Oppo BDP-93 Discussion

Whats weird, is the Pio receivers have the Marvell in them (some of them). Im gonna run HDMI 2 to the Denon, and HDMI 1 to the DVDO, on source direct. The DVDO has a random HD Audio bug on it's audio only output, so I want it out of the audio chain.

Depends on the receiver. The 1020 uses the Anchor Bay, and the 1120 uses the Marvell.

S~

Kinda like how Directv goofed using the NXP ship in the 24-500 instead of sticking with Broadcom.

OK, its in, and no lie its a sturdy/heavy unit.

Got my second HDMI run, all I gotta do in the AM is run the power cord, remove the 85, and program the Harmony.

Pamphlet and box for remote, cords, etc...
IMG_2206.jpg

Remote and Wireless adapter
IMG_2207.jpg

Front
IMG_2208.jpg

Bottom (best rubber feet ive seen)
IMG_2209.jpg

Rear
IMG_2210.jpg

Off to drink beer and watch Noles vs Gates now.

I'm happy with my '83. And I think I'm going to have to remain happy with it for a few years. The '93 sounds great, except I'm concerned about one thing. It's profile 5, good, but.....? There are articles that if 3D grows, we'll see titles released on 100GB or 128GB BDs. I did not see anything indicating that this unit can read those formats. So I might as well wait until that shakes out.

Oh, I'm so eager to put on my Dark Side SACD, but I've got company......

It's scary how fast Oppo responds to emails. A bud over at HighDefJunkies emailed them a minute ago about why on the external wireless. They responded within 5 minutes, and explained the metal chassis kept an internal from getting good SS.

Well, got it setup during the first half, and picked options at halftime. Watched a little of I Am Legend, and HD audio went fine out of HDMI 2 to the Denon (lip sync was off, but I read here they are working on it)

PQ was excellent, can't wait to jam a SACD tomorrow, and watch a flick. Also love how pressing the Display button a couple of times shuts off the front display completely. I used the 83 selection on my harmony, and it works fine on the 93, as well as the wireless being easy to setup (much easier than the BD85).

Speed Report

As I did with the BD85 when I got it. These numbers will be vs the 85, to the menu, skipping trailers with next button:

Time from OFF to tray open, by pressing open button when unit is off:

BD85--3
BDP93--4.5

Time to get to where you can select PLAY in final menu, starting with tray open:

Transformers

BD85--75
BDP93--64

BD85--114
BDP93--77

Iron Man

BD85--87
BDP93--53

Player comes with 30 days free BB and NFlix coupons. Was thinking about trying out the Nflix streaming only for 30 days, just to see what kinda stuff is on there, and how it looks. See if it's worth $8/month.

Couple of reports of tray issues, so everyone who buys one should check it.

1) Not reliably opening and closing with eject button on face

2) While unit is on and tray is open, a press of the power button does NOT shut the tray and power the unit down, when it actually should. Report to Oppo.

Update:

Watched Valhalla Rising on Nflix HD streaming, with forced 1080p and NR set to 2. Im very impressed with the PQ, and if Oppo adds Amazon VOD, the Roku is definitely outta here.

Watched my first DVD, picked up the first season of Legend of the Seeker on DVD for cheap. Decided to use 1080p forced again, instead of Source Direct which I use for Blu-ray, with NR set to 2. I was amazed how good the image was, very nice.

My DVDO also has a random bug with HD audio bitstreamed to it, then passed out of it's 2nd HDMI, so I decided to set the Oppo to internally decode everything and output LPCM to my the Duo. Will see how that goes, since there is supposed to be no difference in AQ.

Couple of issues reported to Oppo this AM:

1) Went into the Netflix app, then back out to change a setting, then back in, and the player locked up. This is not uncommon for Netflix, and I had to power cycle

2) "Just wanted to report, when I stuck The Mummy BR in the first time, the Universal Studios "loading" logo popped up, then disappeared, and the player sat there with all zero's showing in it's display. Finally hit eject, then ran the movie back in and it did the same thing again. Third time, I hit stop instead of eject, then play, and it went straight to the movie menu, and played fine."

Last edited:
I had Eclipse Lock the player when I skipped the first preview. Had to totally power cycle the player eject and start fresh.

S~

After reading some complaints, I decided to look for myself. Watching some DVD content, Source Direct and letting the ABT chip in the Duo scale 480i to 1080p, vs the Marvell forced on 1080p, the ABT definitely wins right now. I've seen the comments where they are still working on this, and it does not bother me, just figured I'd offer my observation.

Now whether it means the ABT chip in the 83 is better than the Marvell in the 93, I have no idea.

Just another FYI. There was some question whether the 93 held Color Space and Deep Color settings with Source Direct on, and it they do. If you force Ycbcr 4:4:4 and Deep Color 36 bit, it will output 1080p/24 4:4:4 36 bit on Source Direct, Auto and 1080p.

I output 4:2:2 20 bit (Ycbcr set to 4:2:2 and Deep Color OFF) to the DVDO, since its as native as I can get.

Ok, now that Ive had some time with the player, here are my first complaints, about the remote, which cannot be helped by FW updates
wink.png
:

• The button press that is required is way more than any remote should need, I find sometimes it requires two button presses to get it to light up and send a signal to the player. No reason you should have to press a button that hard, unless it's designed to let the kid teeth on during the flick.
  • The weight of the remote. Look, sometimes well built doesn't mean heavy people. I dunno whether to set it aside to beat my wife (I kid), or take it to the park for batting practice.
  • The looks. I keep waiting for the manager of the local roach motel to show up and ask me where his remote is for room 110. It's FUGLY, looks like it shoulda come with a 1979 Maganvox.
I know this is nitpicking, but for the price and such a nice looking player, Id expect more from the remote. But hey, at least it's backlit (probably so I can blind the burglar before I beat him to death with it).

Downloaded it last night. Man it is fast. I'm going to bring it back downstairs and see if it fixes the problems with the Pioneer.

S~

E-mailed Oppo:

1. Still cannot play 3D running through the Pioneer 1020 using HDMI1. Still have to use HDMI2 or run HDMI1 to the TV and HDMI2 to the receiver for audio.
2. When hitting the skip button to skip previews, there is a popping sound.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)