Openbox S10 just died

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Lots of choices out there. My vote is for the MicroHD. It's not perfect, but other than how certain menus are displayed, to me it has a similar feel to the s10. They both use the same ALI processor if I'm not mistaken. Plus, it's extremely lightweight and smaller :)

One thing I didnt like about the S10 is the lack to editing PID's without using an editor on the computer. From what I have seen, its a toss up between the Micro and the Manhattan.

Biggest is the speed/accuracy of blind scanning but perfer one that you can edit PID/AID's on channels. AAC audio a plus along with S2

Need to sit down and look now

should of said aid's for 103, but thats not too important. gotten spoiled on it on the old satworks receiver.

looks like ill be placing an order for the microhd tonight

It receives power, but when you try to change satellites it reboots. Same thing when trying to move the motor. Went in and disabled all motor commands and it still reboots when trying to change a satellite, either from the remote or front panel.
Staying on a channel it is fine. Was on 103 when it happened which is a stand alone dish, so no motor movement was occuring. No longer receives anything at all so I dont know if its on the power supply board that roasted or one of the other boards. Its all apart and so far I havent seen any scorched components yet.

Cant recall what part of the receiver the smoke was coming from. Smelt something and just happen to see it when it started. Was too busy killing the power to it to pay enough attention but I do know it was from the back. Only 2 years old too

EDIT - ordered a MicroHD, should be here mid-late week

Don't forget about the Amiko nano.

RS-1933
Micro
Amiko Nano

It receives power, but when you try to change satellites it reboots. Same thing when trying to move the motor. Went in and disabled all motor commands and it still reboots when trying to change a satellite, either from the remote or front panel.
Staying on a channel it is fine. Was on 103 when it happened which is a stand alone dish, so no motor movement was occuring. No longer receives anything at all so I dont know if its on the power supply board that roasted or one of the other boards. Its all apart and so far I havent seen any scorched components yet.

Cant recall what part of the receiver the smoke was coming from. Smelt something and just happen to see it when it started. Was too busy killing the power to it to pay enough attention but I do know it was from the back. Only 2 years old too

EDIT - ordered a MicroHD, should be here mid-late week

do a research, this problem is caused by a dead power supply. You can replace it with a brand new one for less than $20

I was thinking about that on the way home today when I remembered others having problems with the PS also when it came to being underpowered, etc. If its just a few components, I can just get them from mouser and resolder them in

Thanks for the links. Will be ordering the chips and also some capacitors. The large one by the chip is extremely hot, not sure if thats part of the issue or not but 5 for 2.80 better get it just in case

Finally got around to putting in the new power supply.

It did come with the 4841 chip. This does move the motor, but you can see the display on the receiver blink dim when the motor starts and stops which shows its just barely getting enough current to move. I enjoy the microHD more so the S10 will be a backup receiver now.

I also seen what else to look for when the S10 goes down......

Mine didnt fail because of the IC chip, the power supply board died because of a blown capacitor, C4 to be exact. I didnt find this out until later. It was slightly bulged on top but when it was removed from the board the bottom of the capacitor was roasted. This is what let out the smoke and caused the receiver to reboot when trying to move the dish

Before testing anything, make sure the little tuner board has all its pins seated properly into the main board. That would of saved me a lot of headache of "why is this thing still not working" and a lot of 4 lettered words

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)