners? Just add another box and the system figures it all out! I know that's a lot to ask for though and don't expect it.

Now for the second wish, this IS something I miss from my days with my 722 and was surprised I couldn't do this on the HR24 because it would be so simple for them to allow this... CUSTOM FOLDERS!!!

I can't leave out the third cause it's something I haven't mentioned before because I didn't notice it at first. In the guide, there's no apparent episode number system like I used to have on Dish. If you record an entire season before watching the first episode, it helps to point out when you've missed an episode due to some sort of recording conflict or system error. I see no way to do that with DirecTV without knowing the original air dates of each episode (which I don't of course).

Episode dates ARE available in the info for each show .... numbers to tell you where they fall in the sequence of shows is not.

I can't leave out the third cause it's something I haven't mentioned before because I didn't notice it at first. In the guide, there's no apparent episode number system like I used to have on Dish. If you record an entire season before watching the first episode, it helps to point out when you've missed an episode due to some sort of recording conflict or system error. I see no way to do that with DirecTV without knowing the original air dates of each episode (which I don't of course).

Episode dates ARE available in the info for each show .... numbers to tell you where they fall in the sequence of shows is not.
Actually Jimbo, you misread what Mr Zulu wrote.. Mr. Z said he misses the episode number system ... ie its not there ... and not many people can remember original air dates beyond a few days from "today".

And I'd agree with that too.. not having episode numbers is a bear when it comes to knowing show sequence.

1. DVR HDD to PC file transfers like the ReplayTV/SonicBlue/DNNA had (DirecTV owns these patents)
2. ATSC tuners built-in on all models again (with scan)
3. Auto-tune timer on all models

Actually Jimbo, you misread what Mr Zulu wrote.. Mr. Z said he misses the episode number system ... ie its not there ... and not many people can remember original air dates beyond a few days from "today".

And I'd agree with that too.. not having episode numbers is a bear when it comes to knowing show sequence.

If you press info on the recording, it does show the episode original air date along with the date that you recorded it. It isnt numbered 1,2,3,ect, but the original air date of the episode is there, so you can keep up with the sequence.

What I mean is, it will tell you if an episode aired originally on july 7 2008 (if you are watching an older series). Then then on the next it will say that it originally aired on July, 14 2008. So you know that is the next one in the series.

IF your referring to the Current year, you can get that info off the programs website, as for ones past the current year, good luck with that, not sure why if it's not the current year you would need it.

For ex. I watch NCIS when nothing else is on, it's been on for many years, I'll usually LOOK to see what year it was, but order of sequence is irrelevant.

If you press info on the recording, it does show the episode original air date along with the date that you recorded it. It isnt numbered 1,2,3,ect, but the original air date of the episode is there, so you can keep up with the sequence.

What I mean is, it will tell you if an episode aired originally on july 7 2008 (if you are watching an older series). Then then on the next it will say that it originally aired on July, 14 2008. So you know that is the next one in the series.

IF your referring to the Current year, you can get that info off the programs website, as for ones past the current year, good luck with that, not sure why if it's not the current year you would need it.

For ex. I watch NCIS when nothing else is on, it's been on for many years, I'll usually LOOK to see what year it was, but order of sequence is irrelevant.

Come on guys, what I wrote wasn't that difficult to understand or even that difficult to understand why I'd want it. I did actually acknowledge that you could see the original air date. I did say it wasn't that useful in knowing sequence unless you actually KNEW the air dates which is not likely if you've recorded several episodes in a series. I know I'm not going to remember 10 original air dates! If the DVR missed a recording, I have no way of knowing unless I looked it up online. And since I don't KNOW that I missed a recording, I DON'T look online.

In all other cases, the info in the Direct guide is FAR superior to Dishnetwork's guide BUT, Dishnetwork is better on this point because they do give a sequencing number with every episode so I would know if the DVR missed a recording. Because if after watching episode number 32, the next one on the DVR was 34, then I knew I was missing episode number 33. I would then know that I needed to look at other options to catch up on a missed show.

SEE, he gets it! Thanks TG2.

I'd love to be able to pick which DVR records things while working on an actual DVR. My one HD receiver box lets me, but I often find that I want to record something on the other DVR for space reasons and have to then go re-find that program on the other box.

I'd love to be able to pick which DVR records things while working on an actual DVR. My one HD receiver box lets me, but I often find that I want to record something on the other DVR for space reasons and have to then go re-find that program on the other box.

Actually, as an alternative or just in general, it would also be nice to physically transfer programs between DVRs.

I don't think you will have that .... the industry doesn't put PIP on many TV's anymore, so if the industry doesn't do it, I doubt that D* would.
TV's dont build it in anymore because all cable and satellite boxes (except for DIRECTV's) have the feature built in.

I would also like to see them enable the ability to control by IR and UHF at the same time...

I like my Slingbox to change the channels but have my DIRECTV HR 24 in a cabinet so I cant control it with the remote until the door is open. if I could turn on UHF mode and IR mode at the same time it would be GREAT! :)

i would like to see a clock built in so i can walk into a room and look at the front of the box and see the time..
Id also like to see the guide color coded like tv shows , sports , and movies... like comcast guide
comcast-tivo-guide.jpg

Can't decide between:

Better application of an external HDD for the DVRs. Use it as a direct extension of the internal or use it as an archive like E*'s *22 setup. Should be as easy as a firmware update, shouldn't it, or is there some kind of patent problem with this?

or

Just integrate OTA into the receiver and add an additional tuner or two for it like Dish

Last edited:
Add WiFi so you do not have to run an Ethernet cable for networking. This will free up an Ethernet port on the router.

You don't need an ethernet cable at each receiver if you have MRV. Just one that connects to the router. If you're running out of ports, adding a network switch doesn't cost that much money.

You don't need an ethernet cable at each receiver if you have MRV. Just one that connects to the router. If you're running out of ports, adding a network switch doesn't cost that much money.
You still need to plug either the DECA or your receiver into an Ethernet port in order to connect to the internet

i would like to see a clock built in so i can walk into a room and look at the front of the box and see the time..
Id also like to see the guide color coded like tv shows , sports , and movies... like comcast guide
comcast-tivo-guide.jpg

D* use to have a color coded guide, technically it was not D* but the supplier of the boxes, Hughes had a box or maybe all Hughes boxes did that ... they are also the place where I first saw a Mini Guide.

As for the clock, IF they did that it would have to be one that runs off the time that D* has, not one that the sub sets or you would have the 12:00 flashing at you again, like the old VCRs.

Actually they DO have a clock in the guide, just not on the front of the units.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)