Opportunity to design a home theater

I believe that would be a good plan...

The total external space from the external wall to the beam is around 30'x12'. Accounting for the bathroom, walls, studs, drywall, etc. will leave about 25'x11'. That is a nice layout to work with, even with space behind a screen if needed.

The other beam (15' from the front basement wall) would be a nice place for projector placement. From that distance most of the projectors will do anything from 90" to 120".

Even if you leave space for floor standing speakers, around 9' width will be left for the screen - good enough for 120" screen. I'd go with 100" or so max.

Diogen.

THANKS for that advice.

I would be more than happy with 100." Considering I am watching a 34" CRT right now ;) Speaking of which, I am selling it. While I love the PQ on it, the beast weights 220 lbs. And I do not want to get it to Illinois. I will replace it with a 40ish inch LCD panel.

Spend a little time over on Projector Reviews: Latest 3LCD, DLP, and Home Theater Projectors Reviews just to get a better idea of what to expect from a projector and how they all stack up. Good reviews and other information there.

There are several 1080p projectors available for under $3K these days so you don't have to go 720p if you don't want to even though 720p is getting the job done and looks good doing it!

THANKS. Will do. While I would love 1080p; I think marital harmony would dictate starting with 720p. :D

Here's a few shots I really like because it shows you what you can get away with even if you don't wall off your theater room. Just food for thought on an open space use.

HTBar2959.jpg

HTWide2960.jpg

HTMid2963.jpg

I believe that would be a good plan...

The total external space from the external wall to the beam is around 30'x12'. Accounting for the bathroom, walls, studs, drywall, etc. will leave about 25'x11'. That is a nice layout to work with, even with space behind a screen if needed.

The other beam (15' from the front basement wall) would be a nice place for projector placement. From that distance most of the projectors will do anything from 90" to 120".

Even if you leave space for floor standing speakers, around 9' width will be left for the screen - good enough for 120" screen. I'd go with 100" or so max.

Diogen.

I am staring at these plans and struggling to see how I could get 25x11 given the need to have the bathroom somewhat near the middle. I only have two photos of part of the basement right now; I am attaching them. it shows the rough-in for the shower and the bathroom stuff. It looks like the bathroom PVC is about in the middle, and thus the wall of the bathroom could be just on the other side of that, and push towards the future room.

But if I did that, would that be big enough for the theater?

I wish the rough in for the bathroom was NOT where it is. It makes design more difficult.

Attachments

• basement1.jpg
    basement1.jpg
    749 KB · Views: 114
  • basement2.jpg
    basement2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 93
  • basement2.pdf
    67.7 KB · Views: 120
Rocky,

If you are going to design it for theater use, go with 2.35:1 Constant Image Height. I am now using the JVC DLA-HD100 with a Stewart Cine-W screen.

If you want a regular 16:9 projector and screen I really like the JVC HD-1 and the Mits 6000.

S~

I am staring at these plans and struggling to see how I could get 25x11...
That was an estimate assuming you can move it completely into the corner, where the bedroom is now.

BTW, this isn't too hard.
I did move mine about 6 feet: opening the cement floor (about 1-2" thick), attach sewer pipes, patch the floor. Took one weekend, doing alone.
Yours will be twice as long. Don't know your basement building codes, could be different from Canadian.
But from the picture it looks just like our basement when unfinished.

Diogen.

EDIT: And you would have a Japanese style washroom...
From reading some 30 years ago: when building a new house in Japan,
the room with the best view through the window is always a washroom...:)

Last edited:
Here's a few shots I really like because it shows you what you can get away with even if you don't wall off your theater room. Just food for thought on an open space use.

Images Deleted...

I am thinking seriously about this (an open design) as an alternative; as the layout of the basement, in terms of the placement of the rough-in for the bathroom and the stairs is making me wonder if the open space might be an equally good option.

I just have seen it done SO BADLY in many of the houses we looked at, I want to make sure this is done right.

