Opportunity to design a home theater

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Ok, we are in the process of buying a new construction home, and I have the opportunity to build a home theater in the basement (discussing the home purchase in the Pub), but I wanted to get some input from the HT gurus about several questions.

1) What is a good size in terms of room dimensions for a Home Theater setup?

2) I have no experience at all with projector systems, but know they are 720p systems; how does the picture quality compare with a 1080p LCD or Plasma? I know I can go for a rather large screen (i.e., up to 100"), but again, what is quality?

Again, I have NO EXPERIENCE whatsoever with this type of system, but for some reason my wife is actually encouraging me to make sure we include a theater in the finishing of the basement (I am sure there must be a catch, but so far, I am not sure what it is ;) .

Not trying to create a state of the art setup, just a decent one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ok, we are in the process of buying a new construction home, and I have the opportunity to build a home theater in the basement (discussing the home purchase in the Pub), but I wanted to get some input from the HT gurus about several questions.

1) What is a good size in terms of room dimensions for a Home Theater setup?

Well on the SM to MD size I would say 16'w x 24'd
..and you can go nuts on the LG to XL sizes.

2) I have no experience at all with projector systems, but know they are 720p systems; how does the picture quality compare with a 1080p LCD or Plasma? I know I can go for a rather large screen (i.e., up to 100"), but again, what is quality?

The 720 & 1080 FPTV are astonishing; even the 720 rivals the "flat panels".

Some to look at maybe:

Sanyo PLV-Z2000
Sanyo PLV-Z4 or 5
Panasonic PT-AE1000U
Panasonic PT-AE2000U
Panasonic AE900U
Panasonic PT-AX100U or 200U

and 106" - 119" DaLite Deluxe B or Model C in HC Matte White (or a auto screen if you want to spend)[/quote]

Again, I have NO EXPERIENCE whatsoever with this type of system, but for some reason my wife is actually encouraging me to make sure we include a theater in the finishing of the basement (I am sure there must be a catch, but so far, I am not sure what it is ;) .

Not trying to create a state of the art setup, just a decent one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Rocky, I just put in my HT system this past fall and love it. I purchased the Panasonic PT-AX200U (720P) with a Da-Lite 106" screen and the picture quality is unbelievable. :D I have a Toshiba A2 and a PS3 hooked up to it and I couldn't be happier.

TIP: Listen very closely to Charper as he was a very big help when I was looking at things this past fall.

Last edited:
This is excellent, and already helpful. Its what I absolutely love about SatelliteGuys.

Thanks. It sounds like a great way to get a lot of bang for the buck.

Hey GREAT IDEA; save any retyping. Good luck with it Rocky! Let us know how it turns out. I will say on mine, the wife was all bent at 1st, not SHE watches more than I do and that's shocking!

...I have the opportunity to build a home theater in the basement...
When planing the layout, don't forget about audio.
The ideal ratio is 1.6 (the first Fibonacci number) often used in buiding rectangular speaker enclosures.
So, if your ceiling is 8', the ideal dimensions would be 8'/13'/21'. With the screen along the 13' wall.
You can deviate from those (and probably will) but avoid square floor plans (standing waves).

This could be overkill, but here is an interesting recent blog about home theater construction
AnandTech ("Men in Black": This is the Orion Belt...:))

Diogen.

EDIT: The number actually is [sqrt(5)+1]/2 = 1.618...

Home theater magazine did a very good series several years ago. I definitely second diogen's statement, but you also need to look into things like sound absorbing wallboard, perforated vs solid screens, indirect lighting design, seat risers (if it is big enough to have a second row), ceiling clearance, etc, etc.

The big thing with dimensions is to have a room where no dimension shares a common denominator with another 10W * 12L * 8H is bad. 8H * 11W *13L is much better.

The equipment is more fun, but the basic room design comes first. I think this site has some pretty good info: Your Home Theater Design: Your Script to Building the Ultimate Home Theater Experience

Thanks. Much to be thinking about.

Also, where do people put components, i.e., HD DVD, AV/Receiver, Dish Receiver? I was thinking of having a access behind the screen wall - in an unfinished part of the cellar. But am not sure what the best bet is on that, or on how long a run of HDMI I would need to get to the projector.

All new stuff for me. I am still in shock my wife is letting me do this. ;)

I was thinking of having a access behind the screen wall - in an unfinished part of the cellar.
There are pros and cons to that...
On one hand, it is useful to see the screen while fiddling with the equipment.
On the other, it is nice to hide it completely from seeing it.

If your basement layout allows to have space behind the screen wall, I'd use it to set up the equipment rack in one of the corners, flash with the screen.
In this case you could also think about getting a sound transparent screen and hide all three front speakers behind it...

Do you have a certain budget $$$ number for this project?

Diogen.

There are pros and cons to that...
On one hand, it is useful to see the screen while fiddling with the equipment.
On the other, it is nice to hide it completely from seeing it.

If your basement layout allows to have space behind the screen wall, I'd use it to set up the equipment rack in one of the corners, flash with the screen.
In this case you could also think about getting a sound transparent screen and hide all three front speakers behind it...

Do you have a certain budget $$$ number for this project?

Diogen.

I kind of prefer to put the equipment in the back. I think it adds to the effect because the operator (Mike) can do his stuff without disturbing the audience. In addition, all those pretty lights from the equipment don't get in the way. If done right, you can build a projection booth to contain the projector, equipment and a fair amount of media. Build it high with a step up from behind.

I like the idea of hiding the speakers. I also like the idea of building a small "stage" under the screen and hiding the speakers under it. That may very well cost less than the perf screen.

I kind of prefer to put the equipment in the back.
I do, too.
But running even reasonably priced speaker cables can become not so cheap... :)
I also like the idea of building a small "stage" under the screen and hiding the speakers under it.
You mean inside the stage? That would limit the number of seat rows to one...
That may very well cost less than the perf screen.
Most definitely. Those ain't cheap...

Diogen.

Why would the stage take up more room than allowing space behind the screen or even allowing space for floor standing speakers?
Not what I meant.
If the sound is angled from the floor up to the listener (i.e. speakers inside the stage, 1 foot from the floor), the first row will be OK
but the sound will fly over the head of the second (and also shielded by the first).

Floorstanding would be just fine and probably the most cost effective...

Diogen.

Now I need to figure out the design of the HT room; I am sealing the deal on the house in the morning, and he wants to start asap on the basement, as it is under 2 months until we close.

So, I need to decide on where to have him put it, and how large it should be. Here is a PDF of the blueprint.

There will be a 1/2 bath in the location where the rough-in is; a family room (which will probably be a large open room), the mechanical room will be unfinished) and the theater room -- maybe the future bedroom in the plans can also be built; but I need to get ideas for how to proceed with the builder.

Attachments

• basement.pdf
    56 KB · Views: 233
There will be a 1/2 bath in the location where the rough-in is; a family room (which will probably be a large open room), the mechanical room will be unfinished) and the theater room -- maybe the future bedroom in the plans can also be built; but I need to get ideas for how to proceed with the builder.
Will that corner space marked "Future Bedroom" actually be a bedroom?

If not, I'd look into moving the bathroom into the corner and use the rest of the top space (between the outside wall and the beam) as a theater.

If both, the washroom and bedroom, have to be where they are, think about having one great room ("Full Basement" text in the middle) with the theater at one of the ends.
Or maybe move the bedroom into the space to the left from the washroom and extend this great room up to the top of the plan. Theater in the "Future Bedroom" space.

Is there anything that has to be at a certain place in the basement?

Diogen.

Will that corner space marked "Future Bedroom" actually be a bedroom?

If not, I'd look into moving the bathroom into the corner and use the rest of the top space (between the outside wall and the beam) as a theater.

If both, the washroom and bedroom, have to be where they are, think about having one great room ("Full Basement" text in the middle) with the theater at one of the ends.
Or maybe move the bedroom into the space to the left from the washroom and extend this great room up to the top of the plan. Theater in the "Future Bedroom" space.

Is there anything that has to be at a certain place in the basement?

Diogen.

There is a rough-in for the bathroom, but I was looking at it, and it might be possible to design the bathroom so it pushes towards the future bedroom in the plans, and give space for the theater towards the front of the house in that space; and leave the large space next to the "mechanical room" as the family room.

Gotta get a better sense of dimensions, so the theater room is of an appropriate size.

Thinking of using an existing 6' glass/tempered steel B'Ello Audio rack I have to store components, in the back of the theater. That would shorten the length of cable runs from the projector.

Now I need to figure out the design of the HT room; I am sealing the deal on the house in the morning, and he wants to start asap on the basement, as it is under 2 months until we close.

So, I need to decide on where to have him put it, and how large it should be. Here is a PDF of the blueprint.

First where ever your equipment will be have a sub-panel (min 30A) installed 220V. One phase will only be for lighting,fans or room outlets. The other phase will run all of your audio/video equipment. At the main panel install a whole-house surge protector on a free breaker and be sure your ground is properly bonded. Then think about the cooling/heating requirements because no matter now good the HT is nobody will want to be there if their not comfortable. If you have central HVAC then separate zone for the HT is a must. A mini-split also works well ductless if you can't use a existing system. A duct just for your equipment area is a good idea and don't forget to have a return duct for the HT. An intercom/phone flasher and smoke alarms for the area should be in the plan.

PVC conduit in the overhead from the equipment location to all other areas where the speakers/projector/etc will be. One for A/V cables an one for AC power. Use the largest size possible because is a bear to pull cables sometimes. (2 inch)

Then think about sound (isolation, acoustics). This a a lot more important than the actual equipment. Spend a lot of time on speaker placement and sound traps/panels. A small false wall in front will allow for room treatments and hide speakers/equipment.

Ideas/info Acoustic Sciences Soundproofing and Sound Conditioning
Question about HT sound [Text View] - AVS Forum

PS. Your A/V equipment should be the last thing you buy and install.

There is a rough-in for the bathroom, but I was looking at it, and it might be possible to design the bathroom so it pushes towards the future bedroom in the plans, and give space for the theater towards the front of the house...
I believe that would be a good plan...

The total external space from the external wall to the beam is around 30'x12'. Accounting for the bathroom, walls, studs, drywall, etc. will leave about 25'x11'. That is a nice layout to work with, even with space behind a screen if needed.

The other beam (15' from the front basement wall) would be a nice place for projector placement. From that distance most of the projectors will do anything from 90" to 120".

Even if you leave space for floor standing speakers, around 9' width will be left for the screen - good enough for 120" screen. I'd go with 100" or so max.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)