Orby bitrate

I guess you didn't see the part where a antenna is part of the install

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
And you missed the part where many can't get OTA even with the outdoor antenna provided. Both because the antenna would probably be pretty low to the ground and because the antenna isn't strong enough.
For instance around here. Not counting the slew of religious locals with an indoor antenna and the cheaper outdoor antenna only ABC, Fox and their sub-channels can be gotten. In order to get CBS and NBC you need to point a bit different and they will be flakey even then. The cure is a higher antenna with a rotator, and in some areas not even that would get the job done.

And you missed the part where many can't get OTA even with the outdoor antenna provided. Both because the antenna would probably be pretty low to the ground and because the antenna isn't strong enough.
For instance around here. Not counting the slew of religious locals with an indoor antenna and the cheaper outdoor antenna only ABC, Fox and their sub-channels can be gotten. In order to get CBS and NBC you need to point a bit different and they will be flakey even then. The cure is a higher antenna with a rotator, and in some areas not even that would get the job done.

Would you pay $12 a month for out of area locals via satellite?

At the shop I swap between a 55" 4k and a 34" 1080p.

You guys with an opinion about how bad the PQ must be, what size TV have you watched the Orby TV channels on?

0.00"? LOL

To be fair, you’ve got to remember what our frame of reference is for SD programming.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
To be fair, you’ve got to remember what our frame of reference is for SD programming.
You also have to consider how many SD TVs there are left and what percentage of TV subscribers are getting those same channels in HD. Orby has kind of painted themselves into a rather small corner. Budget digital TVs plus SD content = marginal experience.

I believe that VOOM got as far as it did because it pushed the envelope of picture quality and Orby is entering the market closer to the other end of the scale.

Amazing discussions on this new service... Guys who own an Orby TV system commenting on the bitrate and how good the HD and SD services look vs the guys who have not even seen Orby TV... Only on a forum.... LOL!!!

I think myself, bobvick and harshness have valid points. Maybe you have $250 to throw away to experiment on Orby, but not all of us do. And what compelling reason would the common person have to try it? Why would I be compelled to leave Dish and try it? In your previous post, you mention that Orby has 16 HD channels. Isn't that less than any other provider's most basic package? I'm sorry but I'm not the type to jump on bandwagons and act like a fanboy just because there's a new pay-TV service on Ku. From what one user has told me, the SD channels on Orby look like The Patient Channel on 87W. I'm trying to *improve* my TV experience, not rewind the clock.

For me personally, there is absolutely no reason to abandon Dish Network for this startup service. If it works for others, that's great. But it has a high cost to entry, it has few true HD channels, and it doesn't have a proven track record yet. I wish them well, but at this time it's not for me.

for-that-reason-im-out.jpg

Its geared for those who want to cut the cord and save money on their TV service yet do not have access to good broadband.

Wouldn't those people still be better off with Dish? Free install, more HD programming, price locks... guaranteed track record, no out of pocket costs.

For example, I currently count 29 non-local HD channels in my guide with my Welcome Pack subscription. When you add in my local channels (OTA and Dish provided) that adds an additional 68 channels with perfect guide integration. Before discounts and taxes, I pay $25.99. I didn't pay for my equipment or install, only my OTA adapter. Knowing all that, what reason would I have to encourage someone to get Orby? I think it's a legitimate discussion to have.

Wouldn't those people still be better off with Dish? Free install, more HD programming, price locks... guaranteed track record, no out of pocket costs.

For example, I currently count 29 non-local HD channels in my guide with my Welcome Pack subscription. When you add in my local channels (OTA and Dish provided) that adds an additional 68 channels with perfect guide integration. Before discounts and taxes, I pay $25.99. I didn't pay for my equipment or install, only my OTA adapter. Knowing all that, what reason would I have to encourage someone to get Orby? I think it's a legitimate discussion to have.
Much cheaper than dish

Add in all the dish fees instead of just the teaser price

$31.30, because I also have the Epix/6months for $3.50 deal. So yeah, not going to shell out $250 minimum to install for a lesser service and pay more than I pay now each month. That would be stupid.

test.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dishdude
The only point that I have addressed in this thread is the PQ. Yes, everyone has valid points to why anyone would subscribe to any service. No one is suggesting that you leave any other service or rewind a clock to try Orby. Remember that only two days ago you didn't even know the service had HD. :) I agree, if you are happy with what you currently have, why ever change? Don't be stupid!

None of my posts have advocated for anyone to jump ship from any service. My posts have been made from the viewpoint of a real subscriber and I have attempted to document my experience for those who are considering the service. As you have read, there have have been up/downs... hardly a fan boy. LOL

In my opinion, it is one helluva good deal for a $100 equipment investment for side car on my FTA system. To get a complete installed package for $250 that you can Craigslist and get at least $100 back if the service isn't for you. No commitment, no contract, a pay as I go package and it does not rely on internet. I plan on using it at my office for viewing mainstream programming and transfer to the RV for weekend outings. Both locations currently have no subscription package. If I were to "experiment" with subscribing to either Dish or Direct, it would be a complete hardware install, cost more each month and termination would be more than $100 to get out of the contract.

About time that a company like Orby TV is tipping over the apple cart. If nothing else, maybe this will force other providers to look at their distribution model and start offering skinny packages via satellite.

You have reasons that the service isn't for you, and I have reasons it works for me. My bet is on this service being a game changer for cord cutters and those looking for an alternative skinny package. Pay as you go revolutionized the cellular industry and now it is poised to do the same with satellite distribution. Just my 2 cents.

Now back to the thread discussion of bitrate and PQ....

My bet is on this service being a game changer for cord cutters and those looking for an alternative skinny package

I still think the cost to entry will be a barrier to many in Orby's prime demo, but time will tell. Unlike prepaid cellular phones, you can't go to Dollar General and get an Orby box for $20, so it isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. But like I said, I want them to do well and hopefully they will adjust their strategy as people buy into it.

Reactions: dishdude
I still think the cost to entry will be a barrier to many in Orby's prime demo, but time will tell. Unlike prepaid cellular phones, you can't go to Dollar General and get an Orby box for $20, so it isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. But like I said, I want them to do well and hopefully they will adjust their strategy as people buy into it.

Burner cells didn't start at $20 when the pay as you go price model was introduced. Everything in perspective. :)