One local channel's HD channel resembles bad OTA TV reception...

sjvirchow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
My local ABC affiliate, KLKN-TV Channel 8, seems to be having problems lately. Whenever I tune to their HD channel, it resembles a bad OTA TV reception, very spotty. The SD channel is perfectly fine. No other local, or national channels are having problems. Can anybody venture a guess as to why this is the case? Why could only one channel have problems, and all my other channels work perfectly fine?

There's no known issues with the channel on our end. Normally when it's just one channel like this, its an issue between us and the broadcaster. When did this first start? Have you tried doing anything (reset, etc.)?

Hard Reboot to my receiver, and that's it. Where in the line from the broadcaster to Dish does this happen? I work in Information Technology, so I'm fascinated by this stuff. :)

If you know anything about our signal path (and how many steps there are from the broadcaster, to your home), you would know there are a lot of different places this can happen. I don't know where the problem is (or if there is one between us for that matter), but I did escalate the problem for you.

Email dishquality@echostar.com with the channel number (not the remapped number, the channel in the 6400 range.) Give as many details as you can about what you are seeing, what time it happens, etc.

They can help.

I did check the signal strength and looks like its a 55. It was much higher, the other day, close to 85 and that day it was snowing like there was no tomorrow. Practically a blizzard outside.

It looks like the HD channel for KLKN is on the same satellite but different spotbeam. The HD channel is on Spotbeam 05 and has a signal strength of 52. The SD channel is on Spotbeam 27 with a Signal strength of 70........ can this be fixed?

Although it may seem like a big difference, there's not. This isn't a signal issue, so there's not really anything we can "fix". Your signal strengths seem pretty good on all your satellites.

I upgraded to HD in December and have noticed the problems with KLKN HD. I have called numerous times, to tech support, to report the problem. Last night I was fed up and asked to speak to a supervisor. When put on hold I got "disconnected". I called back in, made it to advanced technical support, asked to speak to a supervisor, then got "disconnected". Last month Dish even sent out a tech. First thing he said was, "Nothing I do will resolve the Channel 8 issue". He was very professional. He even switched out my 1k2 dish for a 1k4.

I just want a resolution. Can I contact someone that will get the problem to the right department?

If Dish can't fix it, then why don't they brodcast the other local abc (KHGI) in HD and leave KLKN in SD? I have verified that KHGI is broadcasting an HD signal. In fact DirecTV customer receive both HD ABC stations.

You could try contacting KLKN's Technical/Engineering Department. Their phone # is (402) 436-2275. Maybe if enough people call in, they'll start to do something. The problem has to be somewhere... It's a mystery to me why nobody can figure it out... I also agree that Lincoln's Dish Network tech's are extremely professional! They do a very good job, and are always kind and curious. Sure, DirecTV might get KHGI in HD, but when I had DirecTV they're tech's were nowhere as nice or courteous as Dish's.

If you do contact KLKN (I will do the same), can you post what they tell you? I'm kind of curious.

Thanks for the number. I will call them and let keep you posted. I live in central Nebraska, and noticed the night of Feb 7 when the channel was having issues, that the snow didn't start in Lincoln yet, but had started around Hastings. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I remember someone telling me that Dish uplinks the locals in Hastings. IDK if they have checked that out recently or not. Of course this was a few years ago and Dish could have changed since then. Next time the channel starts to pixelate again, I am going to look at the radar again.

When the tech was out he thought that Dish uplinked in Cheyenne, WY. But he wasn't 100% sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)