One local channel's HD channel resembles bad OTA TV reception...

DirecTV also uplinks in Hastings. Time Warner is located about a mile and a half south of the KLKN studio; also, many large cable providers receive local channels via fiber so Time Warner may not even be relying on over-the-air at all.

My guess is that the blame will be passed back and forth between the two. Matt I appreciate you looking into the matter, but I doubt klkn is going to increase their transmit power and I doubt dish will move their uplink station. I hope dish or klkn proves me wrong.

Dish's uplink station is closer to our other local abc (khgi). I think it would make more sense to broadcast khgi hd (that is if klkn will not increase their power).

Sorry, but I have not. The issue is on the provider's end according to our uplink center. I asked that we have someone contact KLKN to see what was being done to fix the issue, to which I received:

"The problem has been identified and is in the hands of the appropriate people. We should have direction as to the resolution of the problem within the next 2 weeks. Our group is in constant contact with Uplink, so we will be sure to let everyone know when the issue is resolved." -3/31/11

The person who sent this to me also said that they would email me with any updates on the situation.

Incidentally, I just had a family member in Lincoln ask me about this last week. They've taken to just watching channel 13 but commented on the KHGI picture quality being bad and that it's really not local, despite being in the same market. They are within range of KLKN's UHF repeater in Lincoln so I suggested connecting a small indoor antenna to receive it off-air.

Anybody else notice that KLKN has had a "We're sorry for the interruption of service" message in the morning?

Yes I noticed the message this morning and also on KOLN the picture would freeze or signal would completely drop out for a few seconds every so often.

I doubt the problem is with the TV station because most simply supply a HD signal to DISH. Dish outputs both a SD version of that HD signal . If the SD is fine, that means dish is receiveiving, at its local receive point for that station, a good HD signal. That interruption of service message, if from the station and showing the station logo, could be totally unrelated. Dish also shows that message when it has problems with it's receiver or encoding equipment at the local pickup. The local pickup is usually at one tv station with a direct feed from that station and fiber or OTA (mostly OTA) for the others in the market. Since all stations that show any hd are always in that mode (what looks like sd on the hd channel is the sd upconverted with black sides) The SD version that dish shows is "center cut" of the hd signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts