Openbox S9 brokenbox out of the box?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I just got my Openbox but when I hooked it up and turned it on I can get the menu and it is scrolling and has a purplish/pink tint to it and then all of the sudden the menu disappears and I have no signal into my tv. Could this be a setting issue or is my Openbox a brokenbox? I am not impressed with the Chinese plug. It was shipped with an adapter. I tried using the composite hookup and the HDMI hookup.

Mine came set from factory in HDMI. My main TV is HDTV but do not have a HDMI connector. Its a DVI. First, get your self some duct tape and wrapped around the power connector and the plug so they can keep together. Then, get a HDTV with a HDMI connector . Turn the box on and change the output either HDMI or Component (your choice). Turn the box off and move it to the right place and begin your configuration process. If nothing of this work, then press the v-format until you get some video (DO NOT PRESS THIS BUTTON UNLESS ITS EXTREMELLY NECESSARY) Once you figure it out make sure you find a way to get rid of this button or his function (some are opening the remote and adding a piece of tape below) I added a drop or two of clear silicone with a toothpick around to sealed it. Don't be dissapointed, once you find the way to do the configuration you will find the Openbox is great. Good Luck!!

RE: European power plug? I cut mine off and went to the local hardware store and got an American plug for mine. Put that on so there's no adapter crap taking up space and hanging off my power strip.

I'm currently using the composite input but have to turn the green tint in the TV settings all the way off.

Mine came set from factory in HDMI. My main TV is HDTV but do not have a HDMI connector. Its a DVI. First, get your self some duct tape and wrapped around the power connector and the plug so they can keep together. Then, get a HDTV with a HDMI connector . Turn the box on and change the output either HDMI or Component (your choice). Turn the box off and move it to the right place and begin your configuration process. If nothing of this work, then press the v-format until you get some video (DO NOT PRESS THIS BUTTON UNLESS ITS EXTREMELLY NECESSARY) Once you figure it out make sure you find a way to get rid of this button or his function (some are opening the remote and adding a piece of tape below) I added a drop or two of clear silicone with a toothpick around to sealed it. Don't be dissapointed, once you find the way to do the configuration you will find the Openbox is great. Good Luck

What menu lets you change it from component to hdmi? I have several HDMI TV's. It only seems to show a picture on component mode.

OK I just got a glimpse of the resolution screen and it is at 576i. When I press the menu key it seems to make the screen come back up. Is 120$ shipped a good deal for a new one of these?

OK I just got a glimpse of the resolution screen and it is at 576i. When I press the menu key it seems to make the screen come back up. Is 120$ shipped a good deal for a new one of these?

once you figure it out the resolution issue that price is super! You will be more than satisfied with the Openbox performance. Beleive me I have used Sonicview, CaptiveWorks, Coolsat, Viewsat and Pansats!!!

Open Box is a great unit it made for HD TV with HDMI Connector and the price you purchased it for is excellent at first like everything did you RTFM it the most important thing to do before using it so good luck with it I have had mine for about 5 months and its great.

oh by the way RTFM mean Read the F%cking Manuel.... jk take care bro and enjoy

Mr.d

OK I just had to switch tvs and I was able to get a picture. Now I just need to update the satellite list because it does not have any North American satellites listed.

no it has all euro files I don't know if here on site we have a US file update maybe someone can direct to one.

Openbox S9 Installation menu blocked settings

I finally got a picture with my new Openbox receiver but in the installation menu the only options that I am allowed to pick are Antenna & Satellite quick setting and Satellite list. The other options are dim. I added a few satellites but I have no way to scan them.

I finally got a picture with my new Openbox receiver but in the installation menu the only options that I am allowed to pick are Antenna & Satellite quick setting and Satellite list. The other options are dim. I added a few satellites but I have no way to scan them.
From IceBerg......
now my memory is foggy but when I had the opensat/sathawk you have to go into the Sat list and select which Satellites you want to use first...then back out and go into the antenna setup

The antenna setup will only list the sats you selected before..
Hope this Helps !!

Last edited:
did you update the firmware to us if so you will not need to put in most of the sat nor transponders , check the other thread you started a member placed a link for a update..

like all use at your own risk...

Mr.d

ya I updated the satellite list but I can't get a signal now. Shouldn't my motor settings stay the same when switching receivers or will I have to repoint the dish? I figured out you have to highlight the satellite in the list in order for the blind scanning options to show up.

Me recommendation is first put your lat in and log in the proper place if using a motor you have 2 options Disqc or Usal I use Usal and the motor will move automatically but also you will also for your location I use Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com very good little site so you can setup your dish to proper setting and also find your motor manual it will help you setup you motor elevation according to your lat and lon

hope this helps

Mr.d

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)