Then again, so many of the "finished" basements were really done cheaply, and I am going to have the benefit of a builder designing the basement as a continuation of the house itself; same walls, same ceilings, same lighting, etc...

QUESTION: What is the minimum distance I need from screen to projector, for a 100" screen?

You'd think I'd be able to find this out easily, but I go round and round with different sites, and still not certain.

QUESTION: What is the minimum distance I need from screen to projector, for a 100" screen?

You'd think I'd be able to find this out easily, but I go round and round with different sites, and still not certain.

It can vary by manufacturer. Figure a minimum of at least 13-14 feet. Most will work nicely at this range.

S~

I am thinking seriously about this (an open design) as an alternative; as the layout of the basement, in terms of the placement of the rough-in for the bathroom and the stairs is making me wonder if the open space might be an equally good option.

I just have seen it done SO BADLY in many of the houses we looked at, I want to make sure this is done right.

Then again, so many of the "finished" basements were really done cheaply, and I am going to have the benefit of a builder designing the basement as a continuation of the house itself; same walls, same ceilings, same lighting, etc...
The primary concerns for the open style is light control and audio quality. Notice the can lights and sconces in the pics, allowing tight control over lighting in the whole area. Even a little light will cut the quality of your image. Audio is PARAMOUNT for a good theater. My guests really like the big screen but what always impresses them is the cinema sound and the strong subwoofer. The sub is tuned to kick in at the frequencies that you feel as much as you hear. You need the rumble and feel of the movie to seal the deal.

I'd love to have a dedicated room that I could make 100% Theater but just don't have that luxury currently. Those pics convinced me (and the wife) that we could make the tv room cinema friendly and still get most of what I wanted from it.

720p, 1.5 times the screen width
1080p, 1.0 to 1.2 times screen width

Width, not diagonal.

EDIT: This is viewing distance.
For the PJ, you need to look at the calculator at Projector Central.

The primary concerns for the open style is light control and audio quality. Notice the can lights and sconces in the pics, allowing tight control over lighting in the whole area. Even a little light will cut the quality of your image. Audio is PARAMOUNT for a good theater. My guests really like the big screen but what always impresses them is the cinema sound and the strong subwoofer. The sub is tuned to kick in at the frequencies that you feel as much as you hear. You need the rumble and feel of the movie to seal the deal.

I'd love to have a dedicated room that I could make 100% Theater but just don't have that luxury currently. Those pics convinced me (and the wife) that we could make the tv room cinema friendly and still get most of what I wanted from it.

I was thinking abotu that; since the open rooms are so deep; you would have sound escaping; and only have side surround and not rear surround.

I THINk we can still do the dedicated room, I am just struggling with the layout of the basement (the darn bath rough-in, the placement of the stairs, and the ONE egress window in the basement messes it up a bit.

I am hopeful that the builder will have some suggestions.

Most PJs will work well in the 14 to 16 foot range from the screen. You can put them closer and some can sit farther away but I think the 14 to16 foot range is the sweet spot for most of the models you will look at.

Most PJs will work well in the 14 to 16 foot range from the screen. You can put them closer and some can sit farther away but I think the 14 to16 foot range is the sweet spot for most of the models you will look at.

Thanks for that, and for the ratio information.

I really wish I had weeks to design this, instead of such a short time to figure out the room dimensions. AND if I do not do the theater now, I KNOW it will never happen.

Thanks for that, and for the ratio information.

I really wish I had weeks to design this, instead of such a short time to figure out the room dimensions. AND if I do not do the theater now, I KNOW it will never happen.
Then we need to work fast!
When can you no longer make changes to the plans?

You have the bath shifted all the way into the future bdrm but if you shift it just halfway, enough to give you 3 more feet in the theater room, then bring the theater/bath wall out to the stairs and put a door in near the stairs, although odd shaped at the stairs end, you would have a room 12 feet or so wide and the triangular corner behind the stairs would give you an area to put your media shelves and equipment. Put your seats up by the stairs with their backs to the stairs facing the wall that is labelled 15' 1/4".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts