Orby bitrate

It's not advertised but still available. You have to call and request it.

welcome_pack.jpg

Gotca just saw this on dish website.

Everything in perspective. :)

And in an apple to apples to apples comparison of cost:

1. Is there a credit check?
  • Orby TV: No
  • Welcome: ______
  • Flex: ______

2. Cancellation fee?
  • Orby TV: $0

2a. If so, if wish to cancel after one month, or six months, twelve months, eighteen months, what are the out of pocket costs?
  • Orby TV: $100 or $250 and able to sell the equipment (maybe half price?)

3. Reconnect fee?

4. AutoPay a requirement?
  • Orby TV: No
5. Vacation option?
The list could go on, but this is the beauty of pay as you go. :)

The list could go on, but this is the beauty of pay as you go.

Doesn't matter how beautiful it is if the customer can't pony up a minimum $250 to have basic TV service. Cost to entry is a big problem with this service when their prime demo is the rural and/or budget-conscious customer. It's a "pay a bunch up front, maybe save some money later" concept. No resale value on the receiver if they go belly-up, either. The receiver has zero redeemable qualities outside of the Orby service since it's locked down and Nagravision-only.

The common TV consumer is used to a minimal cost to entry. If Orby's target audience were cash-rich FTA customers who want a "sidecar" system, they'd never make it.

We (myself included) are willing to spend a lot of money on FTA because its a hobby. We aren't your typical customer.

Orby at $250 installed is not too bad you get Off Air Ant installed outside. I think the market is folks paying current provider $80-$90 a month. Can't get good internet or has no interest in learning "IP/OTT" video delivery. Just wants to channel surf.

$90 Cable Bill
Orby TV ROI - $90-$40=$50 per month savings. Cost $250/$50 = 5 Months

Plus if you don't renew you still get your local channels free from the orby install.

We will all see how it plays out. I don't see the average customer able to realize the potential savings, because quite frankly they aren't willing to do the math and aren't willing to spend that kind of money upfront.

We will all see how it plays out. I don't see the average customer able to realize the potential savings, because quite frankly they aren't willing to do the math and aren't willing to spend that kind of money upfront.

I think its for the frugal type customer that thinks. Your right Not the idiots that sign up for ATT TV and 100Mbps for $75 a month and don't ask what the second and third year cost lol

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I dont see the upfront expensive at all.

I like the fact you can turn it off and on as you wish.

Reports from Best Buy is that it is selling better then they thought.

Its a great way to get more TV, and I am told they are working on adding more channels.

$40 a month with no taxes.. not bad. And they have all the channels I watch. Although since I have DISH and DIRECTV I have no plans on subscribing.

Consider this scenario: I live in a rural area, our town's population is less than 1000. Every week I get flyers in the mail advertising Dish and Direct. They heavily target rural areas. They all advertise their promotions, all of which have $0 cost to entry. Price points with contracts always somewhere between $29.99-$59.99 with free installs.

Now, imagine if Orby started to advertise in that same circular, and they show "Satellite TV for only $40 per month! Only $250 to get started!"

Which deal is the customer going to take? They aren't going to go home, sit down with a pro/con sheet, get out a calculator, do some math, then take a bet on a company they've never heard of that also could be fly-by-night. They're going to choose Dish or Direct, take the contract, and ride it out or cancel and eat the ETF. Every single one of my neighbors has Dish or Direct, except for one older couple who do OTA. Not a single one of them would pony up $250 for this service and I can absolutely guarantee that.

Reactions: SHSPVR
I think the Flex Pack is a better comparison to Orby's package offering.
This is exactly what I was thinking. You can't compare the Welcome pack.
For one it is on the way out(being disco'd)
Also, you have to sign up with DISH and run through your contract with a higher package until you can request it.
You can(or you could), get Welcome pack from the start if you buy your equipment up front and install your self or pay for install............but here you are back like Orby.
...and thirdly, the channels are not where near the same. The Welcome pack has mostly off the wall niche channels.

Another thing you guys are not looking at. We are power users. Do you know how many people I ask and they have no clue, if a channel they are watching is SD or HD.
Plus the masses don't care, it is all about content and what shows they want to watch.

This is exactly what I was thinking. You can't compare the Welcome pack.
For one it is on the way out(being disco'd)
Also, you have to sign up with DISH and run through your contract with a higher package until you can request it.
You can(or you could), get Welcome pack from the start if you buy your equipment up front and install your self or pay for install............but here you are back like Orby.
...and thirdly, the channels are not where near the same. The Welcome pack has mostly off the wall niche channels.

Another thing you guys are not looking at. We are power users. Do you know how many people I ask and they have no clue, if a channel they are watching is SD or HD.
Plus the masses don't care, it is all about content and what shows they want to watch.

Just to clarify, you can get Flex Pack as a new customer and they'll subsidize your install. So that saves $150

Last edited:
Just to clarify, you can get Flex Pack as a new customer and they'll subsidize your install. So that saves $150

But you still have to speak with a call center person. Orby is way easier. In fact I would be willing to bet the pro‘s here at satguys could order orby stb from bestbuy website install and activated in less time then just calling dish network to order flex/welcome pack.

Last edited:
But you still have to speak with a call center person. Orby is way easier. In fact I would be willing to bet the pro‘s here at satguys could order orby stb from bestbuy website install and activated in less time then just calling dish network to order flex/welcome pack.

So you'd rather pay $150 for an install so you don't have to talk to a CSR?

:facepalm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts