Openbox S10 For Sale On Fleabay?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Ok so this receiver is now showing up on fleabay so has anyone laid down any cash for one yet? Need info but don't want to spend money to see how it is? :D

I do not know about the openbox s 10,since I have the s 9,,,but defenitely cannot compare to yr Azbox,,,,,personally I think the S 9 is a great box for FTA,,,and a great value,,,,of course as mentioned it is not comparable to the Azbox

It really depends for what use you want to put it,,,I know some folks who wants to use this box for P.S. whicjh to me is non sense since the box does not do Turbo 8PSK for ,,,but as for me I use it for FTA only and works great

Cheers and good luck,,

well the specs say its just the S9 but smaller
The Openbox S10 HD is the new little brother to the original Openbox S9 HD. The Openbox S10 comes with all the same features and capabilities as the S9 but with a smaller, more compact design.

It would be funny if this NEW box were a clone of the upcoming Manhattan RS 1933, which also has the same specs as the Openbox s9, but is smaller footprint. I think we'll know in time. Love a mystery ! :)

The S10 that is listed as "tested" is in Katy, Texas and at quite a discount.

Maybe it is close enough to Dee Ann that she can pick that one up! ;)

Katy is a western Houston suburb.

I wonder if the firmware is the same, or if they've improved it in any way... With proper firmware, the Openbox would be a formidable receiver (it is even now, but it is plagued by underdeveloped firmware)...

I wonder if the firmware is the same, or if they've improved it in any way...

the description says its the same firmware. I think its basically a S9 but smaller

Kinda like the Coolsat 6000. Its a 5000 guts in a 4000 cabinet ;)

Katy is a western Houston suburb.

I wonder if the firmware is the same, or if they've improved it in any way... With proper firmware, the Openbox would be a formidable receiver (it is even now, but it is plagued by underdeveloped firmware)...

And this is an issue with ALL these receivers IMHO! Like Opensat building more and more receivers when the crap that they already have sold is still wanting in the firmware dept! Never mind fixing the stuff that needs to be fixed, lets just make another receiver using the same junk firmware and let the suckers buy that one and bitch about it also.

OK, I'm done!

The factory just made a cheaper model by removing extra ports seldom used in NA. Specs are the same as Ice mentioned.

I have been looking for the 2011 twin tuner model. I seen the S10. It doesn't have the scart and it is not the same firmware...not from the looks of it...Menu icons lined up across the top....not down the side.

Wholesale Free shipping!! New Selling 2011 OPENBOX S10 HD pvr! S10 HD PVR Receiver! Cccamd Newcamd MGcamd cardsharing

Forgot to mention in the link I posted it has a different remote than the ones on ebay. And it looks like a 12v 50 mA out?

And the confusion continues...and I bet it don't have the green tint. But then again it wouldn't be hard to change the UI without changing the actual decoding/display/ output sections of the code.

Last edited:
If someone buys one let us know if the closed captions work on this receiver?

If you're talking about Line 21 CCs through the SD outputs... I doubt it. From my experience, once a company starts down the road without CCs, they never get around to adding them. Even though this is a model change, I wouldn't expect the basic functions to be much different than the S9. I hope I'm wrong & this is a completely different design.

Funny thing is, all these boxes will record CCs, they're included in the stream. But not all will pass them to the TV. You can verify this by recording a snippet and running it through CCExtractor on your PC. They're there.

Luckily, I mainly use my S9 for finding TPs for my HTPC. Otherwise, the lack of CCs would knock it out of the living room. My Pansat 5000HC is still waiting (in storage) for CCs, lol.

Cheers

The factory just made a cheaper model by removing extra ports seldom used in NA. Specs are the same as Ice mentioned.

I saw the back of one on Ebay and it has no component option. Just a set of A/V (red/white/yellow) and HDMI. The S9 had them. Not good

Iceberg said:
I saw the back of one on Ebay and it has no component option. Just a set of A/V (red/white/yellow) and HDMI. The S9 had them. Not good

The options should be component or HDMI. The red/white/yellow is quickly going the way of the dinosaur. Omitting those would be acceptable to me but component should remain.

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Here is the back from a couple different Ebay auctions

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 489
No component output, but that is ok with me since I prefer to use HDMI for a digital HD output rather than an analog HD output. Plus I like the upgrade to the graphics, remote control, size of the box and lower cost. I'm buying one tonight!

one lizards opinion

The link Yankee lists above, has all the pix even -I- could ask for! :up
Inside, outside, front, rear, remote, et al.

Notice down at the bottom of that page, they'll also sell you the S9 in 20-lots for about half the current retail price.
So, this site is obviously for dealers.
I caught that the moment I landed there.

A single receiver on eBay could be several things...
- a dealer's sample that he decided not to carry (didn't work well, no funding, etc.)
- a potential dealer trying the water, though maybe not making any money.
- an agent for the asian seller, to test the water
- some guy like one of us who got one and found too many bugs, and wants his money back

If you recall, the model sold by Sadoun last year, took a little while to mature.
Maybe this receiver will, too (?)
I can't help but wonder if the manufacturer will squeeze more money out of anyone who fancies themself a dealer, to make region-specific changes to the firmware. ;)

As mentioned, there's nothing wrong with the SSO right now, that a firmware enema couldn't fix.
Why do we need a smaller box that (potentially) works no better?
And if its missing the component output (and the expense of the SCART outputs), don't you think it should cost less?
I believe (guess?) this is a cost-reduced version of a receiver that's popular enough to do that for.
So eventually, it should -sell- for less than the SSO, too.

edit:
also, as soon as enough people are hooked, and start talking about the receiver, the 1-pc price will disappear, and only actual dealers will be able to buy the 10-lot or 20-lot offerings.

Well, many CN located dealers buy from the factory direct and then sell to NA buyers via EBay or similar Asian outlets. Delivery cost from CN & HK is compatible to US delivery in many cases, and total is often a lot less then cleared products sold by US outlets. The drawback is practical lack of support and warranty due to high return cost, delays, and denials or ignorance. For example, on EBay one can leave feedback or file a claim over a narrow time frame after purchase. Once that window has closed, you're on your own (unless with purchased 3-d party EBay warranty): no chance to complain - no seller's responsibility. But warranty is seldom required during 1-st year, and support (often more qualified) is provided by forums. So its a common trend now to move to cheaper direct delivery model. Note that CN and HK governments set special postal rates & measures to facilitate direct trade & eliminate shipments theft.

The availability of direct buy often vanishes under pressure of large NA distributors, placing orders under conditions of no direct sale from CN. But its very hard to control small CN dealers. :) Another way to regulate this is via Customs Tariffs, but they tend to be less "protective" lately to stabilize currency from inflation, delivering "local lifestyle dream" for less, which is kind of important when so many people are still out of work. So the whole thing is more complex then just buyer - seller random interaction. It just reflects the trends of a new product delivery model and new sourcing regions. I wouldn't be surprised to see India soon on a familiar supplier list.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)